Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/22/23 12:02 p.m.

I'm flying into Newark on a Thursday night, taking a workshop in Union City/Hoboken all day Friday, and I've got most of the weekend to explore NYC the first week of March. 

I don't have any plans outside of getting a slice or three. Any advice on what I should see/do? I know this isn't much time, which is why I thought to check with the locals. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/22/23 12:13 p.m.
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/22/23 12:20 p.m.

What do you enjoy? There are countless museums. Great food. Just roaming around walking is fun, too.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/22/23 12:24 p.m.

Some of my faves:

The Highline

Chinatown (Wo Hop or Nom Wah for the win)

Walking the Manhattan Bridge

MTA transit museum

Malibu Diner

Dinosaurs

Staten Island Ferry (late night)

Katz’s (just get half a sandwich so you have room for something else)

Greenwich Village

Quimby’s

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/22/23 12:27 p.m.

Only Wally's allowed to answer the question.

David S. Wallens
2/22/23 12:29 p.m.

And something I usually do with my friend Emon while in the City. We’ll pick a guitar shop and visit it, usually adding a stop at a diner. (Chicken salad sandwich for me, and I admit that I judge a diner by its fries.) That plan kinda forces us to visit somewhere new.

Last time, we were in a guitar shop in Brooklyn when he goes, Look behind you.

So I do and see some rando.

I shrugged my shoulders.

That’s Oscar Isaac, he said. Didn’t recognize him without the droids, I guess.

Emon knew him, so we chatted for a few. He was buying a guitar for his brother's birthday. I think he hosted the Oscars like the next night. 

Only in New York. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/22/23 12:50 p.m.

There's a bus line called the Big Red Bus... double decker tour buses. They give a pretty good overview of the city, and you can get on and off all day. 

Buy the tickets directly from street vendors wearing red jackets that identify them. It's more professional than it sounds. 

Negotiate  a little bit with them. They will offer a 1 day pass, but if you hold out for a few minutes they will quickly upgrade you to a weekend or 3 day pass. 

NYC wouldn't be NYC for me without a Broadway show.

I was there recently, and did a lot of tourist stuff. It was a great trip.  Expect to stand in lines.

Make sure to bring your proof of vaccination. Not sure if they are still doing it, but every restaurant and venue I went to asked for it. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/22/23 12:52 p.m.

One great stop that is often overlooked is Ellis Island. It's amazing. I went there for only a few hours (as part of a ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty), but I want to go back as a dedicated trip to spend much more time there. 

Astounding history, architecture, and cultural impact. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
2/22/23 3:20 p.m.

I hear Katz's is not nearly worth it.  I like going to Veselka in the Village for Eastern Euro foods.  PJ Clarke's if you want to splash out a bit, and I've only been to the original location on 3rd Ave which is like taking a step back in time.

MoMA is always cool.  Ellis Island, agreed there.

Walking through Central Park is nice. 

B&H is fun to go through even if you don't plan on buying anything because it's so huge and "they have everything".

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/22/23 4:47 p.m.

My favorite spots:

- AMNH

- Metropolitan Museum of Art

- A slew of restaurants.

- Midtown Comics

- Bryant Park

- New York Public Library

- St. Patrick's Cathedral

- Window shopping at various department stores and fashion outlets.

- Kinokuniya book store

- Walking aimlessly

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/22/23 4:54 p.m.

You could finally discover the answer to the age old question:  "Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?"

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/23 6:03 p.m.

Most of the big stops have been mentioned, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. It sounds like you'll be here before parade/street fair season starts so getting around should be fairly easy. 

I will obviously plug the buses and trains, but if you've never been here before or want to stick to popular sights the tourist buses Paul recommended are a fun idea. I've taken them in several cities too and they're always enjoyable.  

Food: most of it has returned as things normalize and few places are still doing mask and vac requirements at this time. On the weekends several neighborhoods also do outdoor dining where streets are closed at restaurants put tables on the sidewalk and street. If the weather is nice enough it's a different atmosphere that I liked, particularly at night. Katz' is touristy and a bit pricey, but it's worth seeing for the historical enjoyment and the sandwiches are really good. They're currently open 24 hours on weekends so you could take a late night ride on the SI ferry (free) then a bus up to Katz' for a sandwich on the way back to the hotel. There are too many food choices to list, the only thing I'll say is for pizza avoid any of the new looking cheap places with lots of red and white tiles and names like NY Pizza or Little Italy pizza. They're generic, quick, but not terribly good. 

A few attractions that weren't mentioned if you have time and are interested, The aircraft carrier USS Intrepid on 12th Ave at 44th St, and the Circle Line 3 hour cruise around Manhattan at the same location. If you're into books The Strand book store at Broadway and 12th Ave has three floors of new and very old books. 5th Ave from 57th south to 42nd is lined with old high end stores that are nice to check out with Rockefeller center in the middle if that's something you're interested in. I'm a sucker for Art Deco buildings and can get lost there for a day. 

szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter)
szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/24/23 8:49 a.m.

+1 for Veselka, and a Taiwanese spot called 886 that's around the corner from Veselka on St. Mark's Place. 

In Chinatown, my spot is called Kong Sihk Tong - bring cash, they don't take cards. Next door is Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, great dinner/dessert combo.

The Strand is a must-visit IMO.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
2/24/23 12:14 p.m.

Thank you all for the advice and direction! Wally's suggestion of the USS Intrepid, Circle Line cruise, and maybe a ride on a bus for a sandwich are all looking appealing. There will be lots of walking aimlessly (don't worry New Yorkers, I walk fast) and possibly a trip to DUMBO and Chinatown. 

David S. Wallens
2/24/23 1:07 p.m.
Mezzanine said:

Thank you all for the advice and direction! Wally's suggestion of the USS Intrepid, Circle Line cruise, and maybe a ride on a bus for a sandwich are all looking appealing. There will be lots of walking aimlessly (don't worry New Yorkers, I walk fast) and possibly a trip to DUMBO and Chinatown. 

Cool beans. If you go to DUMBO, you can then walk over the Manhattan Bridge to Chinatown. Or you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and then head uptown. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i8oHe4FFRwr0GkmhPpR5IJzVFpKqE9Pc7QtaaGEQqC8gTpW9aCLTdfCSxvVh6Lfe