Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
4/20/24 5:54 p.m.

As the title says, anyone ever install a whole house reverse osmosis system themselves? 
The new house needs one (I knew that going in) because of salt in the well. There are currently at least 3 water treatment systems installed from someone trying to band aid the problem. I can buy the system and have it delivered, my thinking is remove everything that's currently there and just start fresh, but figured someone here might be a water expert with some ideas. 

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
4/20/24 6:46 p.m.

Do you want RO on demand? or can you store filtered water and use a smaller capacity RO?

A stored water system might also satisfy fire water storage requirements if needed?

Doesn't RO take too much out of the water and make it aggressive?

May require conditioning after filtering?

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
4/20/24 6:56 p.m.

I -have- a whole house R/O system that was installed badly by the previous owner. I'm only familiar with repairing it as necessary.

I think Bearmtnmartin may have some information.

For what it's worth, our system goes: Well - pressure tank - sediment filter (p/o had plumbed it backward) - iron filter - three stage filter - dual R/O system plumbed in series - water tank.

I like to think all the pre-filtration keeps my R/O membrane alive longer.

There is a disconnected U/V sterlizer too but it's clearly been broken for a long time and I don't have any intention of bringing it online again.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
4/20/24 9:17 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

It needs to be whole house as it's damaging appliances, faucets, etc. There will be a 500 gallon storage tank. From what I understand the conditioning is done before RO system. I have 3 quotes from $19k to $27k. The lower one is re using some of the current stuff, the higher one is not. I started thinking if they are removing everything and starting from scratch, can't I just do the same? I'll know it's done right, in the spot I wanted, and looks like about $9k in equipment. I'm not moving in for a few months, so not necessary to rush to install in a day. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
4/20/24 9:19 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

That's the correct order, I'd install the sterilizer because it's included. I'm leaning towards it so I'd understand it better vs just knowing what an installer told me. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JujyuhyuFuX47Sw2hYBonwqYqHqFDCf4RxqYs0k7rEWNT2NMla7d8bqxH8r11pcU