1 2
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
4/18/23 8:48 p.m.

Mine is barely hanging on.  What does the Hive suggest?

No Time
No Time UltraDork
4/18/23 8:58 p.m.

I have yet to find one I really like. I'm just commenting to make it easier to follow and find out what I should get next time. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
4/18/23 9:01 p.m.

I just use my old Oster hair clippers with the appropriate attachment. I normally keep my beard pretty close cropped.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/18/23 9:24 p.m.

I've had the cheap ones - I let my barber trim my beard and he uses $300 clippers - impressive.  No idea on brand but professional pairs.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
4/18/23 9:33 p.m.

You trim your beard?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/18/23 9:49 p.m.

I bought this to replace the Wahl which was crap.

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/MG3750_60/norelco-multigroom-3000-multipurpose-trimmer#see-all-benefits

I don't use the attachments anymore, just the bare blades. I trim every 4-5 weeks to a less than five o'clock shadow. Cheaper than razor blades. No oiling, self-sharpening, just brush the blades after. 

I recharged a few weeks ago for the first time. Had to look up the purchase date on Amazon.... three years ago. Around $21 on Amazon.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
4/18/23 10:14 p.m.
Stampie said:

You trim your beard?

You guys don't shave?

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
4/19/23 7:56 a.m.

I have a Remington. I also use it to trim the hair on my nearly-bald head. Aside from the battery needing to be on a constant charge to last long enough to get the job done, it's been a good product.

The same can't be said of the Braun shaver that doesn't shave as good as my decades old Remington 'brick' and has a trimmer function that broke within a year.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/23 8:00 a.m.

I'm using a cheap one. It does the job well and has lasted several years now. 

Hatteker Beard Trimmer on Amazon.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/23 8:01 a.m.

I got sick of replaCing Wahls every few months and took a gamble on one from Aldi. $20, works fine, but I throw away all the guides on purchase.

It's out lasted my last 2 wahl trimmers, but I've also quit trimming my beard and just do what left of the hair on top of my head. There's not a lot there, but it's still really thick. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/19/23 8:25 a.m.

I use this for the head, and it is great. I use an el-cheapo one for the beard, I should really look into a better option. 

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
4/19/23 9:53 a.m.

You really need 2 things in my experience:

1. A big hair clipper like you'd see at the barber.

2. A beard-specific trimmer for finer work.

Use the big one to do bulk work.  Especially if you have a long beard, the beard trimmer will not work out that well.  Once you have the bulk work done, you go in with the beard trimmer and clean up.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/19/23 10:54 a.m.

My Oster has been going strong for over a decade.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/19/23 11:14 a.m.
fasted58 said:

I bought this to replace the Wahl which was crap.

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/MG3750_60/norelco-multigroom-3000-multipurpose-trimmer#see-all-benefits

I don't use the attachments anymore, just the bare blades. I trim every 4-5 weeks to a less than five o'clock shadow. Cheaper than razor blades. No oiling, self-sharpening, just brush the blades after. 

I recharged a few weeks ago for the first time. Had to look up the purchase date on Amazon.... three years ago. Around $21 on Amazon.

I have this same one. Works well. 

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/23 1:26 p.m.

I started with a rechargeable Norelco, it worked well enough until the (long before lithium) battery died.  Replaced with Norelco T4000 (AA's), worked well enough but eventually the plastic bit which oscillates the blade wore out.  Replaced with Remington PG6025 which somehow works well enough using the 1/8" guard but sucks badly with 1/4".

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/19/23 1:26 p.m.

I can't imagine how you guys are killing the inexpensive Wahl trimmers.  I've had mine for a lot of years--maybe ten?  The rechargeable battery holds a useful charge for a crazy long time.  What have you got in your beard?  Barbed wire?  Small furry woodland creatures?

Edited to add relevant image:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.picamemag.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fanimal_beards_picame_1-500x375.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=b66e50a7ff733024895dc1ca9398eff4457f3b9e217eeb25c1b952baa6ff082b&ipo=images

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/19/23 5:02 p.m.

I just use a #2 attachment on my cordless Wahl for both my head and beard and I'm totally happy with it...$75 at Target 3ish years ago, trim everything at least once per week, no complaints.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/19/23 6:47 p.m.

I bought the older model of this about 5 years ago and still love it.  The battery lasts forever, I trim my beard 1-2x per week and it feels like the rechargeable battery lasts forever.  I'm also a fan of the one attachments and then using the built-in wheel to adjust the length.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelco-Trimmer-BT3210-41/dp/B078G9FJDK

I'd recommend my actual model (3500 series), but the price went from $30 when I ordered it to $70 now because it's an old model and hard to find.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/19/23 9:43 p.m.

15 years old, still going strong. Cordless ones didn't last. 

After each use, I brush the blade with an old toothbrush, then turn it on and give it a shot of this. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/19/23 11:10 p.m.
Stampie said:

You trim your beard?

That's what I was thinking...beard.....trimmer? I know those words individually, but they make no sense put together, like reliable Italian or bulletproof Lucas. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/23 4:39 p.m.
RX Reven' said:

I just use a #2 attachment on my cordless Wahl for both my head and beard and I'm totally happy with it...$75 at Target 3ish years ago, trim everything at least once per week, no complaints.

This but not once a week and definitely not during Stanley Cup Playoffs when the Bruins are in it.

I have a Manscape ceramic trimmer for the detail work and it came with a ear/nose trimmer too.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/20/23 5:18 p.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

One cautionary note: In my experience, trimmers are not significant other rated....I once trimmed my head and beard with the #2 attachment and then asked my wife to detail the hair line on the back of my neck with the attachment off because I was headed out on an important business trip and wanted to look sharp.  She proceeded to run the bare trimmer up the back of my head &@!!!%$!!!

I jerked away quick enough that she only made ~3/4" channel up the middle but &@!!!%$!!! 

Does anybody have something like this I can borrow???

High Collar shirt penny Sea Blue 3 button 100% Italian cotton Men's Vintage high neck Style Hand Stitched Free shipping 200-30

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/21/23 10:47 a.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

The wife usually finishes my head, I do 90% of it with a #2 (1/4"). Well...she had the guard off to do around my ears and went right up the side of my head.

"Well, you know what to do honey." No guard head and a #4 beard for a bit.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/9/24 8:39 a.m.

I bought the older generation of this Phillips motel I trimmer in 2014 according to my Amazon history.   It's still going strong.  Would not hesitate to buy again.  This cordless one lasts and lasts  

https://a.co/d/iTacFMD

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/9/24 8:41 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

yeah that's a good one. I've had mine for 10 years. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Jypvl4RB8MSC2plvWYJfEstt1ZrFdQPmuSafZwdtkjoRWOjL9mSzfTTgU4oxKmV