etifosi
etifosi Dork
7/5/16 2:03 p.m.

Daisy needs appropriate shoes!

When I first laid eyes on her in JTW8's driveway, I noticed the 2008 date code & spider's web of cracks on the sidewall and told myself to replace them, pronto.

So a little over a year, 12 kayak trips & 2500 miles later, right front tar blew-out.

Tires in this size seem to be knobby beasts for trucks, kooky Chinese names, or old-school Cooper/Mastercraft. I'm leaning towards highway-tread LT tires, wouldn't feel right running on Tiananmen Square tires, and would like something "better/newer" than the same Coopers I ran on limos in the 90's.

Anyone here have recommendations for me?

As a show of appreciation, anyone who contributes - I'll cover your admission to the Giant's Despair hillclimb, this weekend!

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
7/5/16 4:15 p.m.

for real

slefain
slefain UberDork
7/5/16 4:23 p.m.

I have the same problem. The tires on my '69 Delta 88 are 17 years old. I'm running 235/75-15s all the way around. The tires look great, but I'm not going to put much faith in them. Interested in seeing what you find.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/5/16 4:28 p.m.

I have the Cooper Trendsetter SE on my '75 Pontiac wagon and am very happy with them. They come in a 235/75R15.

Plus they sport a nice whitewall.

etifosi
etifosi Dork
7/5/16 4:49 p.m.
akamcfly wrote: for real

More knobs than a door store, $143 each. Though they are made in US, not the right choice here. However......you still get free admission to hillclimb!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
7/5/16 5:11 p.m.

What about something a little shorter like the 235/70/15? You can get hte BFG Radial T/A in those and that was a great tire and better than the coopers. Or if you have enough wheel, some 255/70's to keep your OD correct.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
7/5/16 5:37 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I have the Cooper Trendsetter SE on my '75 Pontiac wagon and am very happy with them. They come in a 235/75R15. Plus they sport a nice whitewall.

This. I even autocrossed my wagon with the Coopers, and they did well for what they were on.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/5/16 5:54 p.m.
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/5/16 6:29 p.m.

Wal-Mart sells Goodyear wranglers in that size for like 70 bucks each. I've had a set last for 7 years under an explorer

slowride
slowride HalfDork
7/5/16 7:50 p.m.

Yokohama Avid Touring-S?

discount tire

etifosi
etifosi Dork
7/5/16 9:43 p.m.

Any flat-spot issues for the Cooper-clad crew? Daisy waits patiently for about 5 month, while winter saps my will to exist. Then the road salt is gone and she can take the etifosis on adventures with our boats and bikes.

Why am I concerned with tire noise when I have 2 kayaks on the roof?!?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/5/16 10:12 p.m.

No flat-spotting for me.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
7/6/16 8:08 a.m.

I don't/didn't drive my family trucksters in the winter either, and had no issues with flat-spotting.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
7/6/16 9:55 a.m.

I have these on my Dakota in that size :

Yokohama Geolandar G056

Honestly, they are pretty nice. They ride great, and still look like I installed them yesterday. They are technically a "highway" tire, so you could probably get away with installing them with the blackwalls out. OR... go for that full size Pre-Runner look and mount them with the white letters out!

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie New Reader
7/6/16 10:37 a.m.

235/75r15 Hankook on my pickup. Whitewall out. I've had very good luck with these tires, having had them a several vehicles that I've built. Damn cheap too.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
7/6/16 10:58 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I have these on my Dakota in that size : Yokohama Geolandar G056 Honestly, they are pretty nice. They ride great, and still look like I installed them yesterday. They are technically a "highway" tire, so you could probably get away with installing them with the blackwalls out. OR... go for that full size Pre-Runner look and mount them with the white letters out!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/6/16 12:54 p.m.

Just put whitewall hankook's in 215-75-15 on dad's roadmonster, they look great and with how the hankooks are wearing on 2 different trucks i figured why not

etifosi
etifosi Dork
7/6/16 1:00 p.m.

Ha ha, just decided to follow the Trendsetters here............and they are no longer available! Looks like I'll go with Mastercraft AS 4 now.

Thanks to all you guys for your input and suggestions.

Oh, yeah.......I promised free admission to the Giant's Despair hillclimb this weekend! Here ya go!

etifosi
etifosi Dork
7/8/16 7:31 p.m.

$365 installed, 4 mastercraft AS IVs. They are black, round,and hold air. I'd have bought something higher-end, but these tars wills age out before they wear out.

Dammit, they're Mexican-built.

Thanks again for all the input & suggestions. See you at the Giant's Despair!

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
7/8/16 8:40 p.m.

I am so happy to see that wagon still in the GRM family

etifosi
etifosi Dork
7/8/16 9:59 p.m.

Daisy has taken us to kayak the Delaware & Susquehanna rivers, Gouldsboro, Tobyhanna, and Frances Slocum state parks. She's a Rock Star, I can see people saying "omigod!" and see jaws literally drop. My favorite is when there is only one person in the car, and they point!

Without GRM I would not be driving Miss Daisy. Thanks POs, especially brother JTw8!

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
7/9/16 2:44 p.m.

Hencho en Mexico is alot closer than Made in Tiananmen Square tires.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aA6iLiowHt5OchEE9vcwtaLDvNORHoUZ43IBoxMQBGkE49raUYs2TqjwoOLuzPtk