1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/18/23 4:55 p.m.

I know we have a few other threads, but there was no info on this particular thing. This website sells a ridiculous amount of cool, RTR vehicles, but a lot of them are just "RC" or "Custom RC" as the brand. 

I can't seem to actually find what brand they are built off? Anyone have any idea? Here is an example:

https://rcworld.us/rc-1-10-drift-nissan-180sx-brushless-w-pop-up-lights-sounds-rtr-white/

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
12/18/23 5:17 p.m.

I'd assume Chinese regardless of price point.

Outside of rcworld, nobody is selling them. Not tower or horizon hobbies.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/18/23 5:24 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

I'd assume Chinese regardless of price point.

Outside of rcworld, nobody is selling them. Not tower or horizon hobbies.

That's kind of what I figured since I haven't been able to find anything on them. Which means, not interested. I was just curious because they have a lot of cool looking finished bodies.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/18/23 5:54 p.m.

HPI and Tamiya were both selling ready to rip drift kits at one point. My FIRST drift car was a TT01 D, later I upgraded to a TB03 with a full eagle racing VDF chassis. The game has changed a lot since I last played, my car last ran 10 years ago. They're all running full RWD with gyros these days, my car is AWD no gyro. I *think* there are completes still out there from the big players, I haven't done any digging in a while. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/18/23 6:11 p.m.

Oh there are plenty like Yokomo, MST, etc. I was just looking at all the cool body mod stuff.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/18/23 9:43 p.m.

Gotcha. Carry on. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/18/23 10:30 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Oh there are plenty like Yokomo, MST, etc. I was just looking at all the cool body mod stuff.

Looks like you can just buy the bodies from them, then put it on the name brand chassis of your choice.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/18/23 10:47 p.m.

You can. The next decision is do I save myself some money and an RTR..............but part of me kind of actually wants to build it from a kit and a few upgrade parts along the way, even though I know it will be noticeably more expensive. 

Looks like the MST RMX 2.5 brushless RTR is $400 + batteries/charger. 

Whereas with the kit I'd need:

Needed to Complete:

• Motor & ESC
  • 2 Channel Radio System (minimum)
  • Steering Servo
  • Battery & Charger
  • Drift Body
  • Drift Gyro
  • Drift Wheels
  • Drift Tires
  • Polycarbonate Paint for Body (although I'd likely buy a finished body since I remember painting a few when I was younger and they didn't turn out great)
adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/23 8:37 a.m.

I look forward to the build thread!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/19/23 10:06 a.m.
adam525i said:

I look forward to the build thread!

Hahaha! If I decide to go that route, it's going to take a lot more research. 

Although the kit I had been leaning to, I was reading a guide saying MST kits/RTR/parts have become very hard to get the last 4-6 months and doesn't seem to be getting better. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/23 10:39 a.m.

It looks like their warehouse is in Arizona. It may be worth an email to ask them who the cars are made by. More importantly, you can ask if they have parts for them. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/19/23 4:07 p.m.
Toyman! said:

It looks like their warehouse is in Arizona. It may be worth an email to ask them who the cars are made by. More importantly, you can ask if they have parts for them. 

That's not a bad idea, but it looks like the well known names are actually cheaper........likely because they don't have bodies with flip up headlights, backfire LED exhaust tips, etc. 

On Thursday I plan on running by the local hobby shop to see what people are actually using, etc. Driving one around in the garage or street would be fun for a bit, but would get boring pretty quickly I bet. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/19/23 4:36 p.m.

100% building is the best part. I built one that probably cost me the better part of a stack (this was 10-15 years ago) threw a big scary motor in it, had a dozen sweet bodies for it and.... haven't done anything with it since. I would build a kit even if it takes forever. That's the fun part. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/19/23 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I must be a rube because I have no idea what is meant by "a stack" in this context.

Google says this might mean $10k but it also could mean $1k

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/19/23 8:36 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to Mndsm :

I must be a rube because I have no idea what is meant by "a stack" in this context.

If you've ever seen the movie Rounders with Edward Norton, Matt Damon, John Tuturro, and John Malkovich (if you haven't you should), they refer to $10k as a "stack of high society." But that movie also came out in 1998.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/19/23 8:40 p.m.
Mndsm said:

100% building is the best part. I built one that probably cost me the better part of a stack (this was 10-15 years ago) threw a big scary motor in it, had a dozen sweet bodies for it and.... haven't done anything with it since. I would build a kit even if it takes forever. That's the fun part. 

This is what I fear.....I have a hard time not upgrading if their are things to be upgraded. When I've had project cars in the past, I'm very much "Well while I'm in there" and then watch the budget keep expanding and time line keep lengthening. 

