1 2 3 ... 8
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/21/14 7:59 a.m.

Not a minute to spare! Run about! Scream and shout! Go to the store! Buy milk and bread and Cheetos! Buy it all! We could be snowed in for a week! Or a month! Oh, the humanity! It's starting! Call the president! We're all doomed! Doomed, I say! I see a snowflake! There it goes! Aiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/21/14 8:02 a.m.

9 people out of 40 called in today, over 3 inches of snow....berkeleying Bob Costas

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/21/14 8:02 a.m.

Don't forget the TP.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/21/14 8:07 a.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

I'm with you on the Cheetos.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/21/14 8:46 a.m.

Florida is 73 today, yeah I ran away screaming like a little Bob Costas, and yeah its nice in the hot tub.

Might go to Mecum's Auction this afternoon

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
1/21/14 9:07 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Florida is 73 today, yeah I ran away screaming like a little Bob Costas, and yeah its nice in the hot tub. Might go to Mecum's Auction this afternoon

I hate you so much right now. When I left the house, it was 13 degrees and the wind was blowing at 30mph with gusts over 45.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
1/21/14 9:41 a.m.

Just outside of Gettysburg, Pa. and 3 hours into the storm we have 3" of snow. If it snows all day like predicted we'll be over 12" by tonight. What was that I heard about global warming?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/21/14 9:45 a.m.
Don49 wrote: Just outside of Gettysburg, Pa. and 3 hours into the storm we have 3" of snow. If it snows all day like predicted we'll be over 12" by tonight. What was that I heard about global warming?

Uh oh! Let's not open that can of worms! We all know that "climate change" is causing unpredictable weather, not just warming.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/21/14 9:57 a.m.

I hate global warming.

It has warmed up to 1 degree so far.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/21/14 10:11 a.m.

Took nearly twice as long to get in to work this morning thanks to the snow and the idiots on the road who are scared to death of driving in it. Grrr. Was one nice thing about living where it snowed regularly- people didn't freak out about it and knew how to handle it.

But, I do get to watch the idiots sliding down the hill in front of our office building, so at least I get some free schadenfreude-fueled entertainment...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
1/21/14 10:14 a.m.

While I like to joke about the folks who panic and have incited (or attempted to incite) veritable weather panics in the workplace...I guess it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

And what I mean is...I'd rather everyone had all their groceries and beer and were staying home in their warm, cozy houses while I'm out horsing around, driving sideways (I'm sure the snow removal drivers LOVE me).

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
1/21/14 10:14 a.m.

One part of it is the fact that businesses are so damned set on not closing. It's one day. Who cares.

The other is that businesses haven't figured out yet how to allow employees to work remotely during emergencies.

Finally, it seems that people around the Mason Dixon Line don't understand the value of snow tires.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/21/14 10:28 a.m.
PHeller wrote: One part of it is the fact that businesses are so damned set on not closing. It's one day. Who cares. The other is that businesses haven't figured out yet how to allow employees to work remotely during emergencies. Finally, it seems that people around the Mason Dixon Line don't understand the value of snow tires.

No, I'd say that they do... For 0-6 days a year, it isn't worth it.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
1/21/14 10:31 a.m.

Stop being such Bob Costas.......

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/14 10:50 a.m.

Brought my work home over the weekend so I could get some done at home yesterday since we had it off. Consequently I was fully prepared to work from home today. Awww yeaaahh

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
1/21/14 10:54 a.m.

It might be 80 in SoCal today....

...hasn't rained significantly in almost a year...

...not good...

(we normally don't get a lot of rain until February or later, so there is still hope)

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/21/14 11:54 a.m.

I drove to work dining 70 on the snow and ice today. I fail to see what the hubbub is all about.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
1/21/14 12:10 p.m.

It's National French Toast Day people!!!

LOL.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/21/14 12:14 p.m.
petegossett wrote: I drove to work dining 70 on the snow and ice today. I fail to see what the hubbub is all about.

You ate your way thru the storm... berkeleying hardcore!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/21/14 12:33 p.m.

If it's under 12" of new snow, I go out without thinking about it.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/21/14 12:33 p.m.

Dunno. After a couple storms where folks were stranded for 10 hrs in their cars, I'm all about abundance of caution. I'm not from a snowy part of the world, so take what I'm about to say with that grain of salt, and your knowledge that I am talking out of my ass, and completely wrong.

Seems like this part of the country (mid-atlantic) suffers from a couple things:

1. One of the largest temp swings in the nation- and I mean the kind that matter, not the kind where it goes from average highs of 65 in the summer, and -5 in the winter (I'm looking at you, Anchorage), but the kind that goes from OMFGWTFBBQ my balls are serving another tour of duty in the jungles of vietnam to OMFGWTFBBQ my balls may never leave my chest cavity; all over the course of one year. Unfortunately, rather than make people good at surviving both kinds of weather, it makes for people ill suited to either.

2. After it snows, that snow melts, then turns back into ice overnight, only now, not the cute, white crystalline stuff, but the invisible slippery stuff. That E36 M3 is dangerous and sucks for people who see it only a few days a year. I busted my ass trying to bicycle into work the other day. Lack of experience on ice and bicycle, and slick tires- all was well until 5 miles in, and the wood boardwalk bridge on Roosevelt Island, when negotiating the slalom, I ate it, hard. The guy right behind me did too.

3. Who cares about being the toughest "snow guy"? I sure don't, and couldn't be more glad that my current occupation doesn't require me to be. There's no reason to take an unprepared vehicle (of any kind) out in even light snow cover. Eff that, unless I'm short on beer. Then I'm tough snow guy.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/14 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3:

If you mean the chicane in the boardwalk near the parking area at the northern end of the mount vernon trail, I've bought it there as well. no bueno :-/

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/21/14 12:55 p.m.

That's the one, brother.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/21/14 1:47 p.m.

Does 104 high in the summer to -22 in the winter count for "largest temp swings in the nation?"

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
1/21/14 1:53 p.m.

you must live by my parents!

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9pKxt7tcXtgYEXyizXpvNfC64gaGJ3wNQ0CEK93kPkUwkyXhm8FNJ8sD1UXTKxz8