1 2 3 ... 8
foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/25/10 2:27 p.m.

I think it's our local bicycle club, because usually it's in the packs of the road riders wearing silly clothes.

You see them ahead, riding single file along the edge of the road. Just as you start to overtake them, they fan out across the roadway, forcing you to swerve and slam on the brakes. They will stay in this formation until you get around them, and then go back to riding single file.

Yesterday it was a solo rider. As I started to overtake him he swerved all the way across the road into opposing traffic. He wasn't content with just making me slam on the brakes and swerve, he had the car coming the other way doing the same. Lucky for him I expected it and the other driver was paying attention. So we didn't hit each other, and we didn't hit him. Well, at least he seemed startled, I think he was so busy focusing on me he forgot about cars coming the other way.

One of these days, a rider or two is going to be converted into bloody rags.

GregTivo
GregTivo HalfDork
8/25/10 2:29 p.m.

Bicyclists are like drivers...most shouldn't be on the road.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
8/25/10 2:33 p.m.

Sometime I wonder when I see a cyclist on a narrow higher speed road: Statistically is he increasing or decreasing his expected life span?

It seems like the gains he his making by riding is being easily countered by the chances of getting run over.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
8/25/10 2:42 p.m.

I have a bike but haven't ridden it in years.

Yesterday I nearly ran over some idiot on a motorized recumbent bike who was doing what the rider in foxtrapper's scenario was doing. That is, as I got close enough to pass him, he swung widely into what would have been my path around him. Due to a street that was lightly twisting, I couldn't easily get around him without risking contact with oncoming traffic. I was very tempted to give him a long, loud blast of my horn...but a Civic's horn just has no power to really intimidate.

failboat
failboat New Reader
8/25/10 2:48 p.m.

So what do they expect you to do in that situation, just ride behind them at 8mph? Or hit them so they can sue?

I see quite a few cyclists riding on the scenic 2 lane roads in my area, but I have never had any of them try something like this.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
8/25/10 2:49 p.m.

As a cyclist who has ridden in almost every situation (city, town, country, mountain, sky), I think a lot of comes down to what drivers expect of cyclists.

Too often drivers expect cyclists to stay as far off the road as possible, where the drivers doesn't have to concern himself with moving over or slowing down.

For just the same reason, senior citizens driving slowly is just as infuriating to most drivers.

The berm of the road is the pedestrian right of way. If you hit someone on the berm, your at fault. It doesn't matter if they are on stilts, if they are wearing all black, if they are in are car or in a baby carriage, the berm is not where the flow of traffic belongs.

So drivers must follow "rules of the berm". Aka...staying out of it.

When a cyclist, pedestrian, or senior driver enters the travel lane...he/she must follow the rules of the road.

It is my understanding that a cyclist or pedestrian hit in the travel lanes is only NOT at fault when he/she is in a crosswalk or following rules of the road (hand signals).

However, no-one wants to kill somebody, and lots of times cyclists can't hear traffic behind when they've got traffic in front.

I do what I need to in order to stay alive. If that means pissing off a few drivers, than so be it. In the city, I ride in the travel lane. Why? Because I can ride faster than most people can drive in the city. I'm also not given the most amount of room between your car and the dude opening his car door.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
8/25/10 2:54 p.m.

On "swerving into the lane",

I keep my ass out of the road, especially when in the turns (unless going downhill).

Mind you, if the road doesn't have a berm, YOU MUST SHARE THE ROAD. It's that simple.

Don't take away my rights of riding because you feel you own the road.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
8/25/10 2:55 p.m.

Ugh... reminds me of Arcata. The cyclists there seemed completely ignorant that stop signs applied to them, and would come down the hill (of which there was a 4 way stop at the bottom) at 9 billion miles per hour and just shoot through the intersection.

I'm still surprised that I never collected one on the fender of the Bronco.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/25/10 3:05 p.m.

I don't understand this. I am SO cautious and aware of my lane placement. If I get out of the shoulder, I look back first and then I make my move--and that's only to ride around something.

The car will always win over the cyclist.

I stay over to the side as much as possible just so I'm a teeny bit less likely to get mowed down by Suzie Stay-at-home while she's busy juggling her coffee and her iphone, busily updating her facebook about what funny stuff Hayden, Kayden and Brayden did that day.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/25/10 3:06 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Don't take away my rights of riding because you feel you own the road.

Double-edged sword there, PH.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
8/25/10 3:10 p.m.

Well I can't really keep you from going around me?

If someone wants to drive 25mph in a 40mph zone, they are perfectly able, and passing zone permitted, everyone is allowed to pass them.

So, if they lane doesn't have a berm...you can wait to pass me just like you would a car, only I'm smaller and don't require a passing zone.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/25/10 3:15 p.m.

We have the same problem down here. The bicyclists complain that drivers don't show them proper respect, then fan out on narrow roads like foxtrapper said and wonder why people get pissed off.

I don't want to hit one, but man sometimes they make it really difficult.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/25/10 3:17 p.m.

I have mopeds that I used to ride a lot. My rule was to stay within 1 foot of the white line at the right side of the road unless I was at a traffic signal or making a left turn, etc.

Even then I have been run off the road before simply because I couldnt do over 35mph on a 55mph road. Usually large SUV's that put their front bumper about 1 foot off the back of the moped and start blowing the horn.

