1 2
Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/20 7:44 a.m.

I was sucker at Costco and got another tv yesterday.  I know it's a smart tv but figured it would probably run smoother with an external device to stream Netflix, etc.  Apple tv and Roku both have hard wired versions which should take the ease off of the wifi in the house.  We don't have cable so we just stream Netflix, Amazon prime, Hulu and Disney plus.  Which do you guys reccommend?

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/9/20 7:51 a.m.

I'm not going to take a side, but we have a Roku that I had to update recently- as in buying a different one.  The reason is that the cheaper Roku uses very old wifi in it.  Spend the extra money getting the better wifi hardware in it.

And if the apple is equal cost, but has better hardware in it, I'd suggest getting it.  Speed and hardware capability seems to be the biggest limitation of wireless TV (assuming your network is really good).

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/20 7:54 a.m.

Of those two... Roku hands down.  Roku is mostly separated from being in bed with specific corporate interests, so you'll have access to more apps.  Apple is very specific about who they compete with.  For instance, Roku has the Apple TV app.  The entireity of Apple TV (almost) is condensed into one of hundreds of streaming apps.  So to say that Roku is more comprehensive is kinda like saying, "should I get the free steering wheel, or the entire free car?"  Not even a vague comparison.  Apple is a tiny fraction of what is available on Roku.  Apple doesn't even have Netflix.

Getting an AppleTV streamer (to me) is like buying a single Roku App.  I don't see how that could be a better choice to pay a similar amount for a tiny fraction of the access to streaming content.  Roku is cheaper, has way more content, including the free AppleTV app.  Buying the cheaper Roku gets you free access to the AppleTV app.  So (paying for streaming aside), the hardware choice is a no-brainer for me.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/9/20 8:05 a.m.

Amazon Fire devices can load a lot of Android app.

If you are not in the apple world, dont introduce one.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
11/9/20 8:14 a.m.

Check the input ports on your new TV, it may have an Ethernet port for wired internet. We went from separate Roku to a Roku smart TV with wired LAN and it's way better. Not having two remotes is nice too.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/20 8:20 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Of those two... Roku hands down.  Roku is mostly separated from being in bed with specific corporate interests, so you'll have access to more apps.  Apple is very specific about who they compete with.  For instance, Roku has the Apple TV app.  The entireity of Apple TV (almost) is condensed into one of hundreds of streaming apps.  So to say that Roku is more comprehensive is kinda like saying, "should I get the free steering wheel, or the entire free car?"  Not even a vague comparison.  Apple is a tiny fraction of what is available on Roku.  Apple doesn't even have Netflix.

I don't have any experience with the Roku, but that last sentence is 100% false. Apple does have Netflix along with the other major services. I don't know about weird little niche ones. 

We have an AppleTV because of the ability to screen share from Apple devices painlessly. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/20 8:22 a.m.

Just run a hard line to the tv.

11/9/20 8:28 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I don't have any experience with the Roku, but that last sentence is 100% false. Apple does have Netflix along with the other major services. I don't know about weird little niche ones. 

We have an AppleTV because of the ability to screen share from Apple devices painlessly. 

I stand corrected.  They didn't as of a few years ago, and their website (just checked) still doesn't list it as an option.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
11/9/20 8:43 a.m.

Our newest "smart" TV is a '16 model Samsung that is too dumb for Disney+ to work on, not available won't be available, and there's a 30-40% chance that the Netflix app is going to crash or freeze video and become a radio every time we use it, plus it takes a solid 3 minutes for the app menu to boot up before you can use it when you turn the TV on.

I vote Roku.

I've got a $30 Roku on all of our TVs, and just ordered one for my parents. 

Having a legit upgrade path is a good idea, and a standalone streaming box gives you that.  I don't like my afore mentioned Samsung, but I don't dislike it enough to replace it, just because it's beyond the end-of-life for software updates.  Roku fixes my biggest problems with it.

Roku has a bunch of free stuff (minimum ads) a lot of streaming channels I'd never heard of, and the Roku channel itself has a lot of free content.

Only real annoyance with Roku is that they still don't have HBO Max, the old HBO Now app is on Roku still and allegedly still works for some (I'm not one of them) but since HBO abandoned HBO Now in favor of HBO Max, Roku and HBO haven't come to terms on allowing the current HBO service onto Roku.  When Roku finally gets HBO Max, I'll not have a reason to turn the Xbox on anymore.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/9/20 9:07 a.m.

We use an Amazon Fire Cube in the living room..........can't say I'm entirely pleased with it. But I think that's mostly down to the specific app UI.

Hulu Live updated theirs recently and it sucks, like really negatively impacted the experience. 

I'm actually just considering building a small Raspberry Pi or cheap computer and go back to using the web apps. 

Keith Tanner
11/9/20 9:22 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

I stand corrected.  They didn't as of a few years ago, and their website (just checked) still doesn't list it as an option.

I got my first Apple TV in 2012. They had it then. I've never looked at the list on the website though.

It's been quite solid overall. The only service that doesn't work well is the NFL, and that seems to be from a poorly coded app that easily gets confused. 

About the only sign I've seen of Apple vs (insert name here) bunfights is the Amazon Prime video app. It works just fine, but Amazon Prime is not listed in the "TV" app that tries to merge all the various streaming services together nor is it in the previews at the top of the main menu. So if you watch by idling surfing through the list of all the shows you can buy to watch, you'll miss out on the Amazon ones. No great loss IMO.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/20 9:39 a.m.

