1 2 3
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
9/19/24 12:23 p.m.

KROQ  , our local "Rock of the 80s" station  had these billboards around town decades ago when "New Wave" was happening, also bumper stickers :)

I guess other stations did that too , pic from google

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
9/19/24 12:34 p.m.
Duke said:

What genres are you interested in?

I'm pretty broad - classic/blues rock, funk, soul, trip hop. I also love artists like Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, and Jeff Buckley. I'm learning bass now, so stuff with good bass or rhythm sections are winners especially if more funky (e.g. Vulfpeck).

Newer artists who've gotten me the most excited: Laufey, Vulfpeck, Anderson .Paak/Silk Sonic, Fantastic Negrito, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Kendrick Lamar.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/19/24 12:36 p.m.

Here - released 2 days ago.  I'm the 899th viewer as of this writing.  Let's give it a try together:

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
9/19/24 12:43 p.m.

In a word, No.

And the reason I can be so sure of that is, in the 90's, when a number of my coworkers were getting excited about the upcoming Bob Seger concert I wondered, why are adults listening to Bob Seger? That's music for kids and teenagers. Ditto for everything else I listened to in the 70's.

My tastes have evolved over the years, and I don't think I regularly listen to anything I did more than about 20 years ago

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/19/24 1:03 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

There are entire decades of popular music that I have absolutely zero knowledge of and zero interest in.

That's a very real shame, in my opinion.

Beer Baron 🍺 said:

I'm pretty broad - classic/blues rock, funk, soul, trip hop. I also love artists like Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, and Jeff Buckley. I'm learning bass now, so stuff with good bass or rhythm sections are winners especially if more funky (e.g. Vulfpeck).

Newer artists who've gotten me the most excited: Laufey, Vulfpeck, Anderson .Paak/Silk Sonic, Fantastic Negrito, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Kendrick Lamar.

I'm definitely going to check out some of those new artists you mention.  I like Vulfpeck and KGLW.  Not a Kendrick Lamar fan - although I love instrumental hiphop and triphop, I'm really not a rap fan.

Classic / blues rock: GA-20

Funk:  Chris Joss one of my all-time faves, particularly for bass / drum interaction (he's a one-man band and plays all the instruments)

Triphop: Probably Nightmares On Wax or Hugo Kant as single artists.  Honestly, this is a great genre to use aggregators for.  Try playlists from Seven Beats Music, Confused Bi-product Of A Misinformed Culture, S!X Music, or The Mix Curator.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/19/24 1:45 p.m.
Duke said:
1988RedT2 said:

There are entire decades of popular music that I have absolutely zero knowledge of and zero interest in.

Why?  I am similar -- IMHO the best year in music was 1987, when I was 15.  There's popular music stretching into the late 90s that I like, but with one or two exceptions it stops around 2005 or so.  Since then, new music that I like has been either bands from the 80s/90s who are still releasing new albums, or a small number of bands who are intentionally releasing "retro" music in the style of earlier eras.

And that's fine.  There's plenty of music that I like, my "liked songs" list on Spotify has a couple thousand entries on it, enough that I could listen to music non-stop for a week and never have to repeat one.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/19/24 1:56 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Duke said:
1988RedT2 said:

Why?

Because there is a huge quantity of interesting music that you could love but will never hear, because you don't listen for it.

Because there are a huge number of talented but unknown artists who could use the encouragement of knowing someone hears them.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/19/24 2:17 p.m.

As I've gotten older, my tastes in music have actually broadened. There's a lot of great music out there if you open your ears and go beyond what hits pop culture.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/24 2:32 p.m.

Yep, just my high school years 1970-1974 with music by old or dead musicians. Fusion Jazz and Progressive Rock (British Super Bands plus the token American Santana.) smiley

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
9/19/24 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Laufey is basically contemporary version of mid-century-modern music (Sinatra, Crosby, Ertha Kitt, etc.) Listening to her stuff gives me hope for the music that the upcoming generation is going to make. I think they're listening to music from all eras, finding whatever happens to speak to them, and going with that.

Anderson .Paak is a Hip-Hop artist, but he's a drummer and is partial to using a live band for his backing. Silk Sonic is a funk project he did with Bruno Mars.

Fantastic Negrito is like... a guy who grew up listening to Hip Hop and decided to become a blues rock guitarist.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/24 2:45 p.m.

When I was younger, my parents introduced me to a little bit of everything. I loved Lawrence Welk and the big band sounds. I loved Hee Haw and country/hillbilly music. I loved cartoons and the classical music they played. My high school years were Van Halen, Kiss, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Southern rock. 

