petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/9/12 5:48 a.m.

Is it just me, or are Dremel bits crazy expensive??? Are there any cheaper alternatives out there? A quick google/eBay search didn't yield much. :(

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
11/9/12 6:27 a.m.

They used to have a collection of bit/cutters at harbor freight. Usually cheaper to buy a big collection, most of which you don't need, then buy the brand cutting discs. Not sure if they still sell them though.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/9/12 6:51 a.m.

In reply to aircooled:

I bought that kit. It sucked. bits broke and dulled on paper.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
11/9/12 7:23 a.m.

My local Lowes always seems to have some sort of Dremel stuff on clearance. It's always changing, so I check every time I go in there. I picked up several sets of motor brushes which I can't seem to find anymore for fifty cents, and a whip for $10.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/9/12 7:48 a.m.

I've had surprisingly good luck with finding cheap bits and cutter and such at car shows.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
11/9/12 8:25 a.m.

What are you trying to do? I have my favorite Dremel brand bit, carbide 1/8" with a rounded end, and that's what I use about 99% of the time, with the rest the cut off wheel. They don't last forever, but the last one I bought lasted me about 10 years of chewing up 304 stainless. I think that about eight bucks for 10 years of serious chewing metal is reasonable.

I can't find my favorite bit at Wally World or Lowes anymore, so I bought the last one on Amazon. I'll find the number if you want.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/9/12 8:28 a.m.

Look for dental bits. The collet isn't standard Dremel size, but usually the Dremel comes with the adapter collet insert.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/12 8:35 a.m.

I've seen knockoffs for sale at a lot of hardware stores close to where the official Dremel bits are

mthomson22
mthomson22 Reader
11/9/12 8:44 a.m.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#dremel-compatible-carbide-burs/=k37sjo

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
11/9/12 10:18 a.m.

I cannot figure out how to mount the cut off wheels or sanding disks.

mthomson22
mthomson22 Reader
11/9/12 10:44 a.m.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#wheel-arbors/=k39bvx

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/9/12 11:23 a.m.

What I'm using up recently are the various wire brushes, while cleaning the gunk off the engine and transaxle. Soon I'll need to do some minor port-matching on the intake, so I'll have to pick up some grinding stones as well.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/12 11:35 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: I cannot figure out how to mount the cut off wheels or sanding disks.

You should have a shaft with a screw that goes into one end (if not, you need this part). you remove the screw, put it through the hole in the disc, and then screw it tightly into the shaft.

jhaas
jhaas HalfDork
11/9/12 6:39 p.m.

I cannot image porting a head with a dremel. This is the only way to go.

I keep the bit on the bottom chucked in my air grinder. It has done it all, and still sharp!?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/9/12 7:43 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Look for dental bits. The collet isn't standard Dremel size, but usually the Dremel comes with the adapter collet insert.

^This^

Ask your dentist for his cast-offs. When they will no longer cut tooth enamel, they've still got a ton of life left in them.

But I still wouldn't want to port a head with one.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
11/10/12 9:46 a.m.

Careful with the really cheap ones. Many are waaay out of round. The bearings in your Dremel will not like it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j3DJidCTScqDsdhUi5tcjNNNEHR3RTAeMCEJ9e1ToVoobQsRvIJ6DqHwsrclNZ6f