I'd say if you're in the Apple ecosystem, Apple TV is the easy button. But Rokus are cheaper and more universal.

We've had Rokus for years around here, but are down to one. Their disputes with HBO Max and Peacock prompted the change. We now have an Nvidia Sheild TV Pro on our main TV, and it's bloody awesome. It runs Android TV, which is about as neutral format as you can get. Way more horsepower than a streaming box needs (it can also do gaming and be a media server itself), but that means it should be pretty future-proof. It also has excellent AI-based 4k upscaling, so even regular HD content looks better on it. The downside? It's $200.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
11/9/20 9:47 a.m.

I'd be ok with the Shield if I was confident in its support. It seems like the type of thing that could be left behind pretty quick. 

After years of killing multiple Roku sticks and being left with an ages old Roku XS, I want something with SPEED. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/9/20 10:06 a.m.

I'd go with either a Fire Stick or Roku, whatever is cheaper. They all seem to work just fine, I've had experience with all of them. 

I like the Apple and Fire remotes better, but the Roku I use (my parents) is probably 5 years old. 

11/9/20 10:06 a.m.
pheller said:

I'd be ok with the Shield if I was confident in its support. It seems like the type of thing that could be left behind pretty quick. 

Actually, it's probably the best-supported streaming box on the market. The 2015 version just got a new update in August.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
11/9/20 10:18 a.m.

I never wanted to go with the appleTV due to price. I've had multiple iterations of every major streaming device aside from Nvidia Shield or the Xiaomi box. There were always compromises.

Then DirecTV ran some deal to promote their cable streaming service and if you signed up for a few months you got a free AppleTV 4k. Worked out to be something like 100$ shipped.

Nothing comes close. I hate how much I love it. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
11/9/20 10:33 a.m.

I've heard good things about the Chromecast with Google TV. It's fast, cheap, works with Google Home, gets all the neccesary stations, can stream Stadia in the future. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/20 11:01 a.m.

I'm an Android guy but the wife and kids are all Apple so tough call there.  The tv may do ok on its own but just figured there would be more out there as far as updates and features with the seperate unit such as Roku.  Have also heard about screen freezed and lag time with the built in smart tv apps

wae
wae UberDork
11/9/20 11:06 a.m.

I've got an older Roku at home that we use for The Baby Yoda Show, Netflix, Prime, NBC sports, Youtube, and ESPN.  Works fine over wireless or wired, but will need an occasional power cycle.

My brother brought a Chromecast to the shop and we use that there.  It's fine, but I don't like that I have to control it with my phone.  I do like that if someone else is using one on the same wifi network that my phone is on, I can control it with my phone, though.  But it's all wireless all the time so might not be what you want.

Keith Tanner
11/9/20 11:22 a.m.
Placemotorsports said:

I'm an Android guy but the wife and kids are all Apple so tough call there.  The tv may do ok on its own but just figured there would be more out there as far as updates and features with the seperate unit such as Roku.  Have also heard about screen freezed and lag time with the built in smart tv apps

I would assume that any "smart TV" is full of bugs and has little or no security or expectation of future updates. Keep your smarts and your display separate and don't let that TV on the network.

If your wife and kids are on Apples, they may very much appreciate the ability to easily share screen content with an AppleTV. Works well for showing off pictures or YouTube videos, for example. I'm sure there's an Android equivalent, but for Apples you can't touch AirPlay for ease of use.

11/9/20 11:25 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

If your wife and kids are on Apples, they may very much appreciate the ability to easily share screen content with an AppleTV. Works well for showing off pictures or YouTube videos, for example. I'm sure there's an Android equivalent, but for Apples you can't touch AirPlay for ease of use.

Yeah, you can "cast" to pretty much anything these days, even Rokus. But it's easier with Android devices, IMO.

The new Chromecast with Google TV looks like a nice value. It has an actual remote so you don't have to use your phone, too. Only downside is that you have to buy an ethernet dongle to be able to plug it in. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
11/9/20 11:34 a.m.

New Chromecast with Google TV has a remote. Can't buy it via Amazon though. $50 at Best Buy.

I am legit interested in the Sheild TV, though. Is there anything it can't do?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
11/9/20 11:50 a.m.

which gives you the most free content ?

I watch very little TV , I would like my local stations  to watch sports  and the next riots !

and it would be nice to have some European stations and Australia .

I heard there are secret stations on riku , whats that about ?

Thanks from someone without a TV for 10 plus years.....

11/9/20 11:52 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
, you'll miss out on the Amazon ones. No great loss IMO.

Truth.  I can't remember the last time I scrolled through Prime Video and saw something I wanted to watch.  Even if I did, it switches from "included with prime" to "buy or rent" every couple weeks.

Keith Tanner
11/9/20 11:57 a.m.

You can still scroll Prime, you just have to do it in the Prime app and not in the catch-all app that is always nudging you towards buying something on the Apple media store.

I think Prime has better exclusive content than Netflix or at least it's easier to evaluate the quality due to the rating system. But yeah, trying to stay on top of availability is a PITA. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RqkFxRPjsYfYw9Iea32pFIFpRyIneUHhYyRMmOagFJyopcHgMeDJsQDp6BI8WhZB