At 57, I don't think there is a genre I don't listen to. Rap, rock, blues, hip hop, country, big band, metal, pretty much you name it. I even like some of Taylor Swift's stuff. I'll leave you with some K-Pop. 

Today was mostly Willy Nelson and the like. 

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
9/19/24 2:46 p.m.

I still listen to the same type, and quite often the same material. Always happy to hear Master of Puppets again.

But last decade or so I'm trying to broaden my interests. Newer music of the same genre, 80s stuff I didn't appreciate back then (some, not all). And trying new horizons, YouTube Music has helped me find some interesting stuff.

Lately been on a kick to find more industrial techno synth metal. 3Teeth is my current favorite.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/19/24 2:58 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

As I've gotten older, my tastes in music have actually broadened. There's a lot of great music out there if you open your ears and go beyond what hits pop culture.

I know for me, it's kind of like a lot of content.........analysis paralysis. There is SO MUCH new content coming out all the time. Music, TV Shows, movies, documentaries, YouTube, etc. It's difficult to invest time in to something only for it end up sucking. Especially YouTube/IG, since you have a bunch of people trying to be "influencers" trying to monetize their "hot takes."

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/19/24 3:00 p.m.
z31maniac said:
J.A. Ackley said:

I know for me, it's kind of like a lot of content.........analysis paralysis. There is SO MUCH new content coming out all the time. Music, TV Shows, movies, documentaries, YouTube, etc. It's difficult to invest time in to something only for it end up sucking. Especially YouTube/IG, since you have a bunch of people trying to be "influencers" trying to monetize their "hot takes."

That's with me for TV shows and movies. I just can't decide so I end up spending my time scrolling and watching nothing.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/19/24 3:23 p.m.
Duke said:
1988RedT2 said:

And you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  I should, I suppose, clarify by saying that mostly I've just acquired other interests.  Getting married and raising a family has a way of removing most of your idle time, and I've never been one to have music just endlessly playing in the background.  I probably can't name a single top 10 song from 2001 through 2011, and it's not necessarily because of any disdain for that era of popular music.   It's just that I wasn't listening to any music, unless it was some old vinyl that I'd cue up for the purpose of lulling the baby to sleep.  I can enjoy a quiet moment without feeling like something is missing.  I suppose I could have some music playing in the garage while I'm wrenching, and on those rare occasions that I indulge, it's probably FM radio and some Classic Rock.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/19/24 3:24 p.m.
Beer Baron 🍺 said:

In reply to Duke :

Laufey is basically contemporary version of mid-century-modern music (Sinatra, Crosby, Ertha Kitt, etc.) Listening to her stuff gives me hope for the music that the upcoming generation is going to make. I think they're listening to music from all eras, finding whatever happens to speak to them, and going with that.  Not really my style of music, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Anderson .Paak is a Hip-Hop artist, but he's a drummer and is partial to using a live band for his backing. Silk Sonic is a funk project he did with Bruno Mars.  Not a Bruno Mars fan at all, but maybe I'll give it a shot.

Fantastic Negrito is like... a guy who grew up listening to Hip Hop and decided to become a blues rock guitarist.  That sounds promising.

I feel like you and I have had this discussion before.  See also:  WAYLTRN? thread.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/19/24 3:27 p.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Click on something that has an interesting title or cool artwork.  If you're not feeling it in 90 seconds, click Back and try something else.

1988RedT2 said:

I probably can't name a single top 10 song from 2001 through 2011.

I couldn't reliably name a Top 10 song from, well, ever.  I could make a lot of obvious guesses, but that's all they would be.

It's cool, though; like what you like.  That's why tastes vary, and that's a good thing.  I don't begrudge anybody their personal likes and dislikes.

I'm just irritated by the "They stopped making good music in X year" and "Remember when music didn't suck?" memes.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/24 3:38 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Click on something that has an interesting title or cool artwork.  If you're not feeling it in 90 seconds, click Back and try something else.

1988RedT2 said:

I probably can't name a single top 10 song from 2001 through 2011.

I couldn't reliably name a Top 10 song from, well, ever.  I could make a lot of obvious guesses, but that's all they would be.

It's cool, though; like what you like.  That's why tastes vary, and that's a good thing.  I don't begrudge anybody their personal likes and dislikes.

I'm just irritated by the "They stopped making good music in X year" memes.

