dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/16 12:56 p.m.

Not sure if it will work with the current code here but still really cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SObzNdyRTBs

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/16/16 1:03 p.m.

Interesting. I've wondered for a long time when someone was going to develop a process to make enginneered building products out of household trash and construction debris.

Looks like he is getting close.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/16/16 1:30 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Lots of post construction debris is already used- it's shredded up and used for things like door cards.

The Chinese one is interesting- it's basically encapsulating stuff in a thick concrete slurry (thick enough to stay put when laid down).

slefain
slefain PowerDork
12/16/16 1:35 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Interesting. I've wondered for a long time when someone was going to develop a process to make enginneered building products out of household trash and construction debris. Looks like he is getting close.

When I worked construction decades ago we made use of construction debris by using it to backfill foundations. Might explain the number of detached porches the builder had to fix after a few years.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/16 2:18 p.m.

seems like a great idea to me. We are getting closer and closer to Star Trek's Replicator technology

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/16/16 3:34 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to SVreX: Lots of post construction debris is already used- it's shredded up and used for things like door cards. The Chinese one is interesting- it's basically encapsulating stuff in a thick concrete slurry (thick enough to stay put when laid down).

Oh, we recycle plenty of construction debris, but I meant household trash being used as filler and encapsulating it in binders to use for building materials, as well as the post construction debris that Is not recycled (which is still a lot).

My company works much harder than most at recycling. We still landfill 20-30,000 cubic yards per year. There is plenty of room for improvement.

For example- gypsum is 100% recyclable. However, it is almost always landfilled because a) it can't go through a grinder once it's wet (and it is very difficult to keep dry), and b) regulations prohibit hauling it anywhere except the landfill.

Theory vs practice.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
12/16/16 3:35 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: seems like a great idea to me. We are getting closer and closer to Star Trek's Replicator technology

And, it will produce a cup of liquid that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
12/16/16 5:56 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to SVreX: Lots of post construction debris is already used- it's shredded up and used for things like door cards. The Chinese one is interesting- it's basically encapsulating stuff in a thick concrete slurry (thick enough to stay put when laid down).

They may do that now but back in the day (Like 40 years ago.) they just dug a hole on your lot and buried it. You only find this out when you start digging on your lot to plant trees, posts, etc. Forty years later and I still can find stuff buried by the contractor!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/16 7:05 p.m.

Some people box up their debris and return it to Home Depot. One night we opened 9 vanities in the store before we found one that wasn't scraps of wood glued shut when we were fixing my friends bathroom.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/16 12:19 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: Some people box up their debris and return it to Home Depot. One night we opened 9 vanities in the store before we found one that wasn't scraps of wood glued shut when we were fixing my friends bathroom.

there is a special place in hell for those people

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/17/16 6:07 a.m.

That's pretty neat. How do you run electric and plumbing? Do you just print chases?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
12/17/16 8:16 a.m.

That is nicer than the first one of those I saw back when there was a tsunami in India (?) I think. That one just used regular concrete but the nozzle had little shields that would smooth the sides of the lump as well, like a curbing former.

There was talk about setting some up during the Haitian disaster recovery, but the one you heard about more then was the concrete tent.

I think there's something similar for building brick walls too. The mortar is injected and bricks placed precisely by machine. I've seen video of wall construction but I don't know if it was just a standalone wall or part of a whole building.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p5pDi3TZsjYjx2lx853iAy3pQ7CpL8LscntnKht18C35MKwWAYW4RUn6rgDHHoVV