TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/24 6:35 p.m.

My 2004 Tundra loves to drain it's battery, and I only drive it occasionally so those drives are often initiated with some battery charger time.  So I got myself a Battery Tender. 

The catch is the truck lives outside 24/7.  Instructions say to not expose the unit to rain or snow.  I could get an electrical enclosure and mount the tender inside that with cords out the bottom.  But enclosures are pretty expensive (maybe I can find something used?).

Any experience solving this issue?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/10/24 6:41 p.m.

That's easy. Use a solar powered one. 

I have a small one, plugged into the cigarette lighter for a small (87 Mazda) truck that sits outside (it should have no power draw when sitting).  The solar part sits in the window in front of the the window shield.  Seems to keep the battery tip top all the time.  It's actually a lot easier then using a plug in one because you never need to unhook it!

I have one kind of like this.  They seem to come in different sizes.  I would guess a 2004 truck might need a bit more current.  Snow covering the window might be a bit of an issue, but rain clearly will not.

Our 10 Best Portable Solar Panels For Rv Battery Charging Of 2023 ...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/24 6:44 p.m.

Solar powered tender or a kill switch/battery disconnect. 

My ranger liked to drain the battery cause I only drove it once or twice a month. Disconnect on the battery made things worlds easier than trying to jump it or catch it in reverse.

TVR Scott
4/10/24 6:45 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I bought a hammer store one like that.  It didn't work as a hammer either.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/10/24 6:51 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Your engine bay is a free enclosure. 

Every now and then I leave a car outside and put the tender in the engine bay. Never had a problem. Your Tundra has to have space for it. 

TVR Scott
4/10/24 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Could be an option.

If I can find a good spot for mounting the whole unit, then I could just unplug the extension cord.  Would be just like a block-heater at that point.

I'll look.  That could be just fine.

Counterpoint: the directions say to not have the charger in the same space as the battery - hydrogen fumes, etc - but it would all be hard-wired.  Maybe not a big sparking concern?

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/24 6:57 p.m.

I put mine in an empty space under the hood

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/10/24 8:10 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

If you are worried, put it on the other side of the engine compartment from it- by the time any H2 gets over there, it should be pretty well diluted.

TVR Scott
4/10/24 8:22 p.m.

Well, this ended up being a bit of much ado about nothing.

Turned out I was able to get the 12v wiring to reach from under the garage door all the way to the plug on the truck.  Unit is inside, wiring is outside.  So that'll be fine.

And the connected wire is fully in my line of site when I get in, so that'll reduce the chance I drive off with it connected.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/10/24 9:39 p.m.
TVR Scott said:

And the connected wire is fully in my line of site when I get in, so that'll reduce the chance I drive off with it connected.

Didnt stop my wife from driving away lol. 

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
4/11/24 6:52 a.m.

My battery tender(s) both sit/dangle under their respective vehicles to keep them more or less out of the weather, no issues yet. I should make a nicer solution though

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/11/24 6:58 a.m.

I have one for my diesel truck that sits for long periods of time outside.

I stuffed the Battery Tender unit in a clear plastic bag with the opening at the bottom.  No problems so far.  I have been using the Battery Tender like that for a couple of years now.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
4/11/24 7:16 a.m.
TVR Scott said:

In reply to Slippery :

Could be an option.

If I can find a good spot for mounting the whole unit, then I could just unplug the extension cord.  Would be just like a block-heater at that point.

I'll look.  That could be just fine.

Counterpoint: the directions say to not have the charger in the same space as the battery - hydrogen fumes, etc - but it would all be hard-wired.  Maybe not a big sparking concern?

I've yet to see a trickle charger (one that is 0.75-1.5A) not have a provision to bolt to the battery terminals with a removable watertight plug.  You don't bolt the entire charger up, just the terminals, then unplug the cable and set all that in the garage.

I've been using a trickle charger to top up my truck for a while with the charger just setting on the intake under the hood.  Most I do is set the plugs where the charger goes into the extension cord under hood so no one can mess with it.

bbbbRASS
bbbbRASS Reader
4/11/24 11:41 a.m.

I know you solved this, but I join the chorus of those who just run the extension cord into the engine bay and plug everything in there if it's going to rain. No rain, that stuff sits on the groud. I think my Noco is able to be used outside though. It does have a detachable plug with terminals, and I made my own with some XT60 connectors for my other charger.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c1c7tRtL0yAgQNmvnpPCyJwmikUDBtpkg3kyhMHbMavl5QgiSVXtWOgTCAN8LpzG