paul
paul HalfDork
9/4/14 8:18 p.m.

Hey all,

Just need a clarification on gearing/low-range...

Lets say my 5th gear ratio is 1.0 and my low-range is 2.73:1... that would make 5th gear in low-range an effective ratio of 2.73?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/4/14 8:25 p.m.

I'm not sure about the math, but I think it means that you have a Jeep.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/4/14 8:29 p.m.

Yes, gearing is multiplied. E.g. if 1st is 3:1, low range 4:1 and the diffs 5:1, your total ratio would be 60:1, meaning the engine turns 60 times to turn the tires once, and the engine turns 12 times to spin the driveshafts once.

paul
paul HalfDork
9/4/14 8:50 p.m.

Thanks Kenny! and yes, I hope to have a jk within a month or so...

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
11/29/14 5:33 a.m.

Unless you have a Samurai or Hummer. In the Sammy there is also a reduction from the main shaft of the transfer case over to the drive shafts and in the Hummer there are gear reductions at the hubs.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/29/14 6:47 a.m.
Woody wrote: I'm not sure about the math, but I think it means that you have a Jeep.

LOL … not relegated to Jeeps … my F150 has a low range, and my first 2 Suby's had low ranges

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/2/15 7:31 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
Woody wrote: I'm not sure about the math, but I think it means that you have a Jeep.
LOL … not relegated to Jeeps … my F150 has a low range, and my first 2 Suby's had low ranges

The Jeep comment may be alluding to the low-range ratio specifically, not that it has a transfer case in general. (Although many NP cases came with 2.72 ratios so I may be wrong).

Either way, most American and most "import" 4x4 trucks have a low range transfer case or produce several models that do.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/15 7:33 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
wbjones wrote:
The Jeep comment may be alluding to the low-range ratio specifically, not that it has a transfer case in general.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ru7tB04pVu7j0RaX6TrWe0rGFDmQbossxN4vT9OCk0L7J1sh2fCEDHw5XG5GT4D1