1 2 3
Sultan
Sultan Reader
7/24/11 1:29 a.m.

I feel mostly for her Dad. He really tried to save her.

So she was worth $20 million when she died with more $ to follow. As the drug dealers loose a customer the lawyers pick up the slack of taking the money.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/24/11 8:10 a.m.

Not exactly the class of Janis, Jimi or the Lizard King, but welcome to the 27 Club.

Oh yeah, and Cobain.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/24/11 8:50 a.m.

Sad.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
7/24/11 9:29 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Not exactly the class of Janis, Jimi or the Lizard King, but welcome to the 27 Club. Oh yeah, and Cobain.

My father said something similar about Cobain when I was looking at a forever 27 poster a few years back.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/24/11 10:07 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Not exactly the class of Janis, Jimi or the Lizard King, but welcome to the 27 Club. Oh yeah, and Cobain.

I don't know she was kinda the modern day Joplin. She was a great singer and I really liked her music. It is sad that she is dead and even sadder that it is no surprise.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/24/11 10:17 a.m.

I wonder how many fans she will pick up now that she is dead. I never knew much about her in life, but have listened to enough now that she has died to say I like her music

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/24/11 10:18 a.m.

Sad that this is generating more buzz than what happened in Norway.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
7/24/11 12:10 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I don't know she was kinda the modern day Joplin. She was a great singer

When did Janis Joplin become a great singer?

I think they can fix that horrid screeching in the studio now.

FWIW, I'd have put my head in front of a shotgun if I'd married Courtney Love. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ul8GNnAgyc

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/24/11 12:13 p.m.

If Lane Staley didn't serve as a warning to anyone, Amy Winehouse isn't going to, either.

It completely baffles me why anyone even TRIES heroin in this day and age.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/24/11 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Trans_Maro:

I meant Amy Winehouse was a great singer. But in a lot of ways she was like a modern Joplin (not including the voice).

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/24/11 1:55 p.m.

Another one joins the 27 club.

Very sad.

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/24/11 2:06 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Sad that this is generating more buzz than what happened in Norway.

Actually, no. The wack job murderer in Norway has had far, far more air time than Winehouse. And will have over the coming days.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/24/11 6:04 p.m.

Will Smith isn't dead.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
7/24/11 7:58 p.m.

I really liked the songs of hers that I heard. It saddens me to think of what she might have been in much the same way that I think Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain could have been and done so much more.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
7/24/11 8:28 p.m.

If Janis Joplin died at 27, those were 27 hard, hard years.

fasted58
fasted58 Dork
7/24/11 8:49 p.m.

I feel for anybody dealing w/ substance abuse, tried to help a few as much as possible till they quit treatment repeatedly and just berkeleying gave up ... might as well just wash your hands then, cause then they're just dancin' w/ the devil. I feel more for combat vets dealing w/ their demons of war than any pop culture star... who worth multi- millions could afford the best treatment on the planet.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
7/24/11 10:47 p.m.

She was very talented, and I'm sad she didn't make it. I'm also sad that her vices got more press than her talents, and she lost a lot of credibility as an artist. :(

This is my favorite performance from her, a brilliant cover of "Valerie" by the Zutons (their original version is awful....Amy truly transformed it). I think it really shows her passion and ability, even if it's a poor live recording in an echoey room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqSKVv6YO8g

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
7/24/11 10:53 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: If Janis Joplin died at 27, those were 27 hard, hard years.

She was 58 when she died at 27.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/24/11 10:59 p.m.
Duke wrote: It completely baffles me why anyone even TRIES heroin in this day and age.

I hate to say it but I can see why. I was given morphine in the hospital after an accident and am pretty sure if I had tried it on the street I would have continued to do so. I have all the will power of a crack whore, and the feeling i got, besides killing the pain was interesting. At one point my wife came in and I was talking to Grimace, the big purple guy from the McD. commercials.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/11 12:25 a.m.

I have known a couple of Heroin addicts.. every single one of them has gone dry and then gone back to it.

The only one I know still alive.... I last saw him literally dancing down the street in Atlantic City

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/25/11 9:27 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Kurt Cobain could have been and done so much more.

he would have just married courtney love and killed them both later.....

loss of human life is regrettable, but if they bring it upon themselves, not so much.

that said, is it a bad thing that vegas didn't have odds on this? they had a death pool that the house won because no one bet she'd make it past 24.....

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/25/11 9:41 a.m.

Before a few minutes ago I didn't know who she was. Beautiful voice, but when I have seen so many die tragically (no more than anyone else) I can't help but see all she had done and ask how this is a tragedy. For her family and friends? Of course it is. I'm sure they loved her and not for what she had done (who she was), but I don't feel any pain for her. She may have not put a barrel to her head, but with all she had done, she will be remembered. I hope for both the good and bad, because it needs to be a lesson. Obviously people don't fully understand how dangerous the drug life is, because people are continuously killed by drug use. Sorry, but I don't feel all that bad.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
7/25/11 9:45 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Sad that this is generating more buzz than what happened in Norway.

This. 92 people dead and we're worried about a semi-famous trainwreck that finally managed to off herself on the drugs. I get it, she was talented. But let's face it, everyone knew it was coming. Hell, she probably did. But it doesn't remove the fact that we have bigger things to worry about. Sure, it's a tragedy... death usually is. But, sometimes people just need to be let go, and I think she was one of those. At least now, she's not in pain. Now, can we move on to stuff that actually matters?

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/25/11 9:55 a.m.

NBC Sunday night news: Out of a 22-ish minute broadcast, 4 min 27 seconds on the massacre in Norway, and 37 seconds on Winehouse. I timed the broadcast out of wanting to document my prior post.

To help the country move on, the judge has closed the court room to the media at his arraignment so his "cause" won't get more attention. Judge didn't want the victims families to hear anything from him. . He does, however, have a 1500 page manifesto floating around the internet.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/25/11 12:00 p.m.
Wally wrote:
Duke wrote: It completely baffles me why anyone even TRIES heroin in this day and age.
I hate to say it but I can see why. I was given morphine in the hospital after an accident and am pretty sure if I had tried it on the street I would have continued to do so. I have all the will power of a crack whore, and the feeling i got, besides killing the pain was interesting. At one point my wife came in and I was talking to Grimace, the big purple guy from the McD. commercials.

I mean, I know why it's 'fun' and I know why it's addicting - what I can't imagine is how anybody in the civilized world doesn't know it's a long, nasty, one-way trip before they even touch it the first time. Yet they still do.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i1fTj61nIgYt4dHgrh0qjgxhyjF3jC6HUEok3WSAdva5rBeUMjJsGGcFqgJfMXOQ