ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/7/20 5:18 p.m.

If you do, you know its awesome.  The Hasbro online version kinda sucks though, compared to Warzone.  Warzone has a bunch more options/play modes, but you can configure it to basically be Risk with one big difference:  Everyone sets up all of their moves, then they are all executed semi-simultaneously in a randomized order.  You can't take one mass of troops and go parading across the map, because you can only advance one territory in any direction in a single turn (but you can attack any number of territories that border yours) 

https://www.warzone.com/MultiPlayer/

Anyone interested in joining a game or game(s)?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/7/20 6:16 p.m.

Used to play a lot as a kid.  My kids have a copy and play some, but not near as much as they used to.  Seems video games have taken over, especially with the Wuhan thing.

I've played some sort of online version of Risk once or twice, but I don't think it was warzone.  Warlight?  Not that I have time for such things...

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/7/20 6:39 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Oooooooooh SOOOOOOO many hours playing on PS2....which I threw away a month ago...along with RISK.

It really is a fantastic game.

russde (Forum Supporter)
russde (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/20 6:51 p.m.

LOVE Risk!!!!

There's an on-line game at conquerclub dot com that has many different maps (but also the 'original') and many different play options (trench=one territory at a time, most have 24 per turn, but there are 'speed' games that are ~5 min per turn, lots of other options). Huge fun.

I'll gladly check the other one you referenced though...should I look for a particular user name?

I'm russde in conquerclub, if you want to check it out

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/7/20 7:04 p.m.

my username @ the google email service

russde (Forum Supporter)
russde (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/7/20 7:08 p.m.

I've joined...russde, not sure how to start a game, invite etc...did manage to lose one 'quickgame', controls are not super intuitive.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/7/20 7:14 p.m.
russde (Forum Supporter) said:

I've joined...russde, not sure how to start a game, invite etc...did manage to lose one 'quickgame', controls are not super intuitive.

I would just play the first few single player games because it has a little tutorial built in.  Its pretty simple after that.  Once it starts showing you anything beyond a "reinforcements" card, you can ignore it, because Risk rules don't have any of that crap anyway.

I should try conquerclub.  As I mentioned the big difference in the way turns are taken is nice.  For example, if you only have a chance to take 1 turn per day, in Warzone, thats 1 turn for *everyone*, as opposed to 1 turn for just you in risk.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 9:48 p.m.

I have not played in years, when I did, my friends and I would have epic eight+ hour sessions. 

My best was playing Russia. The guy playing Germany concentred on England and the US while i just built troops and put them on his border. By the time I ran out of plastic pieces, I had a wall between him and me -and then he made the mistake of attacking...

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 10:03 p.m.

I remember playing Risk with my father when I was young. Fond memories.  I might still have it up in my attic, unless maybe my father took it when my parents split.

Axis & Allies always seemed like an expanded version. I enjoyed playing that with my middle and high school friends.

Honestly, I'd never heard of Warzone.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/8/20 6:49 a.m.

Isn't that the game Kramer and Newman played on the subway? "A game of world domination played by two guys who can't even run their own lives?"

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/8/20 10:49 a.m.

I just discovered RISK is available for XBOX for $5.99, so...thanks(?) Early bed-time for the girls tonight!!!!

BillShiphr
BillShiphr New Reader
9/22/20 3:29 a.m.

Yeah, I tried this game and I want to say that it is really great. I want to play it again and recommend it to everyone!

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/22/20 9:34 a.m.

I'd rather not risk a canoe.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
7/22/23 7:19 a.m.

In reply to darlenewilkerson :

Yeah, I'm not going to RISK clicking on your link. You should come up with a better strategy, like maybe getting a legit job. 

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
7/24/23 7:47 a.m.

I love risk

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
7/24/23 9:06 a.m.

I had only a brief flirtation with Risk, but it was sort of a gateway into all manner of wargames. Starting with Axis & Allies, things quickly escalated into things like Advanced Civilization (the Avalon Hill game, not the later computer versions) and Advanced Squad Leader. But the greatest addiction, and arguably one of the best games ever made, was Diplomacy. Countless hours were spent wrangling over the fate of Europe in the early 20th Century with friends through high school and college. Seven players, in-person, and as much calculation, negotiation, and treachery as we could manage. Truly, it was a golden age....

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/24/23 10:55 a.m.
02Pilot said:

Seven players, in-person, and as much calculation, negotiation, and treachery as we could manage. Truly, it was a golden age....

How many friends did you lose, playing it? :)

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
7/24/23 11:19 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
02Pilot said:

Seven players, in-person, and as much calculation, negotiation, and treachery as we could manage. Truly, it was a golden age....

How many friends did you lose, playing it? :)

None, at least in any long-term sense. We all gave as good as we got. There were occasional threats of physical violence, but those were rarely pursued. Revenge is a dish best served cold and all....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zfsmSBcqNaJ8AeIcXk3xNp2pPLCmCc1S78hvQJJIxssERgIxZM9R1pQjwUVaXe8G