1 2 3 4 5 6
confusedbyclouds
confusedbyclouds New Reader
2/11/14 8:31 p.m.
T.J. wrote: If you can watch it during the day on MSNBC and/or CNBC, then the prime time coverage on NBC is 100% reruns, except that they used higher priced commentators. For instance, they replace Johnny Wier and Tara Lipinski with Scotty Hamilton and some old NBC standby guy. I caught a little women's curling today. Why is there a women's and a men's curling? Isn't that one sport where the sexes could conceivably compete on even terms? Maybe the men can push those little brooms a little harder?

Men's curling tends to be more about power since they can send the rocks down the ice harder, it becomes more about who can clear the house better. While women's tends to be more about finesse shots and sneaking rocks into score.

I am Canadian by the way. How could you tell???

Also lulu lemon style pants has change the world of curling forever in my eyes.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
2/11/14 10:02 p.m.

Shaun White did not podium!

But it's good to see that he's not a sore loser.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
2/11/14 10:18 p.m.
confusedbyclouds wrote: Also lulu lemon style pants has change the world of curling forever in my eyes.

I didn't even think of that!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/12/14 9:19 a.m.

Tie for first in the woman's downhill! First time ever!!! 1:41.57!

Bronze you asked? She was pokey at 1:41.67. Just wow!

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
2/12/14 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

Jeez, a 10th of a second? That like the difference in a drag race but with the times at 1:41 that is one hell of a small piece of the overall time for 3 people to finish in.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
2/12/14 12:26 p.m.

In reply to confusedbyclouds:

Thanks - that makes sense.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/13/14 3:17 p.m.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/13/14 3:17 p.m.

Oh yeah and we swept skiing slope style!!!

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
2/13/14 5:50 p.m.

She could not have written my take any better:

10 objections to the Winter Olympics BY ALEXANDRA PETRI February 7 at 11:15 am

Before these games get too far underway, I would like to set the record straight. I keep hearing people who insist that the Winter Olympics are the equal of the Summer Olympics, and this is, quite frankly, completely untrue. Here are just a few reasons, although they are by no means scientific or comprehensive. “Ah,” I hear you say, “but what does it matter that the Winter Games are not as fun to watch? The Olympics, as a whole, are an exercise in pointless jingoism and spurious national camaraderie, and the actual subject of the competition is really of little significance. If there were a contest to see which nation’s sons and daughters could make paint dry or reload a Web page most rapidly, we would still have to stand on the sidelines and chant, ‘USA! USA!’ What is so wrong with curling, anyhow?” And, well, if that’s the way you feel, that’s the way you feel. I think, though, that when the sport in question comes precariously close to the raw, madcap excitement of watching people try to cross a recently washed floor, you are entitled to ask whether it’s really worth rounding up all of Sochi’s poor wild dogs.

10) Founders’ intent. There was no slalom in Ancient Greece. We got rid of wrestling and the pankration, a brutal and exciting sport whose only rules were that you could not bite or gouge or out your opponent’s eyes and that if you killed him, he won by default, and we still have to watch curling? Are we kidding us? Seriously, legend has it that the fighter Damoxenos pulled the entrails of his opponent Cruegas out with his fingers. It’s no ice dancing, is what I’m getting at.
9) The Winter Games just doesn’t draw the same crowd. Just for numbers’ sake, since its addition to the Olympic roster in 1924 (figure skating as an individual event made an appearance before that), the Winter Olympics has never managed to attract participants from more than 82 countries at a time. Contrast this to the Summer Olympics, where 204 National Olympic Committees were present in 2012. If the goal of the Olympics is to be a world-wide event, then maybe don’t restrict it to activities you need complicated equipment and very specific weather conditions to be any good at.
8) Almost every Winter Olympic event can be summarized as follows: Someone is on a plane of snow or ice (it can be flat, or inclined) and that person falls down or does not fall down. There are different ways of falling down or not falling down. The speed varies. The terrain varies. Sometimes there is music playing in the background. But if you see someone watching the Olympics and you ask, “Oh no, did the person on the snow or ice fall down?” you will blend right in to the conversation 100 percent of the time. This is wrong.
7) The Olympics is supposed to be a world Games, not a Snow-World Games. If we wanted to watch people in layers struggling through the snow and falling over, we would visit any of the areas afflicted by the Polar Vortex. Enough spreading the wealth around. I know that people from icy, frigid climes want to be good at something, too. But we don’t have to humor them. They already control large sections of the world economy.
6) Even the weakest summer sports are more interesting than some of the strongest winter sports. Synchronized swimming goes neck-and-neck with ice dancing. Beach volleyball? Who can even contend with beach volleyball? Slalom? Slopestyle? Bob Costas said of the latter that “I think the president of the IOC should be Johnny Knoxville. Because basically this stuff is just Jackass stuff they invented and called an Olympic sport.”
This being said, I love ice dancing and figure skating. So I can say, with love, that these should not be a full 2/21 of the competitive events, even if they do offer all the fun of gymnastics without any of the guilt at the fact that all the participants are twelve.
5) The barrier to entry is lower. You don’t have to pay the equivalent of visiting an amusement park every time you go jogging. In fact, you don’t need any fancy equipment at all. Contrast this to skiing, where you cannot even wear cotton on the slopes or people yell at you.
4) You can’t tell if the participants are attractive or not because everyone is wearing layers that make them look like either those dancing windsocks outside used car dealerships or Power Rangers. “That’s good, because I do not want to be distracted from the athleticism by lustful imaginings” was seldom said by anyone.
3) In recent memory, the Opening Ceremonies at the Summer Games have been infinitely weirder. What was going on in Beijing? What was going on in London?
2) Star caliber. The Summer Games gave us Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps, Gabby Douglas, McKayla Maroney, and the list goes on. The Winter Games gave us Apolo Anton Ohno, whose last name is literally “Oh no!” because his forefathers must have known he was going to try to bring the soul patch back.
1) Curling.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/13/14 6:00 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3:

OK, I should point out that I have a different opinion of you, but then I would be called a troll and ostracized for disagreeing with someone on a comment thread. But since I am in a berkeley it all mood today and it isn't pointed at peoples who has now pointed out this thread in 3 different posts how much they don't like the Olympics I will just say this...

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
2/13/14 6:36 p.m.

Were there ANY winter games in Greece? ALEXANDRA PETRI is an shiny happy person. Anyone mentioning "polar vortex" looses all credibility. Aside from Jessie Owens giving the middle finger to Hitler in 36, is there anything more spellbinding than the 1980 USSR/USA hockey match?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/13/14 7:18 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Were there ANY winter games in Greece? ALEXANDRA PETRI is an shiny happy person. Anyone mentioning "polar vortex" looses all credibility. Aside from Jessie Owens giving the middle finger to Hitler in 36, is there anything more spellbinding than the 1980 USSR/USA hockey match?

+1000. The Winter Games are way better then the Summer games. I mean hockey, skiing, snowboarding, bobsled, skeleton, etc. If you are a speed freak how can you not like the winter games?

I will say I am unhappy with choice of Olympic venues this year though.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/13/14 7:52 p.m.

Sarah Reid's helmet. Thoroughly metal.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/13/14 8:03 p.m.

PS... Are the ice autocross sports (luge, gay luge, bobsled, skeleton, etc) scored autocross style? Best run wins? Or is is aggregate of all your runs?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
2/13/14 8:04 p.m.

Dara Howell the slope style sking gold medal winner is from my little town in northern ontario.

Super proud.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
2/13/14 8:09 p.m.
Alexandri Petri said: This being said, I love ice dancing and figure skating

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
2/13/14 8:15 p.m.

Wait- I have a different opinion than you!

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
2/13/14 8:19 p.m.

8 year olds, dude.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
2/14/14 7:23 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: PS... Are the ice autocross sports (luge, gay luge, bobsled, skeleton, etc) scored autocross style? Best run wins? Or is is aggregate of all your runs?

It's more like Rally Cross- where the sum of the time wins.

(in terms of the judged sports- skating ones are like Rx- where it's the sum of the points, where as the snow spors (half pipe, moguls, etc) are like AX- best single wins)

For the other speed sports- I think it's a mix between AX and RX, I can swear that the base slalom is RX, but am 100% that the downhill is AX (although, it's just one run anyway).

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
2/15/14 12:30 p.m.

Wow, that US-Russia hockey game was good. It's an All-Star tournament, with something on the line. Really makes some fun hockey to watch.

bluej
bluej Dork
2/15/14 1:45 p.m.

Skeleton is nuts. I want to try it :D

Anyone else want to kick the interviewer in the nuts for the E36 M3ty way he interviewed Daly? So classless.

Also, all of Canada's helmets were Bad. Ass.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/15/14 1:47 p.m.

putin must be pissed that Russia lost to the US in hockey

ronholm
ronholm HalfDork
2/15/14 2:03 p.m.

I think the games would be more fun to watch if the figure skating and snowboarding/slope style commentators switched places for a day or so.

It would be more fun to hear about a mad sick totally off the chain triple Lutz.

mapper
mapper Reader
2/15/14 2:24 p.m.

I told my wife that skeleton is the winter sport for me. Why, she asked? Because you do it lying down, I answered.

On topic: I love the downhill skiing and events like skeleton. They remind me of autocross/time trials. I can relate them to things I actually participate in.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
2/15/14 2:28 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
Alexandri Petri said: This being said, I love ice dancing and figure skating

Leave Samuel Jackson out of this.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mq43FuZSfmfvXSuurt8SG1GZNuGKy4xh8IgZHA07afwsWLwyW4fC8yWp0aAGkOgT