1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/23/11 11:36 a.m.

http://100gf.wordpress.com/2011/07/23/is-amy-winehouse-dead-reported-to-have-died-from-drug-overdose-within-past-hour-rip/

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/23/11 11:38 a.m.

daily mail agrees
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2018020/Amy-Winehouse-dead--Found-dead-London-flat.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/23/11 11:43 a.m.

That's awful; not that much of a surprise, although I thought she was getting herself straightened out.

xd
xd Reader
7/23/11 11:50 a.m.

She should have said yes, yes, yes to rehab.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade HalfDork
7/23/11 12:01 p.m.

Step 1: Take rehab seriously.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
7/23/11 12:10 p.m.

One less worthless celebrity for people to waste their time worrying about.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/23/11 12:35 p.m.
bigbrainonbrad wrote: One less worthless celebrity for people to waste their time worrying about.

She was a has been before she became famous. Basically less than charlie sheen

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/11 12:48 p.m.

Let the piling on begin?

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/23/11 1:33 p.m.

Drugs are bad. M'kay?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
7/23/11 2:23 p.m.

Can we wait 'till she's cold to say how worthless a human life is?

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Or to quote John Lennon, how do you sleep at night?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/11 2:23 p.m.

I have to say it is no surprise. Hopefully she can act as a warning to all the others (not that it will happen)

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/23/11 2:26 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Can we wait 'till she's cold to say how worthless a human life is? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Or to quote John Lennon, how do you sleep at night?

When you start mourning every single death across the world, get back to me. Until that time, you are just as selectively heartless as the rest of us.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/23/11 2:30 p.m.

I don't know who she was other than somebody that was in the news constantly for being stoned out of her mind and going into and out of rehab. AFAIK she's been working towards an untimely demise for several years. I guess she was a singer of sorts?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
7/23/11 3:23 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: When you start mourning every single death across the world, get back to me. Until that time, you are just as selectively heartless as the rest of us.

Don't be so quick to judge. I'm mindful of the needless loss of life across the world.

But, to my point, I cast no stone.

alex
alex SuperDork
7/23/11 3:33 p.m.

The fact that it's not surprising makes it even sadder, really.

It's a rough path: the personal demons that led to her addiction addiction were her gateway to creativity, and when she gained acclaim for her work, she suddenly had the time, money and access to all the terrible things she should have been working to remove from her life.

I knew people who knew her, who were around when it looked like she might clean up, and who felt they had no choice but to drop her when it was obvious she was getting out of control. I can't help but think of them - not to mention her parents, from whom she estranged herself years ago - and what they must be feeling.

It's a loss of real talent, and it's a damned shame.

You Know I'm No Good, acoustic (backed by one of the guys I know).

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
7/23/11 3:37 p.m.

young/ old, rich/ poor, talented or not, heroin don't care

byron12
byron12 Reader
7/23/11 3:56 p.m.
alex wrote: The fact that it's not surprising makes it even sadder, really. It's a rough path: the personal demons that led to her addiction addiction were her gateway to creativity, and when she gained acclaim for her work, she suddenly had the time, money and access to all the terrible things she should have been working to remove from her life. I knew people who knew her, who were around when it looked like she might clean up, and who felt they had no choice but to drop her when it was obvious she was getting out of control. I can't help but think of them - not to mention her parents, from whom she estranged herself years ago - and what they must be feeling. It's a loss of real talent, and it's a damned shame. You Know I'm No Good, acoustic (backed by one of the guys I know).

I agree that amy winehouse was a great talent. It is a bummer and dissapointing if not suprising.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/11 8:15 p.m.

most of your truely talented performers have some serious demons. It is what drives them.

One of my favourites is Emelie Autumn.. girl has been bipolar all her life.. it was what drove her to music in the first place

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/23/11 8:45 p.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Let the piling on begin?

This. She was much, much more well known in Europe, and more for her talent than her addiction problems; and she won an armful of US Grammiys.

She was also someone's daughter, relative, lover, loved by others, and is due the dignity that comes with respecting someone who has past away.

Will
Will HalfDork
7/23/11 8:54 p.m.
bigbrainonbrad wrote: One less worthless celebrity for people to waste their time worrying about.

Who appointed you judge of the worth of human lives? No, people shouldn't get caught up in the cult of celebrity. I won't shed any tears over her, but to proclaim her life worthless is callow and awful. Do you imagine that your life is worth more?

It's sad that she let her addictions destroy her life. She had a once-in-a-generation kind of voice--too bad she didn't value it more than her vices.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/23/11 10:21 p.m.

My life isn't worth more or less, but I still don't care. Why does being famous suddenly mean that whatever struggles you've dealt with become "bigger" than what the rest of us have to deal with?

I've had some trials and tribulations like many others on this forum.

What is with the over the top sanctimony on this board lately?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
7/23/11 10:25 p.m.

No, she just smells that way.

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/23/11 10:36 p.m.

z31maniac wrote: " Why does being famous suddenly mean that whatever struggles you've dealt with become "bigger" than what the rest of us have to deal with? "

It doesn't.

It just becomes known to more people. It's then up to each individual to assign value to that knowledge. Like it or not, a multi-grammy award winning singer dying is news. What you do with it is your private business. Publicly degrading that person just made your opinion open to public scrutiny and comment, like it or not.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/23/11 11:40 p.m.

27... just like a few others.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
7/23/11 11:46 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Can we wait 'till she's cold to say how worthless a human life is? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Or to quote John Lennon, how do you sleep at night?

I have no concept of her value.

But jokes is funny.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0VDmVMAYWRTLObZIz2D3gwopZ4nBXeGJVkvx7MKmUuPBB7nHCD6HPZMoqsVuKta4