To give you a small sample of my insanity, while I was building my NA track rat. All control arms were pulled and powdercoated, every bolt that was removed during disassembly was replaced with new OEM Mazda bolts/nuts from the dealer. Working Sport Brakes, disassembled, hi-temp powdercoat, completely rebuilt,etc

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/19/23 11:08 p.m.

For cheap electronics, look at JennyRC. They dismantle RTR vehicles and sell the parts. I got a brushless ESC and motor for less than $80.

Toyman!
12/20/23 8:00 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Most of the name-brand cars are kits and do not come with radios or speed controls.

Most of the off-brand cars look like they come assembled with radios. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/20/23 8:33 a.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Most of the name-brand cars are kits and do not come with radios or speed controls.

Most of the off-brand cars look like they come assembled with radios. 

You must have been away for a while. All the big names, all of the affordable stuff is RTR. Most of the "kits" are the crazy expensive pro-level stuff. Like a Yokomo drift chassis kit that starts at $800, or you can buy the entry level kit that starts at $150. 

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/20/23 9:18 a.m.

The  MST RTR stuff is a great starting point. But, yes, parts can be sketchy to find. 

Yokomo kits are beautiful, parts are available*, and quite popular. *YD upgrade stuff is starting to fade out, as the new MD/SD/RD chassis is taking over. Throw Hobbywing ESC & motor, and a Flysky or Radiolink radio set in, and you're good. 

Sakura is cheap, but parts are pretty much from Banggood, only. Cheap and plentiful, but take a long time to get. 

One of mine, a YD2 ZX III, with all the purple goodies. 

Toyman!
12/20/23 10:03 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

On the RC World site you posted, a lot of the big-name (Kyosho, Tamiya) stuff is either 1/28 scale RTR or kits with no radio gear. The big name RTR cars look like they come with the cheapest 2 channel radio gear, bulk 540 motors, and small ESC for $250-$350. You can buy the kit for $150+-. There is something to be said for building it yourself. I recommend it. 

The particular car you posted is built and has all the bells and whistles, including a brushless motor, ESC, and a 6-channel radio to control all the doo-dads. It's going to be more expensive than many RTR cars. While most RTR cars are built to be cheap and compete in the toy market, the car you posted is aimed up the market at adults with discretionary funds. Many of the RTR cars are going to be bargain basement stuff with short life spans. The cars themselves are frequently the lowest optioned with plastic bushing instead of bearings.  

If you want to compete and run with the locals at the local track, I would recommend that you stop by and see what they are running. Buying a RTR will probably be a waste of money. In 10 years of RC racing, I have never seen a competitive RTR car unless it was a spec class that required it. If you want to play in the street on occasion, then buy whatever catches your eye. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/20/23 11:54 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Stack in modern lexicon is only a grand. 10 stacks=10k Inflation sucks 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/20/23 4:24 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to z31maniac :

On the RC World site you posted, a lot of the big-name (Kyosho, Tamiya) stuff is either 1/28 scale RTR or kits with no radio gear. The big name RTR cars look like they come with the cheapest 2 channel radio gear, bulk 540 motors, and small ESC for $250-$350. You can buy the kit for $150+-. There is something to be said for building it yourself. I recommend it. 

The particular car you posted is built and has all the bells and whistles, including a brushless motor, ESC, and a 6-channel radio to control all the doo-dads. It's going to be more expensive than many RTR cars. While most RTR cars are built to be cheap and compete in the toy market, the car you posted is aimed up the market at adults with discretionary funds. Many of the RTR cars are going to be bargain basement stuff with short life spans. The cars themselves are frequently the lowest optioned with plastic bushing instead of bearings.  

If you want to compete and run with the locals at the local track, I would recommend that you stop by and see what they are running. Buying a RTR will probably be a waste of money. In 10 years of RC racing, I have never seen a competitive RTR car unless it was a spec class that required it. If you want to play in the street on occasion, then buy whatever catches your eye. 

Going by the local hobby shops is the plan. I'm done with work until the 2nd-3rd. 

Of course the last thing I need is another hobby.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/20/23 4:25 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

DANGER! DO NOT BRING WALLET!

My only saving grace is the LHS here seems affixed on either bashing or drag racing and their drift selection is abysmal. Which is fine, I have 0 people around to drive with anyhow. 

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/20/23 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

45 minutes away from you, broh.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2ZNkWumrNWJ7EYHHbY3mfqb22MIRk5Mm5qmtQWl8VhyuigZ2ogKkFpNr4FKWUbWZ