DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
9/2/08 9:50 a.m.

Well, I'm screwed! I just got off the phone with the unemployment folks. Because I'm getting a severance package I am 100% NOT eligible for unemployment for the 10 weeks that my severance is spread out for. So, what does this mean. ##&@& Michigan expects me to live off my severance pay for 10 weeks! How much is my severance pay???? 1/10 of my weekly pay, each week!!! The state of Michigan doesn't care of my severance is a million dollars or a dollar, I am not eligible for unemployment! I have 3 little kids and a wife to take care of. We are selling every damn thing we have that we don't need (anyone want a 1974 RHD mini?) to pay the bills and we WILL end up loosing our house before that 10 weeks us up. What the $#& do they expect us to do? Granhoe can't keep the economy out of the toilet and wonders why so many are fleeing the state!?!? Well, after I loose my house I'm outta here!

Sorry folks, I'm just in total despare and at a total loss of what to do. It looks like I can't get any assistance (i.e. food stamp and the like) because I have too many cars. But they are all up for sale, what the heck do I do right now???

WilD
WilD Reader
9/2/08 9:55 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: We are selling every damn thing we have that we don't need (anyone want a 1974 RHD mini?)

Hey man, your Mini isn't orange with black stripes is it? If so, I almost called you yesterday. Sorry about your troubles. I can't believe you don't get unemployment if you get severance. that is total BS in my oppinion.

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
9/2/08 10:04 a.m.

No, it's red and white, just like the one on Italian Job.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/08 10:09 a.m.

Boost and I cruised Woodward next to each other in 2002 or 2003 IIRC.

Nice mini by the way ;)

Also Boost, from what I understand there are more than a few openings coming in Lansing immediately.

I can't access the sites because of "Worksense" but they ARE out here. The State of Michigan is sponsoring one site for manufacturing jobs as well.

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
9/2/08 11:05 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Boost and I cruised Woodward next to each other in 2002 or 2003 IIRC. Nice mini by the way ;) Also Boost, from what I understand there are more than a few openings coming in Lansing immediately. I can't access the sites because of "Worksense" but they ARE out here. The State of Michigan is sponsoring one site for manufacturing jobs as well.

Yeah John, I think that was 2002??? Thanks for the heads-up and the compliment on the mini. I hate to sell it but I gotta try to keep a roof over my head.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
9/2/08 11:32 a.m.

Do NOT accept the answer of some drone on the phone.

I would start by looking up and reading the law on the subject because it is very possible that said drone doesn't know the law well at all. There may well be a way around the stupidity of this decision. Then I would get my arse to unemployment and find out if there is some way to appeal this decision.

This sounds like your (former) employer is playing fast and loose with the rules and that you need to know the rules better to play the game. I do know that when I was laid off this past spring (NY) and received accumulated vacation pay it did not affect my unemployement eligibility. IIRC, when you make your weekly unemployment claim, you have to declare your income for the week (the whole series of questions about if you worked that week) and that effects your net up to the maximum benefit allowed.

If all else fails, now is the time to reach out to your state representative in Congress.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/2/08 1:29 p.m.
wreckerboy wrote: If all else fails, now is the time to reach out to your state representative in Congress.

or your local "Channel X on your side" reporter. amazing what a bad news story will do for a company's attitude about what they should do in these types of situations

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
9/2/08 3:13 p.m.

In Virginia, they laid off all of the workers at Unemployment centers. Call in or the internet only now... Good luck, I was unemployed for some time this winter/spring. Still getting my feet back under me, may stil be selling a Miata off. Otherwise, I'd offer to buy your RHD Mini.

mtn
mtn Dork
9/2/08 4:19 p.m.

Its stories like these that make me pray I can make it in my major (Actuarial Science)--0% unemployment for non-foreigners.

If I wasn't a broke college student I would be very interested in the mini.

Just gonna throw this out there, but have you ever thought of caddying? It sounds juvenile and below you, and it probably is. But at this time of year, you have a good 2.5 months left of good money, because the college kids (like me) have all gone back. The average takeaway for 1 week in September-October is about $900 at the course I caddy at. I was back for Labor day weekend, and made $400. Without working on Saturday. Not to mention the connections made.

Type Q
Type Q Reader
9/2/08 6:14 p.m.

Going back to Boost's original post, it sounds like your former employer is playing a game. When I left in '96, Michigan had an "Experience Rated" unemployement insurance. This is fancy term that means for an employer the more your ex-employees draw unemployment benefits the more you have to pay into the system. Your "Severance Package" sounds like a way to keep their experience rating and subsequent costs down.

If that is what they are doing, its an intersting way to keep some incremental costs down. Of course in the process, it completely subverts the entire reason that unemployment insurance was created in the first place. (and it seems more than a little slimey and mean spirited)

Is anyone else running into this in MI?

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
9/2/08 8:04 p.m.

TypeQ, I am 100% convinced that this is what they are doing. It is indeed slimey and it's hurting folks like me who worked under contract most of the time I was there and have little kids to support. MTN, interesting thought. I hadn't thought of that. I was a caddy for my first job and the money is good.

Strizzo, that is exactly what I want to do but my exit contract says I cannot discuss my severence or the terms of my exit with anyone (oops, I guess I broke the law here but I didn't give the company name). I wonder if they would be willing to do a story and keep my incognito??

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
9/2/08 8:51 p.m.

You could always deliver pizzas. Minimum wage, unlike waiting tables, plus tips. I often average 15 an hour, and sometimes hit as high as 22 an hour, combining pay and tips.

Joey

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
9/2/08 8:54 p.m.

Absolutely. Kick it over to any of the local TV stations.

You could always refuse the severance package.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/2/08 10:10 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Strizzo, that is exactly what I want to do but my exit contract says I cannot discuss my severence or the terms of my exit with anyone (oops, I guess I broke the law here but I didn't give the company name). I wonder if they would be willing to do a story and keep my incognito??

well there you go, breach the exit contract, give them back their week's pay over 10 weeks, let the news rake them over the coals, go on unemployment till you find a new job.

win/win/win

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/08 10:28 p.m.

you won't lose your house in 10 weeks. get on the phone with the bank and let them know what's going on. they'll work with you. believe me, no bank wants another house....

TRW has a plant in Fenton. did you try there?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/4/08 1:45 a.m.
wreckerboy wrote: Do NOT accept the answer of some drone on the phone.

Absolutely. My wife usd to answer the phone at unemployment in NY. Most of the people their really didn't know what was going on. If you don't like an answer or it doesn't seem right, at the very least ask to varify it with a supervisor.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
9/4/08 7:16 a.m.

It would seem logical that you should receive in total what you would receive as unemployment compensation. That is the severance+ partial compensation= total. It that clear. Otherwise I say deny it or violate their hush hush policy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W32N6MIRqkDiczlMuyGJOqLxtxpItYrNmOWQKvqxVZ4LT6ZSHZSCTToEvl2ZbcVX