1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/19/15 9:49 p.m.

Discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sGbxmsDFVnE

(And video embed added to original post.)

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/19/15 9:52 p.m.

Can't talk. Still coming down from nerdgasm.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/15 9:55 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Can't talk. Still coming down from nerdgasm.

You ain't wrapped right.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/15 10:00 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

I don't suppose you have a link?

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
10/19/15 10:04 p.m.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

-Morbid.

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
10/19/15 10:08 p.m.

Now that I'm logged in as me, I second Tom.

So much freaking awesome. There were tears. Tears.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
10/20/15 8:31 a.m.

~2.5 minutes of awesome.

neon4891
neon4891 MegaDork
10/20/15 8:52 a.m.

Wife told me not to cry. I didn't listen to her.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/20/15 9:12 a.m.

Anyone missing Jar Jar? Anyone?

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta New Reader
10/20/15 9:18 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Anyone missing Jar Jar? Anyone?

Meesa not missing Jar Jar, but I am missing Luke. He's not on the poster and he's not in the trailer (unless that's his mechanical hand). Any theories?

My guess is Luke is going to show up at the very end of Ep VII. He'll be living by himself, Jedi-style ("fully hermitizing" as the Beastie Boys would say), and the new Jedi-to-be will go (or be sent) to seek him out...and then we'll have to wait another 2-3 years to see what happens next.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
10/20/15 9:23 a.m.

In reply to bluebarchetta:

Agreed on Luke living like Obi-Wan in Epi. 4 out in the wasteland somewhere.

I think the trailer linked to in this thread has more emotion and quality than Epi. 1 thru 3 combined. George Lucas should be ashamed of himself but instead he's rich.

David S. Wallens
10/20/15 9:27 a.m.

I'm assuming the mechanical hand is Luke's.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/20/15 9:29 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I think the trailer linked to in this thread has more emotion and quality than Epi. 1 thru 3 combined. George Lucas should be ashamed of himself but instead he's rich.

The problem with complaining about 1-3 is that 4 would have turned out that mechanical had it not been for the humans that made it. Most of them pointed out that the words in the original script would not have been said in that manner. But with his power, and the new people in 1-3- that's how it came out.

Lucas is a visionary in terms of a story line, and science fiction, and some really cool visuals. But he's not a script writer.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/20/15 9:47 a.m.

So according to the trailer, the guy pictured to the left of the woman in the picture of the trailer was a stormtrooper.

But he's very much not the person they were cloning.

So was there a genetic fault in the clone, are they cloning more than one person, or does the clone sometimes show genetic traits that are not normally there.

And are any of those reasons why he stepped out of the body suit?

And that's one small question.

David S. Wallens
10/20/15 9:53 a.m.

According to Wookieepedia:

Clone stormtroopers were the original elite soldiers of the Galactic Empire. After the fall of the Galactic Republic and the formation of Emperor Palpatine's New Order, the Republic Grand Army's clone troopers were re-designated as stormtroopers. Throughout the early years of Palpatine's reign, the Empire continued to utilize the Jango Fett template, but later commissioned the creation of new troopers from different genetic sources. Cloning remained essential to the Imperial Military, although the introduction of birth-born recruits into the ranks of the Stormtrooper Corps gradually reduced clone soldiers to a minority status.

Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_stormtrooper

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/20/15 10:01 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

I'm curious who wrote all of those stories.

That's a tremendous amount of depth that is not in the movies.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/20/15 10:02 a.m.

I have seen only two Star Wars movies--Episode I and Episode IV. I'm guessing that I should watch V-VI, and skip II-III before this?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/15 10:03 a.m.

Watch 5, 2, 3, then 6. Machete viewing order (since you've already seen 4).

David S. Wallens
10/20/15 10:05 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: I'm curious who wrote all of those stories.

Nerds.

I kid, I kid. That site does have many answers, though--and, yes, a ton of depth.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
10/20/15 10:15 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: According to Wookieepedia: ... reduced clone soldiers to a minority status.

I see what you did there...

David S. Wallens
10/20/15 10:18 a.m.

By the way, notice the new Death Star in the movie poster? I don't see Luke, though, so more questions remain.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
10/20/15 10:41 a.m.

Something that has been bothering me for a couple years is that most movies seem to be getting ruined by their trailers. I watched every single trailer for Avengers: Age of Ultron and was super pumped, only to be disappointed in the theater.

I decided to change that from the second I saw the first teaser for Episode VII. All I know is there's a black stormtrooper, R2D2 is now somehow a little orange rolly-ball, and there is a 3-bladed lightsaber. I can't wait to be blown away in the theater, for better or worse.

/Getoffmylawn

David S. Wallens
10/20/15 10:59 a.m.

Interesting that the "new R2-D2" (BB-8) might well be based on Ralph McQuarrie's original design for R2-D2:

Read here: http://www.swiftfilm.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-soccer-ball-droid-may-have-been-inspired-by-ralph-mcquarries-original-r2-d2-design/

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
10/20/15 11:11 a.m.

Yes, Stormtroopers are no longer made up of clones, the clones died out/left the empire before IV takes place. The 'new' troops are made up of slaves and volunteers willing to die for the empire/first order while looking cool in white plastic armor.

BB-8 (the round rolly ball with a head) is it's own droid, we've seen R2 a fair amount as well.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
10/20/15 11:12 a.m.

Crap, that's Morbid, not Jed. Posting here was so much easier when we weren't sharing a computer.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9vj7CLyhIgBNucaHizZhKzBHPIh0eeDKWirwJ0TVaOXqpLAAoY0oVKyc9WKZPSfU