Sultan
Sultan Reader
2/17/12 10:35 p.m.

Just found out that I am going on a business trip next month to Charlotte. I know it is NASCAR central. In fact I will be going on a tour of NASCAR Productions.

So I only have a day to see what I can see. So what is the best two or three things to see while I am there is the question!

Thanks. RS

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle Reader
2/18/12 1:17 a.m.

Nascar dominates the area. There is a cool car museum near the track and you could go to Whiskey River aka Dale Jr's bar.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
2/18/12 7:22 a.m.

NASCAR Hall of Fame is interesting, even if you're not a rabid fan. Visit one of the big race shops. We did Waltrip's and Gibbs' shops. It's neat to watch the work go on. Waltrip's is better to actually see up close. Gibbs' is just impressive in it's size and cleanliness.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
2/18/12 7:46 a.m.

I'd say check out the various NASCAR stuff. It will give you a deeper appreciation for the history of the sport, and you are unlikely to find more NASCAR history in a single place elsewhere.

Charlotte has a huge car community but honestly I can't really remember any specific events that can just be visited other than the NASCAR stuff, or zmax I suppose. But if you've been to four lane drag strips before then it's nothing special.

RAZINGNUT
RAZINGNUT New Reader
2/18/12 11:02 a.m.

Go north on I-85, take the exit for US 52 north to Winston-Salem. Then take exit for Welcome, NC and go west. RCR shops and RCR museum on the left about 3-4 miles down.

corytate
corytate HalfDork
2/18/12 4:53 p.m.

go to The Pit indoor karting in mooresville (about half an hour from charlotte depending on where in charlotte you go) and do a few races so we can compare lap times lol.
Best I ran in the two times I've been there has been a low 46 second.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc HalfDork
2/18/12 6:37 p.m.

Buy a car or two. Great deals to be had.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
2/19/12 10:06 a.m.
ThePhranc wrote: Buy a car or two. Great deals to be had.

love that idea and the drive back to Seattle would be awesome.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/19/12 10:17 a.m.

Yeah, not much rust there.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
2/19/12 10:22 a.m.

That's all very true. I bought a civic in DC. Thing had zero rust. I don't mean "new england zero rust" which translates to only one 4" diameter rust hole on a structural member, I mean zero rust.

I drove it up to Maine, it sat outside for a single winter, never driven in the snow... surface rust all over the underside, exhaust, and control arms.

Gotta love it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
2/19/12 10:47 a.m.

I bought a rust free Astro in North Carolina. My next used car will come from that part of the country now that I know.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/19/12 4:44 p.m.

Go to the local pick-n-pull and waste some time

http://www.u-pull-it-junkyard.com/carolina-salvage/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BeiuakpRbKckA5qUYPTDaMrAD6rGZjdHzHyViNuHhmwZCDSl7fSYRdKhL05ocu1Y