Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/2/08 3:14 p.m.

Gonna have to go listen to Roadrunner now.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/02/diddley.obit/index.html

mtn
mtn Dork
6/2/08 3:42 p.m.

Gonna have to go and dig up the vinyl album I have of his. thats too bad.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
6/2/08 7:33 p.m.

Saw him play with Van Morrison and James Brown at the Point Theatre in Dublin back in the 90's - pretty good show with Bo and Van jamming at the end. Oh well, I'll be out later tonite drowning a beer to my hitting the big three-five today, guess I'll raise one to Bo too.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/3/08 9:52 p.m.

HEEEEEYYYYY BO DIDDDDDLEY!!!!

too bad..

mtn
mtn Dork
6/3/08 10:10 p.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: Saw him play with Van Morrison and James Brown at the Point Theatre in Dublin back in the 90's - pretty good show with Bo and Van jamming at the end. Oh well, I'll be out later tonite drowning a beer to my hitting the big three-five today, guess I'll raise one to Bo too.

I am truly jealous of you.

Duke
Duke Dork
6/4/08 6:04 a.m.

"Got that good time music with the Bo Diddley Beat..."

Truly one of the pioneers of rock'n'roll - I always loved the big square guitars he played. RIP, Mr. Diddley. We owe you.

Bomp biddy bompy domp - bompy domp domp

Jack
Jack SuperDork
6/4/08 9:32 a.m.

Thread shift - Yes but also, I guess this group is too young to memorialize the passing of Harvey Korman a few days ago. . . . . Comedic genious.

Jack

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/4/08 9:35 a.m.

Duke, the big square guitars were Gretsches (usually). You can buy a brand-new one, and they're pretty sweet.

Jack, yes, Harvey Korman was a comedic genius, but Bo was the man. When you've got everyone from Buddy Holly to the Jesus & Mary Chain singing your praises, you're officially, eternally Cool.

Duke
Duke Dork
6/4/08 11:31 a.m.

Not to mention The Animals, and George Thorogood.

Tim, I thought he mostly played Gretsches, but I didn't want to embarrass myself by stating it without looking at some of my old albums.

mtn
mtn Dork
6/4/08 11:50 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Duke, the big square guitars were Gretsches (usually). You can buy a brand-new one, and they're pretty sweet.

I believe it was from the old board that I got this quote: Gretsch+Bigsby=Guitarp0rn

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/4/08 12:00 p.m.

Yup, always Gretsch, except in the late 70s and 80s when Gretsch was imploding/dormant. I thought it was pretty cool that they came out with new reissue models just for him.

And MTN, absolutely true. From that thread (http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=32750) you can a few of mine. Only one Bigsby, though :

triumph7
triumph7 New Reader
6/4/08 12:57 p.m.
Jack wrote: Thread shift - Yes but also, I guess this group is too young to memorialize the passing of Harvey Korman a few days ago. . . . . Comedic genious. Jack

Nope, I just went home that day and watched Blazing Saddles, again.

"You will only be risking your lives, while I will be risking an almost certain nomination for Best Supporting Actor.... "

SupraWes
SupraWes HalfDork
6/4/08 4:34 p.m.

Very sad, he was a local here in Gainesville and would show up and play at all kinds of places around here through the years. :cry

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sU6jN7yr4XtHwJrf49MauzjbZOqvgedc0rWxXh8h3UIh1EpaIuozondoZ8IVNcod