1 2
1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/30/23 12:12 p.m.

Intended use:  Daily driver

Model year range:  2005-present

Pros:  Styling, size

Cons:  Chrysler lack of reliability, thirsty

Any major mechanical issues?  Any years to avoid?

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
10/30/23 12:23 p.m.

Which drivetrain?

It makes a huge difference in the answer(s).

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/30/23 12:33 p.m.

Probably leaning v6, but is the v8 with cylinder deactivation nearly as efficient?

I'd probably consider any and all, depending on the particular example.  Heavily favor the 2011-up for general new-ness.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
10/30/23 12:57 p.m.

It's as big as a whale.....I think....

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/30/23 1:01 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

It's as big as a whale.....I think...

Yeah, but it seats about 20...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/30/23 1:09 p.m.

We had a 300s rental car the other week. It was quite solid. One of the better rental car driving experiences I've had. Can't speak to the reliability.

Didn't really measure, but the fuel economy ended up being better than I expected from something that big. >20 in mixed driving.

Had a couple of really nit-picky critiques

• The ride was surprisingly harsh for such a large car. Probably a case of too tall/heavy wheel and too short tire.
  • Transmission was a bit awkward from a dead stop. Couldn't feel how much throttle it would take before the car would start moving. This could have been a problem of rental car trying to learn drivers' habits.
  • I didn't like the dial gear selector. That's just weird.
  • Infotainment didn't pair with my phone (Android) as well as the head unit in ou '18 Caravan. Only brought up Android Auto if plugged into USB, not via bluetooth.
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
10/30/23 1:19 p.m.

Nothing but "con" from me.

• 20 year old chassis
  • I have heard - no first hand experience - that they eat front end parts and front end parts are either unavailable or cost a million bucks
  • Around here they are either all rental fleets or ratted out 5 owner examples
  • You will look like a drug dealer and not a very successful one.
  • I have had a few as rental cars and really didn't like them.  Poor sight lines, super dated and shockingly small feeling interior, bad performance for how thirsty they are.

That being said if I found an SRT8 300 that was not totally ragged out, I would consider getting it and ragging it out myself.  

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Dork
10/30/23 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Has anyone got their jukebox money tho?

I can only comment on the earlier 3.5L engine that it will be worth double checking on timing belt health as they *should* still be interference engines so a snapped belt due to a lack of maintenance turns it into driveway artwork really quick. Other than that, I don't see as many of the earlier styles in the junkyards locally, very rarely see the newer redesigns at all.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/30/23 1:28 p.m.

They don't age well.  Being a Alfa tech I get stick with other stellantis crap and the interior always seems to fall apart on them.  The 3.6 isn't a terrible engine, just not particularly good at anything  (power, fuel mileage,  etc), the 5.7 and 6.4 cars are all ruined by the burnout kids.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/30/23 1:54 p.m.

Don't forget that apparently 2.7 V6 300's were built for some time.  I don't understand why this happened but it did and I would avoid that.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/30/23 1:57 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
Datsun240ZGuy said:

It's as big as a whale.....I think...

Yeah, but it seats about 20...

I was so disappointed when I realized that line wasn't "...and it's a 440!"

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
10/30/23 2:15 p.m.

Not sure if it was called a 300 , but I do like the station wagon ones....

nice style and not the Drug dealer vibe

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
10/30/23 2:58 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

That's the Magnum, same thing basically

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/30/23 3:02 p.m.

For us, the 300 works well.  I'm on my second 300.  The first, a 2016, was totalled in a wreck with trees that left my wife with little more than a seatbelt bruise.  We replaced it with a 2021, also with the V6.

I'm not sure what "thirsty" means in previous posts.  We get 30+ MPG at 75 with the AC on, on our frequent 420-mile round trips with over 2000' of elevation change.  It is a little better on flatter trips.  I don't consider that particularly bad for a full-size sedan.

It is not a track car.  It is competent on the highway with very good passing capability.  

We needed a car that can carry a knock-down mobility scooter and moderate luggage in the trunk, and can seat four adults for a couple of hours at a time.  The 300 does that as well as anything I've owned.

The '16 had one issue with the interior:  The door lining tended to curl and uh-adhere after some Texas summers.  The '21 hasn't shown any sign of that yet.  

The '21 has the taller rims, and a slightly harsher ride because of it.  I don't have a problem with seeing out, at least not compared to other modern cars. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
10/30/23 3:29 p.m.
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm not sure what "thirsty" means in previous posts.  We get 30+ MPG at 75 with the AC on, on our frequent 420-mile round trips with over 2000' of elevation change.  It is a little better on flatter trips.  I don't consider that particularly bad for a full-size sedan.

Fuelly says one can expect closer to 20 MPG in mixed driving and that is closer to my experience.  I think I got around 18 MPG on a few rentals but I drive them like an shiny happy person because...rental car.  

https://www.fuelly.com/car/chrysler/300 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/30/23 5:51 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks for your actual review.  It was refreshing after hearing the wisecracks from the people who drive Miatas and think of the BMW 5-series as a "large" car.  cheeky

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
10/30/23 11:19 p.m.

Pro- it's not a hideous looking charger.

Most of every issue on this platform comes down to that Chrysler financed everyone with a pulse. 90% didn't even deserve an Altima. 

Edit- I worked on them from 07-09 or so.... 3.5's ate rocker arm shafts which is not a hard repair. 2.7's enough said. 5.7's we're not awful. I did do one 5.7 engine replacement on a car that didn't deserve it and had the replacement engine lock up on the initial test drive. Never really had big issues with the nag1/722.8 transmission. Electrical connector above the pan would leak always.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/31/23 9:01 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

Pro- it's not a hideous looking charger.

Exactly.  But I should mention that both the Challenger and Charger are likely to be considered also.  I've always felt that the 300 had a formal, sophisticated, almost Bentley-esque thing going for it that sedans in that price range simply don't have.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/31/23 10:13 a.m.

Every time you guys make Altima memes, I apply 300/Charger, and it works better around here.

Too many German control arms, but a reasonably sturdy car.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/31/23 11:15 a.m.

Don't forget your vape pen, flat brim and white sunglasses.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/31/23 11:35 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Don't forget your vape pen, flat brim and white sunglasses.

It like a slightly less off-putting subaru lol

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/31/23 12:26 p.m.

I happen to like the 300's current looks, minus the dark wheels.  The "formal" roof line does give it more headroom for passengers in the back seat than the Charger.  The trunk is reasonable for my uses, although longer objects (popup shades, some guncases, etc) can take a little planning to load around other objects.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/31/23 12:48 p.m.

If your budget allows, get one with the ZF 8 speed.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
10/31/23 6:37 p.m.

A few years back I got one as a rental, because I really liked the car and wanted to see if I could love it enough to own it.  A weekend with that thing put me off them forever. IMHO an abysmal, uncomfortable car.  Obviously others have had better experiences.  It was bad enough for me that I had a "No 300s" note put in my Enterprise profile (I traveled a lot at the time)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/31/23 7:50 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Do you recall specifically any of the things you didn't like about the car?  Uncomfortable ride?  Seats?  Ergonomics?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dWMSMlQKi5wEylRu6nNGGUUuT8uCSBsk34YNVa9b8EKJAFdbFYnJ5MAmpCF7ce8R