SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/19/15 7:48 p.m.

What a dumbass.

http://youtu.be/3HYqTmYqwkA

wae
wae HalfDork
1/19/15 8:01 p.m.

Well.. Technically speaking it did work - the high-centered truck was freed.

I wonder where he got the idea that his tow strap was supposed to be used that way.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/15 8:43 p.m.

Wonder if that pull eye was factory or a add on. He may want to attach it to the frame next time.

Ford hasn't made a front bumper that will take that kind of abuse in 40 years.

xd
xd Reader
1/19/15 9:37 p.m.

That is why I carry Bubba Rope. In my recovery bag. This stuff flips me out. We wheel in the mountains here where you don't do dumb stuff.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/19/15 10:20 p.m.

Don't the europeans have those sproingy ropes where the idea is to do just that and let the rope snap-pull the rig out?

kylini
kylini Reader
1/19/15 10:23 p.m.

Reminds me of the first Rolex Grand Am at the Kansas Speedway. The SCCA-trained workers weren't allowed on track so recovery was done by the normal track NASCAR peeps. We saw a car get their tow hook, and then their strut bar (!!) get ripped off by the recovery truck. Yeaaaaah.....

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
1/19/15 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

If it was a 4wd ranger, pretty sure those are stock tow points on a crossbrace between the frame rails.

I like the no hesitation - close door, full throttle in reverse before the camera man can even catch up.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/15 10:39 p.m.

In reply to Brokeback:

Figures. The tow points on the front of my Samurai are build into the 3/8s plate winch bumper and held in place with 4, 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I still wouldn't snatch like that.

I believe that young man learned a valuable lesson. And it's only going to cost him a bumper.

You should see what a 2" ball will do under the same situation when the shank snaps. That one almost went through a tailgate on a 70s Ford truck. 3" higher and it would have hit the driver in the back of the head.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/20/15 5:50 a.m.

it actually snapped the right front frame horn off. Sheered free of the frame.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/20/15 3:09 p.m.

If it is a snatch strap it is designed to store momentum by doing just what he did. The mistake he made was pulling a dodge with a ford. Obviously its the ford that is going to break.......

Powar
Powar SuperDork
1/21/15 7:32 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: If it is a snatch strap it is designed to store momentum by doing just what he did. The mistake he made was pulling a dodge with a ford. Obviously its both that are going to break.......

FTFY

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
1/21/15 8:39 a.m.

Well that was entertaining

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
1/21/15 9:26 a.m.

FTFY

For real

bearmtnmartin wrote: If it is a snatch strap it is designed to store momentum by doing just what he did. The mistake he made was pulling a dodge with a Mazda. Obviously its the Mazda that is going to break.......
T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/21/15 9:34 a.m.

I've seen that same guy pull a water skier before.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/22/15 10:20 p.m.

He just thought it was a snatch strap and it wasn't. If it was his own strap he'd actually bought, or if he'd EVER done this before, that wouldn't have happened.

Basically, this is what he gets for being young, inexperienced, and enthusiastic. A big slap in the face. Hooray.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IfbRWuJPyutgZp7bCajLWwtuWEr84LVNZTwrTqAsqBByW7xJqG3kTPOH6bOytFeD