Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/9/23 11:01 a.m.

Something I've found myself spending too much time doing recently is tracking down the original song sampled in another/later song.

Here are some of my favorites I've come across so far:

This one might not be recognizable until about 2 minutes in:

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/9/23 11:06 a.m.

Awesome! 
diggin through old records has given us a ton of good new music. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/23 11:18 a.m.
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/9/23 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Nice! Adding that one to my Spotify playlist now.

travellering
travellering Dork
11/9/23 12:17 p.m.

For those who are mercilessly subjected to the top 40 radio, here's Doja Cat's "Paint the Town Red" sample source (right about one minute in).

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/23 1:54 p.m.

There used to be a website dedicated to this.  You could sort by artist or by sampled media.

I found a lot of interesting music that way.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/23 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I'm familiar with that David McCallum piece. I didn't know of the other two, but I like them, especially the middle one.

What I have no clue about is where they were sampled.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/9/23 7:08 p.m.

I suspect that you are familiar with The Amen Break?

Probably most popular is Straight Out Of Compton but here's a video of many

A list of many

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/23 7:21 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I adore that first video.  It is like the Wilhelm Scream, once you know what it is, you hear it everywhere.

Note to others: Video spends a good amount of time on the concept of copyright law. Apparently several people hold the copyright because nobody bothered to check to see if the break beats people were compiling/selling were original, so the whole situation is quite muddy.  Also explores the ethics of copyright vs. freedom of art, and how copyright can stifle artistic expression more than it helps artists.

"I don't read books. I read the dictionary, all of the books are in there"

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/9/23 7:47 p.m.

Have always loved this song, especially the bass line.

And here’s the original bass line:

johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/9/23 8:10 p.m.
johndej
johndej SuperDork
11/9/23 8:17 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/23 8:17 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/9/23 8:34 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I suspect that you are familiar with The Amen Break?

This is the coolest thing ive seen in a long time. John welsh wins the internet today!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/9/23 8:42 p.m.

The Amen Break is a deep internet rabbit hole

https://ig.ft.com/life-of-a-song/amen-break.html

,,,this “uneventful” jam is now the most sampled song in history, featuring in 4,271 other songs according to whosampled.com.

Drummer Coleman died broke and homeless in Atlanta, Georgia in 2006 without receiving any royalties from his iconic drum break. 

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
11/9/23 9:03 p.m.

1:40 will get you the rif in an early 90s hip hop gem. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
11/9/23 10:06 p.m.

Daft punk samples are wild.  Truly inventive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klIPdZiGALk

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/10/23 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I read somewhere that Fatboy Slim loses money every time he sells a copy of his first album, because of royalties he owes on all the samples.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/23 10:32 a.m.

The best part about chasing samples is that you usually end up with absolutely fantastic funky stuff from the 70s because of the rhythms. I've got all of Edwin Birdsong's albums now  thanks to Daft Punk - more than I have Daft Punk albums :)

Mezzanine
Mezzanine SuperDork
11/10/23 4:27 p.m.

Really encourage you all to check out a radio show called "OG Thursdays" on KEXP. This is the local independent in Seattle, but they're a big deal and far more than just a terrestrial radio station. 

OG Thursdays is done by DJ Larry Mizell Jr., and includes him breaking out samples from songs back to their origins. It's an informal show and not dedicated to this effort, but I've learned a TON about recent music history listening to it. I remember being a teen in the late 90s and early aughts and hearing older people rant about how "music today is just ripping off what came before it" and this show has demonstrated why I heard such sentiments multiple times! 

KEXP streams past broadcasts for up to two weeks but of course Larry has been on vacation for the last two weeks. Do check the link sometime because the covering DJs usually give it a go too! 

KEXP Afternoon Show . Look for the Thursday airings for OG Thursdays. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/10/23 4:33 p.m.

There are all kinds of hobbies out there, still cheaper than a girlfriend!  This one entertained the hell out of me.

nlevine
nlevine GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/10/23 5:07 p.m.

Part of what kept De La Soul's music from being released to streaming services was getting all of the clearances for the samples...

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/23 8:23 p.m.

In reply to nlevine :

I recommend a listen to the Soulquarains, who of course came after native tongues after giving that a viewing. Listening to music that blesses you will continue to bless you. 

tarach
tarach New Reader
11/11/23 9:29 a.m.

That's a good hobby. Much better than scrolling down social media pages.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7sj6RlA2VzEfudsEyao6bzZw7bfQ2lWaNmN7J4HEznO8QIqsE2S0BK21p12RX25B