1 2
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/16/20 10:28 a.m.

Seems like I am seeing a blank space after the third topic in the forum right now, and some formatting oddities further down.  So far, I've looked on PC and iOS.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/16/20 10:29 a.m.

I see it too, I'm on a Mac using Safari.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/20 10:29 a.m.

Seeing it on chrome and Android too, u was wondering if it was a new ad location

wae
wae UberDork
12/16/20 10:30 a.m.

Yeah, I dropped something in the mod-help thread about it.  It's after the third thread in the list and then there's another one down a little further.  Weird.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
12/16/20 10:31 a.m.

Disable your ad blocker. The blank space is now an ad in my browser.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/16/20 10:33 a.m.

Ad

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
12/16/20 10:39 a.m.

As for 24hr Daytona tickets

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/16/20 10:52 a.m.

Pimpin' tickets.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
12/16/20 10:53 a.m.

Yep, we've added a few ads here and there to support the site. Nothing invasive, and nothing in the middle of threads or articles or anything, but site hosting and maintenance doesn't pay for itself. sad

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/16/20 11:01 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I disagree about the invasiveness. I've already clicked on it mistakenly while trying to scroll on my phone.

Could we at least get them ditched for forum supporters? I was happy to pay to be one specifically for the hosting and board upkeep.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/20 11:13 a.m.
bluej (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I disagree about the invasiveness. I've already clicked on it mistakenly while trying to scroll on my phone.

Could we at least get them ditched for forum supporters? I was happy to pay to be one specifically for the hosting and board upkeep.

I agree about it being a little disappointing to see them as a forum supporter via patreon.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/20 11:13 a.m.

Bears gotta eat, fish gotta swim, capitalism's gotta capitalize.

I'm cool with it.  Mildly annoying, but a fair trade for the good content.  I can scroll one extra line if it supports GRM.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/16/20 11:16 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Bears gotta eat, fish gotta swim, capitalism's gotta capitalize.

I'm cool with it.  Mildly annoying, but a fair trade for the good content.  I can scroll one extra line if it supports GRM.

Plus eleventy.

Tom Suddard
12/16/20 11:19 a.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

I don't want to raise expectations before being positive it will happen, but one reason we're trying to bring in a little more revenue is the giant project to give the forum supporters more goodies (including fewer ads) that our web developers are currently working on. But unfortunately that's all I can say until they're further down the road on building that.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/16/20 11:22 a.m.

I understand, and may put GRM on a trusted list, just been burned so many times on the internet, and had to clean up infections that I’ve had my ad blockers set pretty much to max for quite a while, as ads have been the only malware vector that has hit my computer for years.

Tom Suddard
12/16/20 11:24 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Thank you, that would be much appreciated. For what it's worth, one of this site's expenses is paying for an independent ad server instead of using Google's free version like 99% of the rest of the internet. We just weren't willing to compromise the control/trust necessary to have Google serving the ads.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/16/20 11:25 a.m.

Is it weird that I just want it to match the 5 (!) other visible ads on the screen?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/20 11:53 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

That's what it looks like without a blocker? That's just...wow.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/16/20 11:56 a.m.
slefain said:

Disable your ad blocker. The blank space is now an ad in my browser.

Odd that my ad blocker is disabled for this site, and I don't see the ads that are the blank spaces.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/16/20 11:57 a.m.

Blank spots on the map. The NSA doesn't want you to see certain parts of the forum.

Allegedly.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/20 1:58 p.m.

I'm not a fan, especially since I'm helping to pay for the site.

Thank you for using a more secure ad solution though.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/20 2:55 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Is it weird that I just want it to match the 5 (!) other visible ads on the screen?

The sidebar and top line ads don't really bother me, but having ads interrupt the line of message subjects is disruptive.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
12/16/20 3:10 p.m.

Apparently, invasive, is subjective.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) UberDork
12/16/20 3:24 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
ProDarwin said:

The sidebar and top line ads don't really bother me, but having ads interrupt the line of message subjects is disruptive.

This. Very disruptive.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
12/16/20 3:29 p.m.

In time they will be as invisible as the ads on the side.

I don't even see them anymore

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BtScabCtnd5JISarUXAot2HAzVnL1G3JnqeMqCUXTL3W1vmMFpW3NbAXq89u03pW