1 2 3
tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
6/7/19 4:34 a.m.

My daughter had a similar issue with a left wing English teacher.  The day after Trump got elected, the teacher was a mess.  Openly crying in class and excusing herself repeatedly.  The Thursday and Friday of election week she played kitten videos because "the kids were so upset, they needed soothing".  The next writing assignment was due the following Monday.  My daughter took the opportunity and railed on the teacher.  6 pages of tearing that women a new one.  Got called to the office.  We had to sit down with the principal, guidance, and the teacher.  Daughter refused to rewrite the assignment, and got a zero.  Teacher got a few days off but came back a different, more tolerant teacher.  Daughter actually had the teacher write a letter of recommendation for college, and my second daughter is doing the same.  I got to see the letter.  Spoke about courage, tolerance and learning more about herself from an 11th grader than what she got out of 6 years of college.  Life defining moment.  Daughter is now double majoring in education and business.  Wants to own a daycare center someday.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/7/19 7:12 a.m.

Think about a subject that you know inside and out, top to bottom.  Something you could be considered an expert on.  

Then think about the last time you read a news story about that subject, and how many errors that news story made that you KNEW were wrong.

Now extrapolate that to any story you hear, about any topic.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/19 7:29 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

you said "taint"

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/19 7:36 a.m.

The University I attended was rated the #2 party school in the nation at the time and about 50% of the graduating class went on to become teachers. While there are many, many great teachers out there, there are some who set the bar a little lower. This one missed an excellent opportunity to teach their class, but gave your son a valuable lesson in dealing with A-holes. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
6/7/19 10:18 a.m.

Another thing to teach here though is how to preface things so they are more acceptable. 

I disagree with the assertion that a few fallacies makes a whole argument bunk. No, the way to phrase those concerns is to say "Based on some factual errors and some biased persuasions, I believe these areas need further research. That being said, we should waste no time in transitioning to a less-carbon intensive economy, for many reasons outside of the global warming debate." 

If a kid said that to me, I'd give him a high five for not only being a critical thinker, but also being pragmatic and well spoken. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles New Reader
6/7/19 10:14 p.m.

In my high school literature class I started getting fed up with the "classic" literature we were required to read and even had a dialogue with the teacher at one point. All I remember is that she didn't condemn me for disliking the classics, she just told me that it was my choice if I wanted to skip them as long as I was content with scoring poorly on tests. I was content with low scores and ended up passing with a B, which I believe was my lowest grade for that semester. To this day I have tremendous respect for her for not changing the rules for my sake, but not expecting me to conform to them.

Today I've rekindled my enjoyment of reading and it's been invaluable as I try to learn skills I've always wanted to have. I even read for entertainment sometimes (but not the classics!).

Teachers are only human and while some seem to be more "human" than others, it's good to know that bad experiences can still be learning experiences for everyone.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/19 8:59 a.m.
pheller said:

I disagree with the assertion that a few fallacies makes a whole argument bunk.

I don’t think they necessarily make the argument bunk but I do think they make the author bunk.

As judges often instruct jurors…

Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus “false in one thing, false in everything”

If I catch somebody bull$hiting about one thing, I’m not going to waste my time sorting through everything else they’ve said to find the other bull$hit, I’m going to kick them to the curb and look for a more credible source of information.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/10/19 11:14 a.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

“false in one thing, false in everything” is a good way to write off every human on the planet. Everyone is wrong from time to time.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/10/19 11:39 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

“false in one thing, false in everything” is a good way to write off every human on the planet. Everyone is wrong from time to time.

Except me, of course.

Robbie
6/10/19 11:44 a.m.

To me, there is a large difference between being unknowingly false and intentionally false.

There is also the giant problem of everyone having a different perspective, and therefore truth/fact isn't even the same for any two people.

I find that if you can treat nothing as 100% fact it's actually a bit easier than trying to sort the facts from the lies.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/10/19 11:49 a.m.

It's important to consider the source. 

