mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/26/17 1:04 p.m.

I recently bought a sailboat--a 1965 (estimated) Starcraft Skylark. Came with a trailer for $400; the sail, boat, and trailer are all in decent condition.

My problem is launching it. The thing is damn heavy--they really went overboard with the fiberglass on this thing (No, it is not water-logged). It takes 3 of us to pick it up, which is necessary since dads beach has a large rock pile between the sand and the grass. I'm thinking of fabbing up a ramp with a winch on it--the idea would be that we pull the boat up the sand by hand (doable by one person), then pick up the front and get it set on the ramp, hook the winch up, and crank it up.

Anyone done anything like that? I was thinking just a simple ladder with 2x4's on the bottom (perpendicular to the boat), and 2x8's on the top. Maybe a few rollers, but likely I'll just have it on the wood.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/17 1:17 p.m.

considering it displaces 260pounds of water.. it IS a heavy boat for it's 15' size. Technically it is a catamaran, so you can see where all the extra weight comes from in the double hull (tunnel) design.

As for your "ramp" I would be tempted to build it more like a dock, just tilted down to the beach for easy access. Can always claim it for "handicap access" if you need to pull permits

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/26/17 1:25 p.m.

I am interested in this as I want to get a small sailboat and launch it over/off a bulkhead wall in my backyard.

Do you envision getting the boat over the rocks or having it sit on the rocks?

Something like this?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/26/17 2:17 p.m.

I'd add some trailer rollers so the boat moves more easily. I'm picturing it more like a very long, stationary boat trailer. With low roller friction you may not even need a winch (depending on angle) as the boat just glides up and out of the water.

Down south you'll see a lot of boat lifts to keep hulls out of the water (prevents marine growth) but they are spendy to put in.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/17 2:27 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I'd add some trailer rollers so the boat moves more easily. I'm picturing it more like a very long, stationary boat trailer. With low roller friction you may not even need a winch (depending on angle) as the boat just glides up and out of the water. Down south you'll see a lot of boat lifts to keep hulls out of the water (prevents marine growth) but they are spendy to put in.

depending on the weight of the boat, it's nothing some I-beams, a pivot point, and an electric winch can't handle. It all depends on your welding abilities

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/26/17 2:52 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: I'd add some trailer rollers so the boat moves more easily. I'm picturing it more like a very long, stationary boat trailer. With low roller friction you may not even need a winch (depending on angle) as the boat just glides up and out of the water. Down south you'll see a lot of boat lifts to keep hulls out of the water (prevents marine growth) but they are spendy to put in.
depending on the weight of the boat, it's nothing some I-beams, a pivot point, and an electric winch can't handle. It all depends on your welding abilities

No welding will be involved. We have a LOT of free wood. No free metal.

But no reason for the rollers. Once we anchor the trailer, we're able to pull the boat up with the hand winch. The problem is getting the boat to the trailer.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/26/17 2:53 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I am interested in this as I want to get a small sailboat and launch it over/off a bulkhead wall in my backyard. Do you envision getting the boat over the rocks or having it sit on the rocks? Something like this?

Probably just having the boat sit on the ramp, sitting on the rocks. It'd be anchored somehow.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/17 3:18 p.m.

They are pretty common on the lakes. They usually have a carriage with rollers the boat sits on rather than dragging it up the wood.

For your use, a set of carpeted rails would work pretty well also but I would want rollers for sliding it back down to the beach.

Edit: Check with your local authorities about putting one in. Around here they frown about any type of structure touching the beach.

And do your search for a boat rail system, or boat elevator.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
7/26/17 3:30 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I am interested in this as I want to get a small sailboat and launch it over/off a bulkhead wall in my backyard. Do you envision getting the boat over the rocks or having it sit on the rocks? Something like this?

I have an extra Hobie 16 with trailer I'd sell cheap... and I know where you live (sort of).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vxcfVsROp8f8yxWPnE8sl4JMm08PbjPCQb2cVKyin4vGDUbnvUUcyPmzCttWFe5u