1 2
Duke
Duke SuperDork
3/8/11 11:06 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: I'm a pilot by trade, so I'm arrogant enough to think that I can fly an r/c plane (how many times have you heard "real" pilots say that?), so hopefully we can get it up and running, and hopefully he'll have the patience to keep trying.

You'll have the hardest time remembering that left is right when you're flying toward yourself. But have fun! It's a pleasant hobby at any level of involvement.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
3/8/11 11:16 a.m.

I've been flying RC planes for over 30 years now and I still crash. I've "rekitted" more planes than I can count. I wish they'd had cheap ready built planes like this when i started to learn. As a pilot you already understand the principals involved. You should fly it first to get the hang of it and get it trimmed out. It goes without saying that if you wreck it you're buying him a new one.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
3/8/11 11:26 a.m.

Do it. On the side, build a more quality RC setup for yourself (they can be had cheap at local hobby store discount areas, just don't expect much, but they're fine really, if you don't want to spend the cash, I've built them from scratch before) and let him fly it just like he wants when he wants and where he wants. It's his big thing, so what if it crashes, you get a chance to fix it together! He damages his irreparably, whip out your 'good' setup and tell him that he can share since you're so proud of his dedication.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
3/8/11 11:37 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: Go for it. Model rockets are also a lot of fun. Build it right and your biggest worry will be how far the wind take it on it's way down. And then limbing 50' up into a tree to get it.

Parachutes suck! I've given them up for streamers. A slightly damaged rocket plowing into the ground at Mach 2 is more satisfying than watching it clear the neighbor's trees on its maiden flight, floating on what seemed on the ground to be a very slight breeze, never to be seen again!

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
3/8/11 11:38 a.m.

It takes a while to reprogram your brain to work the controls properly depending on which way the plane is flying.

If you want to maximize his chance of success and still let him buy the HF plane. consider getting an RC simulator. I purchased one of the early versions of "Real Flight" and it came complete with a controller it allowed me to crash a million times while learning how to control the plane without needing to rebuild an aircraft every time.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
3/8/11 11:48 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
pilotbraden wrote: By the way I can fly anything with wings but have destroyed every R/C airplane that I have ever laid hands on.
Prove it!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
3/8/11 12:42 p.m.

SOOOO much great advice here. Per nailed it with the car thing. Also, my brother taught me how to fly R/C stuff by first making me sit my ass on a simulator (I'm guessing you could download something for free or close to it,) then taking me out with two sticks connected - so if I got into trouble, he could take over.

And yes, they'll ALL get crashed. They'll ALL break to varying degrees. And model rockets are indeed awesome, IMO...especially the "payloader"...specifically when loaded with small reptiles, etc.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
3/8/11 2:33 p.m.

I've had a model plane problem for 40 years, on and off. I fly RC now divided between small electric park flyers and 40cc 2-stroke gas planes that have a better than 1-1 power/weight ratio.

The absolute best way to learn not to crash RC planes is to practice on a simulator. Period.

When I took up planes again about 10 years ago the mortality rate was high. While one of these:

GWS Slow Stick

Helped a great deal, it was getting a Real Flight simulator that made the difference. One evening last summer I decided to get in one last flight in the waning moments of daylight. The plane i'm flying, the above mentioned 40cc Extra 300 cost about the same as my first new car. As I turn onto final and the plane faces me, I lose my spatial orientation due to the low visibility and am in serious trouble. Fortunately I've practiced this on the sim many times and it's simply reflex to point the nose up and power out. I made a much tighter turn to final the next approach and vowed not to fly in the dark anymore. The sim has paid for itself many, many times over.

Real Flight 5.5 is about $300, but a quick search show favorable reviews for this: Clear View RC Flight Simulator

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
3/8/11 5:02 p.m.

Let the kid get the damn plane he saved up for. It will be a good learning experience no matter if he becomes an R/C master instantly or it crashes instantly and erupts in a giant ball of flames.

My parents forced me to put 1/2 my money in a bank account with no plan for what to do with it. I never learned to save because I never had a goal, I always felt like they were just stealing my earned money and gifts. The kid has a goal, did the work, and should get the reward he expects and learning experience that comes with it.

In fact i thing the extra 5'er its gonna take to get that thing out the door is a great reward, go get it this week!

P.S. I believe they sell replacement wings and whatnot for those, most damage can be repaired.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/8/11 5:33 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I really can't believe no one suggested using the HF 50% off coupon that is always around and buying 2......

Exactly! I have one of those, and I love it. I had a lot of fun flying it around with one of those keychain video cameras. The video is a little sickening, but some of the stills from it were pretty nifty.

I'll admit that mine is currently busted up, but it's certainly still repairable....and I flew it a couple times a week for two months before breaking the fuselage.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
3/8/11 7:28 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: I really can't believe no one suggested using the HF 50% off coupon that is always around and buying 2......