I couldn't name my top 10 favorite songs. I don't really care who the artist is. I don't really care what story they were trying to tell. I don't even need to know the name of the tune. If I like it, I hit the thumbs up and add it to the list. If I really like the artist, I look at their name and add that station to the list. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/19/24 3:39 p.m.

Count me in the "always trying to find new stuff" camp. I'm 42, and was in high school from 1996-00. I was listening to mostly Classic Rock, Grunge/Alternative, Punk, Hardcore, Hip-Hop, and Metal back then. I dabbled in popular music, mainly because most popular music at the time was just Alternative/Grunge stuff. I still listen to a lot of that. 

Toward the tail end of High School, I ended up auditioning for a Metal band on drums, or at least I thought it was. I went in thinking I'd be playing for a band like Metallica or maybe Pantera. I was shocked to find that what these guys were doing were not even close to that. I then discovered there were many, many subgenres of Metal (this band was a Metalcore band, which was HUGE in the Northeast at the time), so I spent years deep-diving into different subgenres of Metal. And I mean YEARS, because I am still finding new stuff to this day, since Metal as an overall style of music is still ever-evolving.

I also got into Post Hardcore, Emo and Screamo during the early 00's in my college years as a natural progression from Metalcore. Some of that I find too cringey to listen to now, but the better bands of that era still hold up for me and the nostalgia factor is high. Some of the Elder Emos are still going and innovating, which is cool.   

Some of my current favorite bands and genres weren't even around when I was in High School! That said, I left the world of popular music behind long ago and can't find a lot of redeeming qualities in the current offerings. As a "pretentious musician", I find the "pop star" avatars of songwriting factories boring and contrived. YMMV there, of course. That said, there's still lots of new stuff out there that pushes the boundaries of innovation, and the hunt for that keeps me interested in new music. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/19/24 4:08 p.m.

I listen in the same way- I have always listened to the entire album, and chosen my favorites.

I don't listen to very much from my teen years.  Sometimes its cool,  but I listen to more modern, and different genres than I did back then.

And, for the non Beatles fans, explain how, as a percentage of total output post breakup, Ringo has had the most success.  Do the math...

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
9/19/24 4:17 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I know for me, it's kind of like a lot of content.........analysis paralysis. There is SO MUCH new content coming out all the time. Music, TV Shows, movies, documentaries, YouTube, etc. It's difficult to invest time in to something only for it end up sucking. 

I think you may have really hit on it here. I know there's lots of great new music, but there's too much to sift through. Music wasn't better back in the day. There were just more people doing the work of curating it and sharing it on radio stations targeted at different audiences.

It's easier for me to discover great older music, because more people have gone through the trouble to identify the best albums of past decades.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy SuperDork
9/19/24 4:18 p.m.

My tastes have definitely changed and broadened over time. I was a child of the 80's and 90's. In the 80's, I liked R&B. I liked 60's and 70's rock, but didn't care for most of the early 80's hair band rock. That changed in the late 80's and 90's, when bands like Metallica and Guns and Roses started turning me back to rock. Through the 90's I regularly listened to some of just about everything, with rock winning out by 2000. Now with such easy access to everything, I listen to a pretty broad variety. I've revisited and come to really like a lot of artists that I had largely passed over. I enjoy talented singers, good bands, and well written songs regardless of genre. 

I was thinking of this topic recently when listening to my 16 year old daughter's playlist. I think the easy access to everything has made generational music largely a thing of the past. My kids just listen to songs they like, and may regularly choose to listen to songs that span 70 years. They don't tend to group music by age like we do, they just know which songs the like.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/19/24 4:19 p.m.
Duke said:

Because there is a huge quantity of interesting music that you could love but will never hear, because you don't listen for it.

Because there are a huge number of talented but unknown artists who could use the encouragement of knowing someone hears them.

I have hobbies, but music by itself is not one of them.  I don't listen to it as a primary activity, I put it on as a secondary thing while I'm doing something else.  We all have limited time and need to prioritize how we spend it -- I choose to prioritize other things.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/19/24 4:22 p.m.

I think my taste in music has stayed more or less the same but I try to branch out and find new stuff. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/19/24 4:25 p.m.

So here's a kind of a different question, I'm also 42 class of 2000. I don't know all these different categories of music now. 

Post-rock, post-punk, trip hop, shoegaze, metalcore, mathcore, etc. 

I listened to a lot of metal when I was growing up. There was "metal" and a few subcategories like Thrash, Death, Groove, and Black metal. And that seemed to be about it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VWy11eXm0ugNgpKfUIGPQCK7T5qMYgIRkM94s1FzmWZedkM02kTgWdC0pfUqVHdV