That was in Ohio.. In western Maryland I hardly ride the mopeds because 35mph turns to 17mph going up hills. That said, I am in a more urban setting and the drivers have had much more understanding and curtesy in general.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/25/10 3:18 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
PHeller wrote: Don't take away my rights of riding because you feel you own the road.
Double-edged sword there, PH.

QFT. When I ride I try not to slow others down and when I drive I try not to startle or push the bikes around. More than once I've had the pack of cyclists become a roadblock just because of some righteous indignation they have going on... for this, I have the mean streak to pace them and enough diesel smoke to make breathing uncomfortable.

Share the road works both ways.

Bababooey
Bababooey New Reader
8/25/10 3:21 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: I think it's our local bicycle club, because usually it's in the packs of the road riders wearing silly clothes. Yesterday it was a solo rider. As I started to overtake him he swerved all the way across the road into opposing traffic. He wasn't content with just making me slam on the brakes and swerve, he had the car coming the other way doing the same. Lucky for him I expected it and the other driver was paying attention. So we didn't hit each other, and we didn't hit him. Well, at least he seemed startled, I think he was so busy focusing on me he forgot about cars coming the other way. One of these days, a rider or two is going to be converted into bloody rags.

You, as the vehicle behind, are responsible for whatever is in front of you. A bike is to be treated as a motor vehicle and even have to abide by traffic laws. Quit trying to thread the needle, slow your ass down, and wait for the road to clear. It's illegal for bikes to "peloton" up but your threading the needle is outright stupidity. It is 100% legal for a bike to take the lane if there is some obstruction or to take a corner. I come across jackasses like you all the time. You hit this biker, you better kill me because I'll sue your ass off if I'm still alive.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
8/25/10 3:21 p.m.

i cycle in the city all the time. as dumb as a lot of drivers are, and asshatty as the cabbies are, cyclists are simply the most dangerous thing i have to share the streets with. ones with helmets on are the worst, i guess they're invincible. they go past with no warning within inches sometimes, yet they expect cars to give them several feet, sheesh. pedestrians are the next most dangerous.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/25/10 3:22 p.m.

Around here, they congregate on a 2 lane steep mountain road AT RUSH HOUR and ride 2 or 3 abreast uphill when they see someone is behind them. And they wonder why everyone hates their guts.

monark192
monark192 Reader
8/25/10 3:23 p.m.

Some car drivers REALLY hate cyclists - I have had eggs and bottles thrown at me, been honked or shouted at with the only goal to scare or intimidate me, and generally harrassed. Even had one guy who drove past 3 times in about one minute just to shared his opinion on our small ride groups sexuality. Only actually been hit by a car once thankfully.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
8/25/10 3:25 p.m.
Bababooey wrote: You hit this biker, you better kill me because I'll sue your ass off if I'm still alive.

Easy pal, I don't want to get killed over here!

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/25/10 3:26 p.m.

In reply to PHeller:

Understood, but, while swinging wide to the left when a vehicle comes up behind you is your right, do you want to argue that in court, or have an estate attorney do it for you?

I live in area that is a popular destination for cyclists. Far more often than not, I experience cyclists ignoring the common courtesies expected from cage-drivers, but demand for themselves. If you're smaller and don't require a "passing zone", why create a situation where said zone is necessary?

Respect goes both ways and my anecdotal experiences suggest there is much to be learned from both sides.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/25/10 3:37 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJLrcG64ulU

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/25/10 3:43 p.m.

This is a sore subject on this board... and an old one... I don't think foxtrapper gives a crap about having to pass a cyclist on the road... but as a cyclist myself, I cannot condone fanning across the lane in order to force a drive to slow down, nor do I really see it as being effective. If a driver sees me, he won't hit me (too much paperwork). If he doesn't see me, swerving into the middle of the road won't help anything. The only time I make a point of being in the main driving area of the road is on certain down hill curves where my speed can occasionally exceed the comfort level of most drivers and I don't like tailgating a car at 50 mph.

I've been riding on narrow SE PA roads for most of my life. I really don't care how fast or close a car is when passing as long as they don't hit me.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/25/10 3:44 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Mind you, if the road doesn't have a berm, YOU MUST SHARE THE ROAD. It's that simple. Don't take away my rights of riding because you feel you own the road.

I'll be completely delighted to share the road... on the day I stop seeing shiny happy person riders running stop signs, going through red lights, and making illegal turns.

If bikers want to insist I share the road, they bloody well need to follow the rules too.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
8/25/10 3:48 p.m.
foxtrapper wrote: One of these days, a rider or two is going to be converted into bloody rags.

I wondered when this happened if the bicyclist had tried that, or swerved for some other reason.

Dallas bicyclist hit in Lubbock

Basically, a bicyclist preparing for a big ride swerved into the lane in front of an F150. Unknown reason. Predictable outcome.

I ride a bike, but do so very defensively. AND in accordance with the law, for what good that does.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
8/25/10 3:49 p.m.

I think it's just the silly clothes that cyclists wear that make people hate them. I mean no grown man should ever be caught in Spandex - that is unless they wrestle in the WWE or are Axl Rose.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eu86w45nRSh6D9a3huToxu1ibdrkAqe2mMDWroQZ4YtCyqkVnJGrSidvViZmrL4m