1 2
dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
10/10/13 7:40 a.m.

My family had extensive experience with Fiats in the 80's and that ensures that none of them will buy a Fiat. I wonder how many people have memories from then?

I would rock the hell out of a 500 Abarth but I'm super cheap, so not for quite a few years yet.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/10/13 7:51 a.m.

Honestly I think the biggest problem is that the 500 is a love it or hate it kinda car. I think if they add the Punto or Bravo here it would help sells or brought Alfa back.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/10/13 8:30 a.m.

Automotive News

That's the original story, but it has been widely commented on.

The question of how 45% compares to other dealerships is a good one, and I can't find any hard numbers. Average pre-tax profits were up 6% in 2012 overall, so the market is generally good so I am going to assume that most are doing OK.

The comparison to Mini is not based on experience, I have not driven either, but I see the Mini competing in many classes at the autocross, I have yet to see a base 500 out there.

And I think there is one other Fiat that will be coming our way soon. At least it's ugly.

pinchvalve
10/10/13 8:31 a.m.

Here it is as the Ram Promaster.

Personally, I like Pro RamMaster better!

pinchvalve
10/10/13 8:32 a.m.

And look at that. I posted the picture, and an ad for the Rammaster popped up on the board!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/10/13 8:37 a.m.

Let's sell another Fiat model in the States! Yes the van! Great idea! But not at Fiat dealers, let's give it to Ram instead.
Who makes these decisions?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/10/13 8:37 a.m.

I do not think there will be a Van in the Fiat showrooms but rather only in the Ram dealerships so sales of these vans will do nothing to help the Fiat Salon showrooms stay open.

Edit: sale time a Duece.
I would bet the many Ram dealers bitch more than the few Fiat dealers.
Ram has no exclusive van. If you want a Sprinter, they have always competed with MB and Frieghtliner. If it is a big fleet, the Frieghtliner typically got the business.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
10/10/13 8:42 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Fiat Punto
Its a new EP3 civic. I would love something like that.

I'm a Punto fan, too. But I wouldn't give up my EP3 for it now that it is handling so well. It can be done but mods put it in mod or prepared, depending.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
10/10/13 8:50 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Honestly I think the biggest problem is that the 500 is a love it or hate it kinda car.

The interior is what gets me. For whatever reason, that dashboard just seems like something a 14 year old girl would design. I can't put it into words, but it shouldn't be any worse than the MINI's, but I could be happy in the MINI interior, whereas I'd be annoyed with the Fiat's.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
10/10/13 8:51 a.m.
nocones wrote: Add me to that list assuming it retains the Euro Tow Rating

You mean the rating that apparently makes it OK to tow 10,000-lb 30-foot trailers with 3500-lb 200-hp cars... like apparently everyone does in Europe?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
10/10/13 8:54 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: The comparison to Mini is not based on experience, I have not driven either, but I see the Mini competing in many classes at the autocross, I have yet to see a base 500 out there.

That could be because the base 500 is specifically excluded from SCCA autocross for rollover risk. Only the Abarth is eligible.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/10/13 8:59 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Fiat Bravo

isnt that a Dart over here?

I'd waaaaay rather have the Dart...

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/10/13 9:18 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

The Bravo is based on the platform that the Dart platform replaced.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/13 9:21 a.m.

I have to say that our dealer missed out on a chance to make some extra money. I will assume most buyers are woman are like my wife. She has been online picking out pricey bits for me to install. The dealer made no mention of these accessories which my wife would have gladly asked them to put on. I would think if they put up a small display of these bits many customers would be happy to personalize there cars and roll it into there payments. My wife who almost never makes a frivolous purchase just bought a $200 gas cap.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/10/13 11:35 a.m.

Let's turn it around the other way. Why are 45% of the dealers profitable? What are they doing right to do so? Our local Austin dealer is regularly the top in the nation regarding sales, so they must be doing something right. We bought my wife's 500L off the first shipment in and by the time I went back for my Turbo, all 12 had been sold in the day. Only one was a pre-order.

I think Fiat has failed a bit in how they want to market it. Most of the ads I saw early on leaned towards the female market, Jennifer Lopez advertising them, a Gucci edition, etc. They didn't start catering to a male audience until the Abarth came out. So, they kinda setup the impression that the regular 500 was a chick car and only the Abarth was for men. Unlike MINI who marketed it to everyone from day one.
You could argue that MINI also supported racing from day one, whereas Fiat did not, but I always wonder how much that really applies to Joe consumer. Sure, you'll get a bump from the racer types, but how small of a market is that?

I think there's probably quite a few things in play in comparing to MINI. Afterall, MINI only had one "model" for much longer than Fiat has (comparing the MINI Clubman launch to the 500L launch), so the one model scenario does work. Maybe it's because BMW dealers were more accustom to a performance and full customization model than your typical Dodge dealer is?

Finally, besides the full on advertising blitz, (they made a MOVIE about the MINI ferchrissakes), I still think that Americans were more familiar with Mini's and the whole British invasion then they were about Fiat. Remember, other than Jag, the MINI was the first British car in a long time. I'm betting that played on a number of people who remember their MG's, Triumphs, Austin Healey's, etc. Whereas Fiat never had the presence the British did on our shores. Alfa wasn't considered close enough to the Fiat brand, and Fiat only really had the 124 and some small number sedan's here.

-Rob

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
10/10/13 1:16 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Honestly I think the biggest problem is that the 500 is a love it or hate it kinda car. I think if they add the Punto or Bravo here it would help sells or brought Alfa back.

I'd love a Abarth 500. My girlfriend pointed out my strong hatred of girly cars. She said no matter how awesome it is, it still is a girly car. She makes a good case.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/10/13 1:41 p.m.

Yeah, MINI had the loooonnnggg coattails of the original Mini, Jaguar, Triumph and MG to ride on here in the Great Satan. FIAT never had the real broad market back then plus they had the huge infamous rust recall which killed their US business and is why they pulled out of this market back then. The bad taste remains and it shows now.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
10/10/13 1:47 p.m.

Of course FIAT is not profitable...yet.

It is FIAT. The business model is based on parts and service. LOTS of parts and service.

Just wait until these babies start getting out of warranty. Parts will be flying off of them like clothes off of Miley Cyrus. Fix it again Tony is money in the bank, paisano.

It isn't the first time FIAT has taken an unconventional business approach either. Back in the '60s they built cars that would evaporate into orange dust before your eyes. That's not the only way to get customers back into the showroom every couple of years, but it worked back then.

FIAT dealerships will be profitable. You'll see.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/10/13 2:07 p.m.

That Punto Abarth looks pretty good. IF it made it's way over here, I hope we get a choice of 2 or 4 doors, not stuck with 4 only. (Looking at you Ford, they have choice of 2 or 4 door Focus and Feista in Europe, why can't we?)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O1UBhtmIoQViXtiVuFotuSCe9e8olIYu6fWgZ3rV6U6vXzMJSx6nZKOoyMEXcud0