stroker
stroker PowerDork
12/30/23 9:13 p.m.

Just curious.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/30/23 9:19 p.m.

If you haven't read it already you might as well start with the OG, The Difference Engine by William Gibson & Bruce Sterling.

...that's all I got, I'm not much of a steampunk fan but I'd like to read that one. Probably the only steampunk book I've had recommended to me.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
12/30/23 11:00 p.m.

I've been following this one online for years now:

www.girlgeniusonline.com

Musically, a huge fan of Dr. Steel

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/31/23 7:11 a.m.

Earlier this year I read Perdido St Station by China Mieville, which had quite a few steampunk themes. The book was shockingly good - I mean, really excellent. It's not normally a genre I'd read but I almost couldn't put it down. It's well worth a read. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/31/23 8:17 a.m.

Basically anything by Paulo bacigalupi. I read Windup Girl and Pump Six and Other Stories. Both enjoyable. 

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
12/31/23 9:08 a.m.

Classic steam punk: The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. If you're interested in something a bit lighter: the Soulless series by Gail Carriger.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/31/23 9:30 a.m.

20,000 leagues under the sea.

Around the world in 80 days.

The Mysterious Island.

GameboyRMH
12/31/23 4:34 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

20,000 Leagues is pretty good and a bit steampunk before that was a thing, Around the World in 80 Days was also fun but I'd say not steampunk at all, more of a period-correct work of fiction. Haven't read The Mysterious Island.

GameboyRMH
12/31/23 4:52 p.m.

The mention of 20,000 Leagues got me thinking on other books that could qualify as accidental proto-steampunk, and another one might be The Time Machine by HG Wells. Super-soft sci-fi, the time machine is basically just magic, but it's still a pretty good sci-fi book starring a Victorian-era character written by an actual Victorian man so if you're looking for steampunk it should be right up your alley. 1960 and 2002 movie adaptations are both pretty good too.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
12/31/23 4:56 p.m.

The Mysterious Island is pretty much a sequel to 20,000 leagues. 

It explains where Nemo and the Nautilus came from.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/1/24 1:35 p.m.
ShawnG said:

The Mysterious Island is pretty much a sequel to 20,000 leagues. 

It explains where Nemo and the Nautilus came from.

Although isn't it not clear it's a sequel until quite a ways through? I seem to recall that it's not until well past the middle where it starts to make connections to 20000 Leagues

Sparkydog
Sparkydog HalfDork
1/2/24 10:53 a.m.

The Free-Wrench Series by Joseph R. Lallo

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bz1iFdtV3eHZCb0J4OWypTBpJRxdbObFzPua6lTJ7A3nz3cIHCc2nFk66BLmW2Zb