1 2
JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
11/30/14 9:06 p.m.

....is on now via the History Channel.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
12/1/14 3:23 p.m.

Watched it. Meh. a 4runner with a 22re, with an over heating issue. Doesn't quite seem like the most prepared competitor. Could be so much better. The first day was 8 hours of competitive driving, but they showed a little sand trap and an old mining trail, hardly hard core.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
12/1/14 3:56 p.m.

It's a great premise...right idea...wrong execution.

But, I'll probably still watch it.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/14 7:49 a.m.

Would have been better with different characters....

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/3/14 7:49 a.m.

Would have been better with different characters....

JKady
JKady New Reader
12/7/14 6:04 p.m.

Only interest in it for me is seeing Jantz and his SuperJeep. Man builds some of the trickest axle/drivetrain parts around for the off-road world and he's fairly local to me.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/7/14 6:34 p.m.

The failures so far seem silly to me. Not sure why you wouldn't show up with a well-prepped vehicle.

Better than most of what's on tv though, so i'm watching it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/14/14 9:50 p.m.

It's funny that they try to pass off the newer 4runner as mostly stock.

The more I see of that thing flexing out on bouldets, the more I think that thing is a ridiculous sleeper and built to an extreme only surpassed by Super Jeepm

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
12/17/14 5:03 a.m.

I had to DVR it and just watched it. The Rover was already on borrowed time, cooking the engine was too bad. They will probably get it fixed and make a comeback just to finish it up.

I think the guy in the newer 4Runner is way too scared of his sister. Weird.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/17/14 8:10 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: I had to DVR it and just watched it. The Rover was already on borrowed time, cooking the engine was too bad. They will probably get it fixed and make a comeback just to finish it up. I think the guy in the newer 4Runner is way too scared of his sister. Weird.

I'm looking at old promo pics for the show and they have a Range Rover Classic. Wonder what happened to that?

The sister/wife/whatever doesn't seem to be a bad driver, but it's annoying watching them because i know that truck would be fighting for the lead if they would just be a little more aggressive with it.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
12/17/14 3:08 p.m.

No clue on the Classic.

The 4Runners strategy is to let everyone go flat out and then try to limp along to the end. Then, they can move steadily towards the front.

But, I agree, it appears to be a well designed/built rig.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
12/29/14 2:40 p.m.

Not sure why but I am hooked on this show. Has to be the stupidity of the whole thing and how it is run I guess. No seatbelt/harness rules, all sorts of hanging bits in the cars to bash your head on. Getting stuck for hours in mud when someone else figures out how to just drive by. I am also amazed that three of five vehicles are toyotas. Wonder what the support vehicles are, they have to go through all this crap too!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/29/14 2:50 p.m.

I see that the Land Rover boys are back next week.

Jeep guys don't seem to be driving smartly.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/31/14 5:15 p.m.

Nothing to say, other than cool to see GRM of road is hanging on. No TV.

slowride
slowride Reader
1/1/15 3:18 p.m.

I like the idea of the show but as usual with reality tv, it's not quite as good as it seems like it could be.

The drama seems really fake and forced (like the Rover guy yelling about the trees and the twitchy guy calling the other guy "Butchie")

The old 4Runner got a flat and then had a different wheel for the rest of that episode, but then the original wheel is back in the next episode. I don't mind it, but they could show some of the support they get.

I don't know about the old 4runner dudes. Sometimes during their parts I feel more like I'm watching Intervention. The one with hair is apparently driving/riding 8 hours while sitting on a pistol (which I get for the bears or whatever, but it seems like he could keep it in the car instead). And his brother, how is he keeping his head so cleanly shaven all the time?

I don't think I could stand to ride all that time in such tight quarters. They seem to be right up on the steering wheels and then have all kinds of crap just strewn all over around them. It would drive me nuts.

All that said, I'm surprised at how capable the War Wagon seems to be.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/4/15 12:29 a.m.

Somehow I didn't see this thread, mainly because I barely come in the off-road forum.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/4/15 12:47 a.m.

Honestly a few of these rigs don't seem suited for the terrain. One truck has a land anchor? Come on, that should be a necessity for the E36 M3 that they do on what seems to be a regular basis.

The old 4-Runner is just worn out and is out of it's league. It's been pulled out of almost every single sign of mud.

The newer 4-Runner is definitely modded seeing that it has a solid front axle. It maybe a sleeper for sure.

Even though the Land Cruiser seems to be getting through everything ok, but I think it's way too long of a wheelbase.

The Super Jeep is crazy, but it just looks overloaded.

I dug the Land Rover, but I expected it to be taken out. Now I see they'll be back with a different rig.

It's all made up drama, but it's not horrible.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/5/15 12:21 p.m.

Well it looks like the brothers who have the older 4-Runner finally stopped (actually forced) relying on other people to pull them out. I was wondering when everyone was going to leave them behind, since they have needed to be pulled out of every mud pit.

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
1/5/15 4:10 p.m.

I thought the Rover boys would be back, I like this rig better than the first one. I am also surprised the brothers made it this far.

slowride
slowride Reader
1/7/15 10:04 a.m.

I'm starting to think Rover was allowed to come back because he's willing to issue vague threats to the other teams on camera on a regular basis.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/7/15 10:23 a.m.

I don't see the Jeep lasting much longer. I don't know why the brothers are still here, nor am i positive why they showed up in the first place.

Makes me wonder how far up the newer 4Runner would be if they hadn't been weighed down by those underprepped morons for the last few weeks.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/7/15 11:09 a.m.

Am I the only one who wants to punch that bald-headed moron in the Jeep in the face? I didn't like Butch at first, but he's not as annoying as that bald headed scrotum.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/7/15 11:25 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Am I the only one who wants to punch that bald-headed moron in the Jeep in the face? I didn't like Butch at first, but he's not as annoying as that bald headed scrotum.

Nope, he sucks. Butch is a drama queen, but this guy is just clueless.

I had to laugh at the Rover guys, though. "We're so light we just float over mud!" Cut to vehicle specs: 4000lbs.

You know what weighs a LOT less than that? An XJ Cherokee. Or that early 4runner.

Why are there no Cherokees on this?

slowride
slowride Reader
1/7/15 2:19 p.m.

And right after the lightness comment... stuck in the mud.

Also I'm now getting annoyed with the land anchor stuff. They keep showing that graphic and then playing dramatic music like it's a secret weapon and people who have one or use their jack in a similar way are geniuses.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/7/15 3:48 p.m.
slowride wrote: And right after the lightness comment... stuck in the mud. Also I'm now getting annoyed with the land anchor stuff. They keep showing that graphic and then playing dramatic music like it's a secret weapon and people who have one or use their jack in a similar way are geniuses.

Only one team has one!

Errrrr i mean... they all have some form of one!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OVbRrNowxByU6jkpthdwixTWshfrbWLB1x3BREFUamggjxQhwFRDh9NrYMHzWZlb