tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/20/16 3:08 p.m.

For our fifth I got her a wooden (traditional 5th) plaque (really pretty burl) with a hand-bent heart to make a timeline, with a bunch of important things stuck on there.

Our tenth is in two months. Tin, apparently, and also perhaps aluminum.

I am pretty sure that's not going to cut it.

The same trick on a flat piece of tin is super boring.

Any ideas? I want to incorporate the timeline thing.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/16 3:11 p.m.

What's your kitchen backsplash look like? I love a good tin backsplash

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/16 3:14 p.m.

At ten years, she probably get the right to half of your pension.

slefain
slefain UberDork
4/20/16 3:15 p.m.

I got the same problem. 10 years this week. My wife crochets so I got here a nice aluminum crochet hook assortment with carrying case. That's all I got though.

Most of the aluminum/tin gifts sucks. I tried to convince her to rent an RV (aluminum sides, get it?) for a family camping trip. She wasn't buying it.

captdownshift
4/20/16 3:20 p.m.

If you go aluminum, Team Dynamics or Braids are some of my personal favorites, if they're out of budget a 30 pack of her favorite brew and a thoughtful card with the instructions to read upon completion of half of said 30 pack could yield additional offspring.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/20/16 3:21 p.m.

Maybe if I get a genuine antique tin sign and do the timeline on it somehow?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/20/16 3:40 p.m.

Beer comes in tin cans

Hungary Bill
4/20/16 3:43 p.m.

On the serious side of that subject: How artsy are you? This was made from a beer can:

Hungary Bill
4/20/16 3:44 p.m.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
4/20/16 3:48 p.m.

Charm bracelets are tin? Signed:Clueless

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/16 3:55 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: If you go aluminum, Team Dynamics or Braids are some of my personal favorites, if they're out of budget a 30 pack of her favorite brew and a thoughtful card with the instructions to read upon completion of half of said 30 pack could yield additional offspring.

One of my favorite aluminum things is an Elise.

Is there a carbon fiber anniversary? :)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/16 5:23 p.m.

Congrats on the 10 years. Good luck on the tin or aluminum. I don't suppose the new house has a tin roof.

We hit 30 next week. I'm supposed to look for pearls. I wonder if oysters would suffice.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/20/16 5:25 p.m.

You should probably go with a slight modification on the theme in your original picture:

It's a practical piece of furniture, as well as art! What could possibly go wrong?

Happy Anniversary! My 19th was yesterday.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
4/20/16 6:01 p.m.

I don't believe I've ever given her a year themed gift. 15 years is this May.

We usually just do a weekend away

captdownshift
4/20/16 8:06 p.m.

In reply to codrus:

That's nicer than an F150 if you don't need the utility

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
4/21/16 6:11 a.m.

Does it need to be a material thing? When we got to ten (at 17+ now), I planned a surprise party. We lived in a little hillbilly town at the time...I even got the town mayor to come and renew our vows. I had our live in nanny at the time watch the kids overnight and planned a night out when the party was over. I think she appreciated that more than anything I could have gotten her. I bought us new "beater" rings for when she didn't want to wear her nice one. They kinda looked like tin...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/21/16 6:15 a.m.

There are very few women who have pursued the craft of tinsmithery.

Might have something to do with a negative chemical reaction that occurs when metallurgy combines with estrogen.

Happy anniversary!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EMwdmfxdivfhH51Mn6OyVK0kb5H7eeoBea0dPe6qTVymrsIsA37EcuGQe9e8oNRt