Whaaaa... links? That sounds like the perfect solution. I've only heard about the 20% coupon.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/8/11 7:29 p.m.

Stop being so darned "responsible". Who cares about the darned plane???

What he needs to hear is how proud his Dad is that he actually saved this much for so long, and then be given the freedom to spend it.

If you want to augment it, fine. "Son, I am so incredibly proud of what you have accomplished that I want you to know I've been saving too, and want to match all the money you've saved", or something like that.

But when purchase time comes, spend it joyfully, even if it is on something completely stupid. Don't be a wet blanket with all the "You don't want to waste your money, son" speeches.

Trust me. I'm a Dad who blew it on this one. I'm still working on mending that relationship a decade later.

Participate joyfully. Nothing more.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
3/8/11 8:26 p.m.
SupraWes wrote: Let the kid get the damn plane he saved up for. It will be a good learning experience no matter if he becomes an R/C master instantly or it crashes instantly and erupts in a giant ball of flames. My parents forced me to put 1/2 my money in a bank account with no plan for what to do with it. I never learned to save because I never had a goal, I always felt like they were just stealing my earned money and gifts. The kid has a goal, did the work, and should get the reward he expects and learning experience that comes with it. In fact i thing the extra 5'er its gonna take to get that thing out the door is a great reward, go get it this week! P.S. I believe they sell replacement wings and whatnot for those, most damage can be repaired.

You're right. I was never going to not "let" him buy it... it was more a matter of trying to help him get something that was a bit more quality...steering him to something that might be more appropriate for his age and skill group.

I always wanted a plane, but other things were more realistic for me... a bike (my own money), a car (my own money) etc. I'm still that way I guess- I have the money now to buy a "real" plane- like a good used Cherokee, but I haven't. Maybe just not sure the whole thing is real...

Anyway, I'm so damn proud of him for saving his money that I'd hate to see it break up in front of him in the first five minutes.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/8/11 8:31 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Anyway, I'm so damn proud of him for saving his money that I'd hate to see it break up in front of him in the first five minutes.

I nosed that plane into the dirt multiple times with no issues to the fuselage. That didn't crack up until I smacked it on asphalt multiple times.

The wings, being styrofoam, bent/broke after the first hard landing.....3" blue painter's tape - like many people you know use for their car numbers at the local autocross - solved that problem. I bought a spare set of wings/tail, but haven't even opened them.

just fly it over dirt and half his issues will be solved. Also, YMMV, but I had better luck flying it when I reversed the throttle control.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
3/8/11 9:09 p.m.

~Here~ is a very nice, home-built foamie r/c plane.

Will survive crashes and easy to fly (I've built a similar one).

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
3/9/11 8:32 a.m.

For the car example...

I have a friend who really wanted his kid to drive a Prius (safe, economical, socially conscience). Son wanted a pickup truck.

Friend told him he could drive anything he wanted, but if he bought a Prius, friend would match his money dollar for dollar.

Son had a choice. Son chose Prius.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/9/11 9:44 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Participate joyfully. Nothing more.

I agree 100% about participate joyfully. Be proud of your son for his gumption and drive. Be proud of your son for making his own decision.

But be more.

Be that amazing dad who can fix anything. Awe your kid with your skills with tape and glue.

Be a partner in flight. Flying is fun, always. Flying with dad, that's incredible fun.

Be that dad. When he crashes it into the ground, smashing it to bits. When he turns to look at you, with a quivering chin, to see how to react, show him. Smile and say "good flight", and "we can fix that". And do it. Put him back into the air, in his plane, that he and his daddy fixed.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/9/11 9:59 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Nice video quality. I just ordered one that uses a micro SD for $10.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
3/10/11 7:44 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote:
SVreX wrote: Participate joyfully. Nothing more.
I agree 100% about participate joyfully. Be proud of your son for his gumption and drive. Be proud of your son for making his own decision. But be more. Be that amazing dad who can fix anything. Awe your kid with your skills with tape and glue. Be a partner in flight. Flying is fun, always. Flying with dad, that's incredible fun. Be *that* dad. When he crashes it into the ground, smashing it to bits. When he turns to look at you, with a quivering chin, to see how to react, show him. Smile and say "good flight", and "we can fix that". And do it. Put him back into the air, in *his* plane, that he and his daddy fixed.

I try man, I try. I've had him on my hip for the last 6 months building a detached 16x20 garage.. we have a cyclekart project ongoing, and he's normally right there with me when the MG goes under the knife. Wants it for when he can drive. I most want to get him flying in a real airplane- to make it real for him like it never was for me (until I got picked up for flight school). Time, time, time.

Thanks for all the advice guys- parenting and r/c planes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i4F67zhrJcJcnWYFhQouzHcIBuQZh0CmBq84LVBjtjpVw0tn0jpPt8Rh2T9dgGH4