Legit scientist with relevant education and solid credentials:  Good source--read to be informed.

Political mouthpiece with an agenda (as they all do):  Dubious source--read for entertainment value only.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/10/19 11:53 a.m.

When he pointed out some of the discrepancies the next day he was laughed at and called a climate change denier by the teacher, for the amusement of the rest of the class

You know, in today's climate, that is pretty intense bullying from an authority figure. If I wasn't so against egregious lawsuits, I'd say make the teacher pay for his college education. 

Robbie
6/10/19 12:23 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Say what you want politically, but the "truth" of the matter is that teachers can't even pay for their own college educations.

(Warning, this is supposed to be a strongly facetious post where I have perhaps not-so-discretely swapped the fact with a political statement yet still called it a truth. This "fact" could be studied and basically any side of the argument could easily be verified with good data. I hope this examplifies exactly where the problem lies - any truth depends more on the person's personal perspective than a collaboration of data.)

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/10/19 12:26 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Don't you know?

In today's climate, if you find someone with differing views than your own, it's much simpler to shout them down than to consider an alternate point of view.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/19 12:48 p.m.

I would be pissed. and I would make sure that the Teachers Boss and there Boss (Principal and Superintendent) know about this matter.  I would file a formal letter with the school outlining exactly what happened.  Just stay neutral over the subject matter and instead focus on what happened and why that was so wrong.  What the teacher did to your son was probably one of the worst things a teacher can do to a young impressionable mind.  Combined with public humiliation.  This goes against what teachers and teaching is all about. The Teacher needs some re training and / or needs to have their classroom activities monitored / recorded. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/19 1:01 p.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to RevRico :

Don't you know?

In today's climate, if you find someone with differing views than your own, it's much simpler to shout them down than to consider an alternate point of view.

I have always found that select group of people that when questioned get wrong even louder are the ones that need to be ignored the most.  

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
6/10/19 1:31 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I would be pissed. and I would make sure that the Teachers Boss and there Boss (Principal and Superintendent) know about this matter.  I would file a formal letter with the school outlining exactly what happened.  Just stay neutral over the subject matter and instead focus on what happened and why that was so wrong.  What the teacher did to your son was probably one of the worst things a teacher can do to a young impressionable mind.  Combined with public humiliation.  This goes against what teachers and teaching is all about. The Teacher needs some re training and / or needs to have their classroom activities monitored / recorded. 

Keep in mind that every parent of a disruptive kid has the exact same reaction... and they are legion.    

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/10/19 2:47 p.m.
ShawnG said:

In reply to RevRico :

Don't you know?

so much this. When there are roving groups that their entire purpose is to find "racists" and have them fired from their jobs by making up stories because they disagree with them politically, it's sad. My wife, a teacher, finds it ever difficult to deal with some of her fellow teachers. They no longer listen, they shout down any dissension. They believe whatever the boob tube shouts at them and they question nothing. They're taught this. 

During her last stint to get her masters, the wife had multiple professors that punished dissension. No, not discussed and countered with facts or ideas. No.... they would fail the paper if they did not agree with it. 4 years of this type of behavior will cause patterned responses and a learned behavior. Not a favorable one I might add. 

to the OP, this type of behavior is lauded by the faculty and staff as long as it falls into the correct political spectrum. Sadly. Now, if that same teacher had done this with something on a more, shall we say "conservative" tone, he/she would have been reprimanded and possibly suspended for such behavior. But this topic? Oh no... they're correct and have free speech on their side. 

And to make things worse, you should read the pure propoganda the teachers unions emails/mails out on a continuous basis. Holy crap.... I'm surprised any teacher has critical thinking left at this point. 

/rant

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/11/19 11:03 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

It's important to consider the source. 

Legit scientist with relevant education and solid credentials:  Good source--read to be informed.

Political mouthpiece with an agenda (as they all do):  Dubious source--read for entertainment value only.

