1 2 3 4 5
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
9/14/23 8:04 p.m.

So if 12 of us happened to show up next week, strictly by coincidence, are we allowed on site?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/14/23 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

I'll give you a tour. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/14/23 8:38 p.m.
SV reX said:

I'll give you a tour. 

Can we play with the trucks?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/14/23 8:39 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Alright. Now you are pushing the limits!

wake74
wake74 Reader
9/14/23 9:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to wake74 :

Mike Roe, is that you? ;)

I agree, we need skilled tradespeople.

No, just a guy that is passionate about the value of the skilled trades. And someone that has a general disdain for the academic types who look down on anyone with-out a degree(s).  I spend most of my week talking with our Trade Partners, and the majority of that time is spent talking about the availability of certain skill sets.

I quickly learned how little my engineering degree taught me when I started in construction many (many) years ago. The industry has changed a lot since then, but the stuff people do with their hands still fascinates me. I keep a section of 1/4" SS tubing that one of the welders hand TIG'd (vs. using an orbital) to show off to me as a reminder that the folks in the construction trailer aren't the ones really making it happen.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
9/15/23 2:38 a.m.
SV reX said:

Those big tires cost us about $10,000 each.  We usually have to replace 2 at a time 

Does that mean drifting is frowned upon?

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/23 8:11 a.m.

I thought this was the site but then they said it was in NC so not the same site but I suspect it is similar in scale.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
9/29/23 9:03 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Yeah, they are similar, but that site looks a little bigger than mine. 

travellering
travellering Dork
9/29/23 10:04 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

Wow, so there's three enormous facility construction projects going on simultaneously in the southeast to make the same product?  One Murrican, one Vietnamese, and one Japanese.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
9/29/23 10:09 a.m.

Dire nerd here late to the party.   This is impressive. I've worked in the Piedmont - which judging by the "Georgia Clay" it's the same material.  We've used a ton of pans for mass earthwork.  But it does always seem to be subjective.

I bet the guys testing compaction can hardly keep up. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/29/23 10:58 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :  Re: Drifting dump Truck

You can find artists in the strangest places.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
10/1/23 11:35 a.m.

Wow just looked through all this. 
the numbers presented here are mind numbing. What a huge project. 
Thanks for sharing- love it. 
Keep us posted with pics ?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/23 2:49 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Without watching the video and noting the stated location, this probably the Toyota battery plant.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/1/23 3:12 p.m.

Do they load those huge dump trucks with a dragline?

SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy
SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/1/23 5:26 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:
SV reX said:

I'll give you a tour. 

Can we play with the trucks?

https://extremesandbox.com/

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/2/23 2:27 a.m.

Sorry, couldn't help myself ...

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/2/23 11:35 a.m.

In reply to TJL (Forum Supporter) :

No, mostly large excavators. 

The vast majority of drag lines are electric and consume a huge amount of power. Those energy needs are available at a mine, but not usually a construction site. There are no utilities here at all. 

Also, the excavators are easier to relocate frequently. Drags lines work best when they can sit in one place and move slowly to the next point. We need to relocate equipment many times per day. 

They are also really expensive. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/2/23 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Scotty Con Queso :

We do have a few pans here, but they are best for taking material in fairly shallow cuts. Most of our cuts are about 8' deep at a time.  They work well for (almost) finish grading.

We've altered elevations by about 30' (+-) on most of this site. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
10/2/23 12:05 p.m.

At my grandsons birthday party yesterday, he was watching a two hour Utube video of DIGGARS.  He would lose his E36 M3 if he saw that site.  He is two, there is hope for the future.

P.S. I just read four pages about a dig site.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
10/2/23 12:08 p.m.

Did this whole project start with one guy and a shovel who says start here and shoves it in to the clay?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/2/23 12:33 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

When my kids where that age.. They loved a trip to diggerland.

https://diggerlandusa.com/

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/2/23 12:40 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I think it started in a government office somewhere with a whole bunch of tax dollars and one guy that said "Vote for me".

JFW75
JFW75 New Reader
10/3/23 1:39 a.m.

The amount of factories currently being built in the USA is staggering. Impressive work!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
10/3/23 8:46 a.m.

I know this is a shower thought, but man it'd have been super cool to take like a daily photo from a fixed POV on something like this, although like you have mentioned, it might be impossible to capture the whole site into a single frame. 

Cool thread though, I love wierd niches where scale can mean everything.  I work in brewing, and as a reference, our local Anheuser Busch Plant makes more beer in a day than the rest of our state's annual craft throughput does combined.  If you think you're a big fish, wait to get relocated to a new pond... 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/3/23 8:53 a.m.

In reply to golfduke :

The most that can be seen from one point is about 300 acres.  The site is 2000.  It takes me 5 1/2 hours just to make the rounds to the points of concern and take a few pictures.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wI488UU06KyaKtUWNTdZhcOH1tGmj77DhlfiUpOCIiLlGfX5PfjVdrbueipCmNPs