SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/6/15 10:17 p.m.

Sad to know that this is the Defenders last model year, but Land Rover isn't letting it die out without some cool editions.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/say-bye-land-rover-defender-bows-out-with-three-final-editions/

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
2/6/15 11:22 p.m.

But what is CBP going to seize and crush now? Poor feds.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/15 7:50 a.m.

I think this is the last mass-production purpose-built offroader, not a fleet pickup or soccer mom's SUV that's been tarted up to help it survive on the trail. And now they've come to an end. 1945-2015 was a good run.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/25/15 12:23 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Wrangler? The dead base one still has forged tow hooks on the front, stick axles, skid plates, steel wheels, manual everything.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/26/15 7:27 a.m.

I wish I could understand Land Rover's decision to ship so few over. Look at what 80 and 100 series Land Cruisers trade for. It'd be nice if a D90 sold for the same.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/26/15 9:06 a.m.
The0retical wrote: But what is CBP going to seize and crush now? Poor feds.

Going to be 25 years before the last ones are legal to import so they've got plenty to keep them busy. If you want one legally the trick seems to be to buy a 23ish year old one and keep it in the UK for a couple of years then bring it in legally at 25 years old. Once they hit 25 years old they jump in price as people know they are wanted over here. You will see adds on e-bay stating right up front '25- years old, legal for importation to the USA'

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/15 9:33 a.m.
Mike wrote: I wish I could understand Land Rover's decision to ship so few over. Look at what 80 and 100 series Land Cruisers trade for. It'd be nice if a D90 sold for the same.

I think they had to jump through some legislative hoops to make it happen, and they were exceptions kinda like the one Lotus got for the Elise. You can still import a 1995(?) D110 or a few of the D90s legally thanks to the ones that did come in.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/26/15 1:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Mike wrote: I wish I could understand Land Rover's decision to ship so few over. Look at what 80 and 100 series Land Cruisers trade for. It'd be nice if a D90 sold for the same.
I think they had to jump through some legislative hoops to make it happen, and they were exceptions kinda like the one Lotus got for the Elise. You can still import a 1995(?) D110 or a few of the D90s legally thanks to the ones that did come in.

A couple of years ago I got really excited when I found there were certain years of Defender you could bring in prior to the 25 year age rule. It's not that easy though. Unlike the 25 year old cars that you can bring in and register easily, you can't bring the exempted cars in yourself. They MUST come in through a registered conversion company (there are a few listed) and they MUST do certain changes and updates. The cost of paying them to import the vehicle and do the changes, plus the premium those years go for in the UK make it just not worthwhile for the average person, especially as those imported cars then have a lower re-sale than the ones originally sold here new. Really, if you want a Defender buy a 24 year old one in the UK, store it then bring it over as soon as it hits 25 years. I spent a lot of time looking into it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/15 1:14 p.m.

Yup. It made more sense 10 years ago when you couldn't bring in a Defender under the 25 year rule, you could only get the V8 Series III.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/27/15 1:55 p.m.

They only sold it in the US for 4 years and they stopped selling it because it was going to take too much to add airbags to meet US regulations.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SUyJtYQX30LGCf0z1wr4lBCz7B1udjv2JvGajeXVfovp83rM8jqECyP5Cc4WQokQ