1 2 3 4 5
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/23 9:40 p.m.

That is a E36 M3 load of dirt. I can't even imagine trying to coordinate all that traffic. 

How much of that plot is going to be under roof? Just bringing a concrete factory on site?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/13/23 9:43 p.m.

This is cool. Thanks for sharing the story!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/13/23 9:45 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

16 million square feet

wake74
wake74 Reader
9/13/23 9:55 p.m.

Our project is smaller than [yours] in terms of TIC (at least for Phase 1) and in terms of SF under roof. Our dollars / SF is a lot higher on the other hand I think. Interesting that they allow you to post pics / video. In my industry client NDAs of 10-20 years is not uncommon and specifically forbids any photos / videos or even mention of the project name online. Including site prep. Makes it hard to show off the cool stuff we build unfortunately. 

OHSCrifle
9/13/23 10:07 p.m.

In reply to wake74 :

I hear that and I'm likewise a little surprised.. but it's just moving dirt. Hopefully SV reX isn't violating some rule. 

I toured a factory in Mississippi yesterday that manufactures "smart glass". 1M SF. Pretty big I thought.  

No pictures allowed. I was bummed. But the tour was cool. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/23 10:08 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Holy E36 M3. 

This scale is just staggering. Please, if you're allowed to, keep us posted, I know I'm not the only one that would be interested in seeing such a feat. 

As a 4" slab(easy hypothetical), that's 200,000 yards of concrete. That's just crazy. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/13/23 10:11 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

If you need anything (or all) of this thread scrubbed, let me know and I will throw some mod powers at it.  

I do find this all fascinating.  If you'd like to start over a new thread with more "vagueties" that would be cool also.  

OHSCrifle
9/13/23 10:13 p.m.

Every time I drive up 85 in NE Georgia past the SK battery facility I am blown away at the size.. yet [this project] will dwarf it. 
367 acres is a metric crap ton. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/23 10:16 p.m.
SV reX said:

Aww... that's adorable!

I meant 1400 OF THESE:

It moves 60 tons at a time!

Car and Driver did a road test on a similar truck back in the 80s.  One of the things that I remember from the article is that they said that the trucks are about as big as they can build them, because they are limited by the size of the tires.

The trucks can actually be assembled on site, but the tires need to be delivered at some point, whether it's from the tire manufacturer, or to a job site. Due to highway lane width and bridge height clearance, the tires can't be any bigger than they are now. They're maxed out. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/13/23 10:51 p.m.

I used to work around trucks like this in central BC, back in the 80s. I remember counting 17 steps up the stairway to the cab. You had to be very careful driving around the mine, and crossing the haul road in your rental car because they don't look like they're moving all that fast when you have nothing to scale against. The mine had a visitor presentation that included  a film of one of the haul trucks backing over a pickup. We had to put a long antenna with a red flag on the roof so the drivers could see us, just like running on sand dunes.

Haul Truck in a Copper Stock Footage Video (100% Royalty-free) 2725055 ...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/13/23 11:00 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

You've got mail

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
9/13/23 11:38 p.m.

I remember that article in CD. I believe that, when she was headed back empty to get another load, the driver they talked to used to let the tail step out a bit on turns, just because she could. (Just to be clear, this was a mine or something, not a road.)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/14/23 7:01 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to SV reX :

If you need anything (or all) of this thread scrubbed, let me know and I will throw some mod powers at it.  

I do find this all fascinating.  If you'd like to start over a new thread with more "vagueties" that would be cool also.  

I took down one post of my own and then in two member posts I made edits.  These edits are shown with [brackets] around them.  The edits were just the removal of brand names replaced with vague pronouns.  

These edits were not done because we thought there had been a NDA violation but rather that it just seemed wise to be respectful to privacy. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/14/23 7:09 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks John. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/14/23 7:15 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I worked for a company that made the beads for those large tires. https://bartellmachinery.com/equipment/tire-bead-winding/dual-giant/

There was a big capacity constraint in that industry (and may still be I have been out of it for a while). The beads are huge on those wheels. I had only ever seen 1 of the bead machines built but it was impressive, 72" diameter beads that had to be lifted with a crane. I think they weighed almost 1,000 lbs. 

OHSCrifle
9/14/23 7:51 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Good call. Will try to be mindful of this. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/14/23 7:51 a.m.

Diesel...

We are burning 8-12,000 gallons per day. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/14/23 7:55 a.m.

In reply to OHSCrifle :

I did a little self-editing too. I hadn't crossed any lines, but I don't want to make any waves. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/23 8:04 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I see loads of these headed to the Charleston port on a fairly regular basis. That's a lot of rubber. 

Big tires, big business for S.C. manufacturers > SC Biz News

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/23 8:08 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Cool project. Lots of things to shuffle. Lots of trades to schedule.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/14/23 8:15 a.m.
SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/14/23 8:16 a.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I used to live in Lexington SC near the Michelin plants. They had two identically sized plants. One was producing 30,000 passenger vehicle tires per day.

The other plant was producing the big off road tires. They were only able to build about 5 tires per day. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/14/23 8:18 a.m.

Those big tires cost us about $10,000 each.  We usually have to replace 2 at a time 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/14/23 8:31 a.m.

Tire wear...

A load of dirt is heavier than a load of rock- no voids. 

When a truck arrives here, we don't always know where it has been. If it's previously been working on a rock site, the tires may have invisible internal damage from riding over the sharp corners of the rock. 

When we load them with more weight and start bouncing the trucks, we can blow the tires. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
9/14/23 8:39 a.m.

What the heck is going there? That is absolutely monstrous.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oxXDrDXIBOkP14wyFHzk2jOhQ051FPOwtmNfk4xZrp1GRLIY6ClSNOhXknxVOWm4