"Legit" scientists are certainly capable of not only mistakes but conforming things to align with their expectations (or agenda).  If they are true scientists they will welcome the skepticism. With many scientific things, the phrase "more likely" is better to use than "true".

You forgot about news outlets, where a large number of people get their information. Their motivation will tend to be less nefarious, mostly pandering to sensationalism (e.g. reporting only the worst / best information), but skepticism is very much needed.

Do yourself a favor... question EVERYONE.  I do my best to be suspicious of almost all statements I hear and I STILL get caught sometimes, it can be quite frustrating.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
6/11/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I was trying to convey the idea that Al Gore lacked credibility moreso than trying to assert the veracity of statements made by another more qualified group, but I appreciate your statements.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/11/19 12:07 p.m.

I questioned just about everything when I was young. 

Though I have taught my children the same, I will confess... I’m tired of the drama. Virtually every arena of my life is politically charged (including this site).

I’m worn out on trying. The sea of disagreeableness and shouting from uninformed has made me weary. 

I’m much more excited about dropping out of participation in society and finding a quiet mountaintop somewhere than in trying to fix stupid. 

Wish it wasn’t true. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/11/19 12:11 p.m.

Teaching students to be inquisitive and love learning and knowledge  is the opposite of indoctrination.

Administration should be alerted, and the  teacher should be disciplined.

I have no problem with the material. I have a huge problem with the teacher’s response to your kid’s inquisitiveness. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/19 12:39 p.m.

I considered alerting the administration. But my son asked me not to. And he needs to graduate and not make enemies for another year in a very small school. Unfortunately education in BC is a very one sided, left leaning industry. Actually hard left would be more accurate. I will concentrate on raising inquisitive and questioning kids, and leave toppling the internal power structure to someone else. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/11/19 2:15 p.m.
SVreX said:

I questioned just about everything when I was young. 

Though I have taught my children the same, I will confess... I’m tired of the drama. Virtually every arena of my life is politically charged (including this site).

I’m worn out on trying. The sea of disagreeableness and shouting from uninformed has made me weary. 

I’m much more excited about dropping out of participation in society and finding a quiet mountaintop somewhere than in trying to fix stupid. 

Wish it wasn’t true. 

All of this minus the raising kids part. I was taught to question EVERYTHING as a kid. It's part of the reason I can't follow modern, organized religion. OK, maybe not "can't" but more "won't". It is tiring. It's tiring struggling to find both sides of an idea to see where the middle ground is most likely found. Its tiring listening to people that have no idea what they're shouting about telling you how wrong, stupid and -ist you are [insert the word that fits]. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
6/11/19 3:03 p.m.
TopNoodles said:

In my high school literature class I started getting fed up with the "classic" literature we were required to read and even had a dialogue with the teacher at one point. All I remember is that she didn't condemn me for disliking the classics, she just told me that it was my choice if I wanted to skip them as long as I was content with scoring poorly on tests. I was content with low scores and ended up passing with a B, which I believe was my lowest grade for that semester. To this day I have tremendous respect for her for not changing the rules for my sake, but not expecting me to conform to them.

Today I've rekindled my enjoyment of reading and it's been invaluable as I try to learn skills I've always wanted to have. I even read for entertainment sometimes (but not the classics!).

Teachers are only human and while some seem to be more "human" than others, it's good to know that bad experiences can still be learning experiences for everyone.

Being a teacher is hard.  Very hard.  Things as basic as math and science are questioned and debated, sometimes endlessly. 

Plus they are poorly paid and more and more fall victim to a powerful parent who throws their weight around because Their child failed to earn a grade the parent approved of.  

That’s the whole reason for tenure.  Powerful parents who threaten the career of a dedicated teacher.   

Is It abused?  Absolutely! Nothing is perfect.  But I doubt it’s as abused as teachers are.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0xV2xXpaRUdZLKAJ1GMUrp64Vkw4LTQkskeaM4KwIOZcUyu0fLakuZAAZVtMHcNW