1 2
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/12/09 9:22 a.m.

I've never heard of them, but that's not exactly my thing. My wife is making sweaters for these, five for her friend's granddaughters. Last week while in NYC Trish and her friend stopped in the "American Doll" store, whodathunk. An eight year old was having her doll's hair done, $85. Grandma was all smiles and had more bling on one finger than Trish has in her whole dresser. Upscale stuff.

If your son or daughter wants one of these for Christmas I suggest you run like the wind. You'll be selling off your car project to finance matching outfits.

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/static/dolls.jsf/uniqueId/2/nodeId/11/webMenuId/5/sName/Dolls

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/09 9:24 a.m.

You could probably get a Central or South American Girl doll for significantly less.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/12/09 9:31 a.m.

Katie went through an American Girl stage, and yes, you can spend a bazillion dollars on them. However, as dolls go, they have a lot going for them: realistic body shapes (important when you have young girls developing an idea of body image), neat backstories that offer little glimpses into different historical periods, and if you take a more grassroots approach (as we did) you can get into them without spending a fortune thanks to a wealth of dress patterns for DIY outfits. A trip to the American Girl Cafe a few years ago was a highlight of a holiday-season visit to NYC, but like the cheapskates we are we did lunch only. :-)

Margie

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/12/09 9:33 a.m.

I have a little sister, and a girlfriend who has two little sisters. Of course I have heard of them. I have never been to the store, but they have. the dolls themselves are very expensive.
Actually, they made a movie surrounding the story of one of the dolls. It had Abigail Breslin in it. I think it was called Kit Kittridge.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
12/12/09 9:48 a.m.

My Sister-in-Law and her husband (both Docs) buy these for their two daughter's (both will presumably morph into Docs).

I think that we (my Lovely Wife) bought 2-3 for the daughter...but I did tell her that if I were to spend that kind of coin on a doll...it would be inflatable.

Unfortunately ipods and cell phones soon follow...

Marty! Less filling, Tastes great!
Marty! Less filling, Tastes great! Reader
12/12/09 10:01 a.m.
914Driver wrote: If your son or daughter wants one of these for Christmas I suggest you run like the wind.

If my son wants a doll it better be a GI Joe, kung-fu grip, grenades, and all that jazz......

Not that there's anything wrong with a boy wanting a girls doll. Right?

Besides my 10yo is into just as expensive stuff. With his dreams of being a mini version of Rob Dyrdek, I have spent a small fortune on DC gear. Do you think I can get Ken Block to give me back a set of the tires that he burnt all up? I mean I practically paid for them right?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/09 10:18 a.m.

My wife bought this to give to my daughter this Christmas:

http://www.target.com/Chicco-Ducati-Grand-Prix/dp/B000K3FR1Y

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/12/09 12:43 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Katie went through an American Girl stage, and yes, you can spend a bazillion dollars on them. Margie

So I should pimp Trish out knocking out these sweaters she's giving away free?

She may be able to finance my next project!

Dan

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
12/12/09 1:12 p.m.

I was never into dolls as a kid (unless they fit on one of my toy horses) but I agree with Margie - those look a hell of a lot more realistic and healthy than Barbie.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/12/09 2:21 p.m.

I was always more partial to Sweet Patootie dolls, myself.

Much cheaper, easier to clothe, and when they got shriveled, instead of a $400 Botox treatment, you just dug another yam out of the garden and started over.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/12/09 2:50 p.m.

Any time I look at a website for something and there are no prices it's time for me to move on. 'If you have to ask, you can't afford it...'

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
12/12/09 3:48 p.m.

My daugter and wife were just discussing these....

pete240z
pete240z Dork
12/12/09 10:12 p.m.

There is a store in Chicago and when I travel back from business trips on a Friday afternoon; I see a lot of moms/daughters on my flights. An expensive weekend in Chicago is ahead.

I did visit the store once and all I can think of is "why didn't I think of this"????

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/12/09 10:35 p.m.

There is a store in the MOA that recently opened. They have a cafe, spa days for you and your doll, and overnight events. Scary cult stuff.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/09 10:53 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Katie went through an American Girl stage, and yes, you can spend a bazillion dollars on them. Margie
So I should pimp Trish out knocking out these sweaters she's giving away free? She may be able to finance my next project!

absolutely! while they're no silver-spoon-artichoke, trish could certainly make a small fortune on these hand-made and therefore very exclusive sweaters. make, say, 50 of each style, number each one, include some "certificate of authenticity" inside the packaging, and watch the cash roll in. don't forget to apply for intellectual property protection, then license the designs to the american girl doll manufacturers and watch the royalty checks pile up!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/12/09 10:59 p.m.
914Driver wrote: If your son or daughter wants one of these for Christmas I suggest you run like the wind. You'll be selling off your car project to finance matching outfits.

I hear you. My son wanted a cadet kart last year. He got it. Daddy's motor is still on the floor waiting on new shiny bits.

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
12/12/09 11:30 p.m.
mndsm wrote: There is a store in the MOA that recently opened. They have a cafe, spa days for you and your doll, and overnight events. Scary cult stuff.

I saw that while I was out there. Very interesting

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
12/12/09 11:47 p.m.

My Sweet Patootie doll needs some aroma therapy. I've got $300 to spare. Where do I go to get it?

She's really beginning to smell wonky. Maybe I should just head out to the garden, but they don't have certificates of authenticity..

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/12/09 11:58 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: My Sweet Patootie doll needs some aroma therapy. I've got $300 to spare. Where do I go to get it? She's really beginning to smell wonky. Maybe I should just head out to the garden, but they don't have certificates of authenticity..

Boil it in Febreze

Maxnscrappers
Maxnscrappers
12/13/09 12:12 a.m.

They started out as a book series, they were out in the late 80's, early 90's I read them when I was babysitting in middle/high school. It's actually a very educational series for young girls iirc.

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
12/13/09 6:35 a.m.
Maxnscrappers wrote: They started out as a book series, they were out in the late 80's, early 90's I read them when I was babysitting in middle/high school. It's actually a very educational series for young girls iirc.

Yes, they are, due to the backstory of the girls (you learn a bit of history of the times they were in). I think there were a couple of "value" stories thrown in though I'm not sure.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/14/09 10:10 a.m.

Of course like any trend, California has to go and screw it up hilariously

Malingering's Blog

20Ver
20Ver New Reader
12/14/09 11:20 a.m.

Niece was into them and I think is now out of them. But I ventured to the Mall last year to pick up a few items for xmas for her from the family. Place was a gold mine of cougars and women wanting to help me. Place was swamped busy and I had three different sales ladies helping me and suggesting items because I acted confussed. They kept telling me I was a great uncle and so kind, honestly it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Only other dude in the whole store was holding about 6 coats, a purse or two and he had this look like he would have lit himself on fire to get out of there if he had a fire source.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
12/14/09 11:26 a.m.

Family trip to Chicago this weekend just so my 8 year old can go to the 'American girl doll' store and pick out another (#4 I think) for Christmas !!! Actually as these things go I see it as a lot better for her than the dreaded Barbie impossible body dolls. Although life was easier when she still believed in Santa!

mtn
mtn SuperDork
12/14/09 3:15 p.m.

I went in there with my mom and girlfriend once. Kinda cool in an extremely girly way. If I was more in touch with my feminine side I think I could understand it. I think that its not a bad investment overall if the girl takes care of it, looking on ebay it doesn't look like there is much depreciation. Besides, good quality is good quality.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7YnUWYDyWheP8VOxAg4rIGC44sheSgEJA09p8FDeRC3lu8iYkRsIBcOpNOBHLmWZ