Who's the grumpy white guy?

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
9/3/08 7:41 a.m.

Just when we REALLY need the phrase "In a world gone mad..."

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/08 7:54 a.m.

You see, that seed is walking with a white seed... and that would make the seed of the darker color bad, associating with seeds of a lighter color and all.

Does anyone else think Trey and Matt might have submitted these designs? I see a LOT of Mr.Hankey right there.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/08 8:09 a.m.

Dear Mr. Suddard,

Thank you for the excellent magazine and some great online articles for the times between the paper issues. The forums on the website however are not my favorite. I would like to recommend they be more closely monitored, if not moderated.

They seem to have attracted an unusually high ratio of very passionate, articulate, yet seriously misguided readers.

To wit, a forum user posted an article about a Watermelon seed named Waldo at a California Fair. The seed was drawn by young criminals and put on display by county officials to "Depict the importance of seeds" Myself, like many Californians took offense to this awful piece of "art".

Most rationale people, even those whom have no qualm with Watermelons or their seeds, would agree the actions of the subject in the article were stupid. Who would name a watermlon seed "Waldo".

Instead, a number of your forum users have quite vehemently defended these actions as normal for a county fair or some other respectable form of agriculture exhibition. They've failed to grasp the simple truth that "Waldo" is a stupid name for anything, even a watermelon seed.

Personally, I found the article to be a disgusting example of poor judgment. Posting it here to ruffle others feathers suggests a desire for attention. Defending the fair for exposing the tax paying citizens to this nonsense is cardinally mad. Cursing one another for their opinion of the matter is plainly rude. What of this is grassroots?

Your magazines have earned a great reputation for their high content:fluff ratio the website and forums should support. I strongly recommend establishing better boundaries for the use of the forums. Please do not be afraid to restrict or even disallow the use of the forums by those whom either cannot or will not behave themselves. A right to an opinion does not equal permission to pollute your forums with it.

John Brown
9/3/08 8:11 a.m.

(As baxter changes Wallys name to Waldo... again)

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/3/08 8:13 a.m.
Veronica Hannon Thrasher and her husband objected to the "Waldo Watermelon" caricature, which they said looked like "a happy black slave eating watermelon."

I wouldn't object if they said happy black person, but why did they say happy black slave?

I think they inadvertantly revealed to the public that they in fact are racist when they see a characiture of a black person, (let me defend myself before I get attacked. The article stated that the seeds each depicted their true colors, and the seeds have faces, limbs etc which could be called humanistic features, thus black in color + aforementioned features = black person), and automatically think slave. Wooo! Sorry for the run on sentence, but you get the idea.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
9/3/08 8:49 a.m.

Leave it to the .... Canadians .. to perpetuate racism!

What Will they do in a few Generations, when all are brown?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/3/08 8:51 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: Veronica Hannon Thrasher and her husband objected to the "Waldo Watermelon" caricature, which they said looked like "a happy black slave eating watermelon."

Quite an imagination they have.

Yeah this is stupid, but nowadays it should be common sense to any artist that if you draw a character with a totally black body, someone is going to cry racism.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Popo#Controversy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_(121-140)#Jynx

Also I checked this guy for controversy, just out of curiosity. None...yet. But they'll get on his case soon enough, especially since he wears a big funny hat, a big cloak, and smacks around a girl in a short skirt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayuri_Kurotsuchi

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
9/3/08 8:51 a.m.

They didn't have to give the seed such large white teeth,

WilD
WilD Reader
9/3/08 9:10 a.m.

I think everyone is missing the real issue here. Canibalism. Nobody else noticed the watermellon seed is eating watermelon?

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
9/3/08 9:45 a.m.

Canadians are Canibals!

John Brown
9/3/08 9:52 a.m.

I couldn't love GRM the magazine or the website more, and believe me, I don't like to be the P.C police or anything or the guy who has a problem with everything thing, but I do have a problem with this...

I find it a bit offensive that you use terms like “Canadians” etc etc... for your little descriptions or whatever in the avatars. I myself do not have hockey skates, nor am I a curling teacher or own a tuque, but I feel sensitivity for people with beer as I am a student taking very cold classes, and my Girlfriend is pursuing her masters in the field.

These terms although I'm pretty sure are not even real words, are obviously meant to resemble the words used to describe people with continental impairments, and it appears that they are used on these boards in a joking sense which, as I view it, makes light of people who are afflicted with climatic disabilities.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
9/3/08 9:55 a.m.

yeah..and all bus drivers are fat like Ralph Cramden.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
9/3/08 10:44 a.m.

I think the complaint is that the black seed is eating a watermelon. Obviously a racially motivated slam on black folks.

It seems some people try too hard to find things to complain about.

I have an old cloth flour bag that is what these folks should be compaining about. I keep it hidden away. Not even sure where it is.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
9/3/08 10:47 a.m.

Old Mamma Jamma? These folk would have us destroy all History.. flags and all

Sorry.. I forgot Real Canadians post here.... some of my best friends...

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/3/08 10:50 a.m.

It seems that every race that originated in desert conditions loves watermelon.

Honestly it's funny how many things you don't realize are racial stereotypes until people that themselves are culturally ignorant point them out.

I'm Arab, and my family berkeleying loves watermelon, as well as honeydue and canteloupe, but especially watermelon.

On a slight tangent, I didn't know the term "porch monkey" was a racial slur for black people until I was like 18 or so. The reason being that in the neighborhood I grew up in, there was a group of neighbors that would spend most afternoons drinkin beer on one of their porches. They were not the most motivated people you'd ever meet as they had dead end jobs and didn't seem to care. Ironically, (if you're a racist that is), they were white, and all the black people I knew worked hard, and taught their kids about values and whatnot.

I thought porch monkey applied to anyone that just sat on the porch and wasted their life away. I had no clue about the racial thing.

EricM
EricM Reader
9/3/08 11:05 a.m.

The other mascot looks like an Angry Sprm Cell.....

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
9/3/08 11:19 a.m.

You guys didn't know that food is just ripe with racism?? (sorry I couldn't resist the pun). Go the the grocery store and you'll see it. Why is it that the green lives are in a jar for everyone to see but the BLACK olives are locked up in a can out of site? Look at the cereal isle. The white cereals (like frosted flakes), well "they're GRRREEEEAT!!" while you have to be crazy to like the cereals of color "I'm koo-koo for coco puffs". I have a dream.........

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
9/3/08 11:45 a.m.
captainzib wrote: I thought porch monkey applied to anyone that just sat on the porch and wasted their life away. I had no clue about the racial thing.

I thought that coons were small animals that you could turn into a nice fur hat... and then I moved to VA...

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
9/3/08 11:47 a.m.

Now I'm confused though, how did we Canadians get blamed for the racism? Did this not occur in California?

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
9/3/08 12:02 p.m.

I thought porch monkey applied to anyone that just sat on the porch and wasted their life away. I had no clue about the racial thing.

Your correct! It's only "racial " if all the goof offs are the same race!

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
9/3/08 1:26 p.m.

The official slogan of the late 90's/00's:

"I'M OFFENDED!"

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
9/3/08 1:55 p.m.
I didn't know the term "porch monkey" was a racial slur for black people until I was like 18 or so.

<---Frantically googles "Clerks II photos..."

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/3/08 2:01 p.m.

I've seen Clerks II And the scenes you're thinking of were hilarious.

doitover
doitover Reader
9/3/08 3:16 p.m.

I'm more concerned by the disturbing display of cannibalism.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7N0GsV18kSy8e5Az1mSQSJAUhwj8XHfoHbcdGfrw96FsXVfpXGmZnhf8zJdRg49A