neon4891
neon4891 Reader
5/26/08 6:39 p.m.

Ok, I have had my lovely ruger for several months now and I'm starting to get the bug to spice it up. Current mods include a bolt buffer and recoil pad that adds an inch to the stock length.

Current stock is the base carbine peice with the barrel band and no sling mounts. I'm debating weather to have checkering and sling mounts added or picking up an aftermarket stock. Nothing extream, I'm leaning towards either a folding or colapsable M4 style stock.

Cheaper mods I have considered include a 4X scope, Extended mag release, and auto bolt release.

Thanks for any sugestions.

Brian

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/26/08 7:13 p.m.

Well, I have one. I did the tricking out, but it was a friend of mine's at the time. It's stainless, has a Buttler Creek folding stock/pistol grip, muzzle break (to tame that massive 22LR muzzle blast), and a Weaver scope mount that I put a scope with a crosshair illuminator, night vision or red dot on depending on the target and time. Buttler Creek 25 round mag and the crank mag loader gizmo. I was using it yesterday to prune some trees, Arkansan Style. Cut a 6" oak branch in half with it.

therex
therex Dork
5/26/08 7:15 p.m.

Well, it all depends on what you want to do with it. Target? Plinking?

M4 stocks suck. They are uncomfortable and have a low comb height.

Do you have the regular barrel or the bull? If you have a regular barrel, get a big old bull barrel.

You'd be surprised how accurate you can make these, if you're really into making a bunch of tiny pieces of metal go through the same hole.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
5/26/08 7:23 p.m.

Ohh, thats the other thing, Mags. I have 2 standard mags now. My only aprehension with the high cap mags is jamming, and in NY 25s are the biggest I can get without having things shipped to family in PA.

And I have blue prints for a full auto sear conversion on the way, but thats a NO-NO:twisted:

therex
therex Dork
5/26/08 7:28 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: .. and in NY 25s are the biggest I can get without....

Well, there's your problem!

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/26/08 7:30 p.m.

I have a Volquartsen accurizing kit on my Deluxe Sporter. I love their stuff for Rugers. I wouldn't spend the cash or time checkering a factory stock on a 10/22. Make sure folding stocks are legal where you live.

10/22's are fun. These look like more fun: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Charger/Video.html

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
5/27/08 12:03 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Ohh, thats the other thing, Mags. I have 2 standard mags now. My only aprehension with the high cap mags is jamming, and in NY 25s are the biggest I can get without having things shipped to family in PA. And I have blue prints for a full auto sear conversion on the way, but thats a NO-NO:twisted:

The butler creek 25 mags work great, those and a speed loader is all you will need. I have the cheap mags in addition and they do jam.

My favorite addition was a $15 k-mart 7x scope, its not that accurate but fun.

Be careful talking about the sear, technically owning plans for a full auto and having the gun in your possession at the same time falls under the federal full auto law (even if you do not make the sear). So unless you have a FFA license to own that sear do not "own" the plans and the gun at the same time.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/27/08 6:47 a.m.

10/22s are the Civic Si of rifles. MIne's got a few minor mods:

I got most everything from this guy: http://www.hornetproducts.com/

I think the most important mod for any 10/22 is a better trigger. Stock triggers kinda suck, and you can get an awesome drop-in setup that you can install in minutes for about $100.

They're also crazy accurate with the right ammo (mine likes subsonic stuff.) It'll plink golf balls at 100yds without too much thought.

jg

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/27/08 9:01 a.m.

Damn, jg, that's wild. Do you shoot any competition with it? I understand they are fairly popular in metalic sillouette, especially set up full race like that.

I have a handgun that will drill golfballs all day long at 100 yards. Not even challenging.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/27/08 9:35 a.m.

That one's mostly just for fun, although I've shot a couple of bench rest competitions with it. Got beat by guys with waaaaay more advanced rests than me. My pile of towels and boxes just didn't quite cut it. I'd like to try silouhette someday. Only club that shoots it is quite a hike, though.

jg

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
5/27/08 9:41 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I was using it yesterday to prune some trees, Arkansan Style. Cut a 6" oak branch in half with it.

I can't count how many trees/saplings my 10/22 has 'pruned' over the years...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/27/08 10:18 a.m.

I shot NRA Hunter Pistol Metalic Sillouette Small Bore for years with my Contenders. The animals are half size. I have some set up out to 75 yards (turkeys). I stopped a year or two ago for a couple of reasons, not the least of which was the 60 mile one way drive to the match and the cost of gas. The matches that use rifles have these super tiny animals. I think they are quarter size. Chickens look almost like desk ornaments. I think there is a rifle match closer to me. I may look for it and tune up the 10/22 if I ever get caught up on my projects and chores. Might be a little funny lookin' decked out "combat assault weapon" style in a match with the others decked out like jg's. Run what ya brung.

For bench shooting, I use WalMart shopping bags filled with sand. Just fill one bag, tie a knot in it, put that in another bag, tie a not in that, etc. When you get a leak, add another bag or two. Cover the bag with a little rug and that's about it. I used to use those little 1" orange sticker targets at 100 yards for my handgun on the bench with my WalMart sandbag. You couldn't even see them without the 3-9X Burris extended eye relief scope. I'd be drilling them with cheap milsurp bullets chucked through my Dillon press. Others with their "deer rifles" would be lucky to hit their 12" targets out there.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
5/27/08 4:14 p.m.

My 10/22 started as a plain blued carbine. Fun, but the trigger was crunchy and long. I caught a sale at Midway, and now it has a 20" heavy barrel, a black/grey laminate stock in a conventional pattern, and a much better trigger/sear combination - Volqartsen, IIRC.
I'd love to set the 10/22 in a Garand stock, with sights, weight, and balance to duplicate the M1. Roland Beaver of Arkansas has done some of those.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CoSrz4JXJ9EW9O0iIN4TKbpjHAHpSZScHkIhw46xK4nVUS3AN7XLW68pD1ilf7b5