1 2 3 4
MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/27/11 10:52 a.m.

The movie is being made. It is sure to piss some people off. How does the forum feel? Me-I watched the trailer and I am pretty sure the people who made it didn't interpret the book the same way I did.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
2/27/11 10:59 a.m.

I LOVED the book, but I am totally sure that Hollywood would lose the point or misrepresent her ideas. Ayn's stuff isn't easily understood by the masses.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/27/11 11:18 a.m.

Interesting ideas do not make one a decent author. Having one character deliver an 80 page soliloquy is NOT WRITING A STORY. She should have just written a stupid essay and been done with it. The story was unnecessary.

[runs away and hides before he's stoned to death by all the libertarians on the board]

BTW, I'm not trolling. I think she's a horrible writer.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/27/11 11:34 a.m.

I think Ayn Rand is a moron, who does not understand personal interaction or human emotion on a level needed to make any sense of anything.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/27/11 11:42 a.m.
Ignorant wrote: I think Ayn Rand is a moron, who does not understand personal interaction or human emotion on a level needed to make any sense of anything.

So in other words, your mentor?

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/27/11 11:48 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
Ignorant wrote: I think Ayn Rand is a moron, who does not understand personal interaction or human emotion on a level needed to make any sense of anything.
So in other words, your mentor?

zing..

No... Look, I've read her books and I find some of the ideas very interesting, but start digging into Rand's ideas on love and families.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/27/11 11:50 a.m.

I agree that she's a horrible writer. (I will withhold my opinions of her ideas.) I don't think there's enough story in her writing to actually make an interesting movie.

I predict it will be a flop. The fans of her work will think it's a bad idea and just re-read the book. Anyone unfamiliar with her work will not even realize that the movie exists unless it is packed with Bay-splosions. Less because they lack the sophistication, and more because the just won't care.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
2/27/11 11:56 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I LOVED the book, but I am totally sure that Hollywood would lose the point or misrepresent her ideas. Ayn's stuff isn't easily understood by the masses.

How do you know you didn't misinterpret it? (I never read it, so I have no idea either way)

Also, in reference to angrys post, her name does fit in with the whole "stupid way of spelling normal names" thing.

Joey

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/27/11 12:02 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: Also, in reference to angrys post, her name does fit in with the whole "stupid way of spelling normal names" thing.

It's not pronounced like "Ann". It's pronounced like "Ine". Most people just mispronounce it.

Don't forget she was born in Russia, and "Ayn" was not her given name.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/27/11 12:13 p.m.

How long before we see glenn beck crying on TV about how beautiful and inspiring a movie this is? Much like the reactions after "the passion of the christ"...

Ugh.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
2/27/11 12:27 p.m.
Ignorant wrote: How long before we see glenn beck crying on TV about how beautiful and inspiring a movie this is? Much like the reactions after "the passion of the christ"... Ugh.

Does that mean you're gonna be watching Beck in order to give a personal report? Or that you'll just wait for the cliff-notes, edited version provided by (insert choice here) or an agenda-driven third party?

NOTE: Questions offered by one who appreciates some of Rand's philosophy but certainly not all of it.....

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
2/27/11 12:52 p.m.

I loved the message of the book, but thought the actual book sucked. It didn't need to be nearly as long as it was. I would keep saying "I get it already" while reading it as she would spend multiple pages saying the same thing over and over and over again. I felt like I was a dead horse and was continually getting beaten while reading it.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
2/27/11 12:55 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
joey48442 wrote: Also, in reference to angrys post, her name does fit in with the whole "stupid way of spelling normal names" thing.
It's not pronounced like "Ann". It's pronounced like "Ine". Most people just mispronounce it. Don't forget she was born in Russia, and "Ayn" was not her given name.

Oh. I stand corrected.

Joey

stroker
stroker Reader
2/27/11 1:41 p.m.

Let me know when they make "Unintended Consequences" and I'll be much more interested.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/27/11 5:12 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: Does that mean you're gonna be watching Beck in order to give a personal report?

sorry no cable. I don't believe in it.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
2/27/11 5:56 p.m.
Ignorant wrote: How long before we see glenn beck crying on TV about how beautiful and inspiring a movie this is? Much like the reactions after "the passion of the christ"... Ugh.

Sean Hannity was falling all over himself trying to kiss the butt of one of the stars of the movie on his show a few weeks ago. they showed the trailer on that show- it just looked like one of those poorly written and over acted low budget movies that will have a small cult following and everyone else will totally forget the movie ever existed .

Leach
Leach GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/11 7:02 p.m.
Ignorant wrote:
oldsaw wrote: Does that mean you're gonna be watching Beck in order to give a personal report?

Cable is indeed real, there was one laying in the street here when I got home. Stupid snow

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
2/27/11 7:14 p.m.
Leach wrote:
Ignorant wrote:
Cable is indeed real, there was one laying in the street here when I got home. Stupid snow

That's where it belongs. It has a place in nature: ripped down from the pole it gets piped on. I was going to make a "daughter" joke, but that's way over the top. And I wouldn't have meant it, except if it were funny.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/27/11 8:24 p.m.

fingers in ears.. La la la la la la la la like obama's birth certificate you can't convince me it exists...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/27/11 8:38 p.m.

I enjoyed the book, very longwinded in parts but overall enjoyable to me.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
2/28/11 6:14 a.m.
T.J. wrote: I loved the message of the book, but thought the actual book sucked. It didn't need to be nearly as long as it was. I would keep saying "I get it already" while reading it as she would spend multiple pages saying the same thing over and over and over again. I felt like I was a dead horse and was continually getting beaten while reading it.

You've just described "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". I've not read Rand's work, so for someone like me the movie may be a reasonable substitute for reading it. If I come away from it just knowing who the hell John Galt is, it will have been beneficial.

Yes, I'm a Libertarian who hasn't actually read "Atlas Shrugged". Amazing, I know.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
2/28/11 6:16 a.m.

I for one, refuse to believe that there are so many among this motley collection of rubes that have ever even touched a novel by Ayn Rand, or even know who she is, let alone read a tome like "Atlas Shrugged" in its entirety!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/28/11 6:20 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I for one, refuse to believe that there are so many among this motley collection of rubes that have ever even touched a novel by Ayn Rand, or even know who she is, let alone read a tome like "Atlas Shrugged" in its entirety!

Read it 1.5 times. First time, I couldn't make it through Galt's radio address. Holy hell that woman can get wordy. Second time I soldiered through.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/28/11 7:01 a.m.

http://www.ellensplace.net/ar_pboy.html

PLAYBOY: According to your philosophy, work and achievement are the highest goals of life. Do you regard as immoral those who find greater fulfillment in the warmth of friendship and family ties? RAND: If they place such things as friendship and family ties above their own productive work, yes, then they are immoral. Friendship, family life and human relationships are not primary in a man's life. A man who places others first, above his own creative work, is an emotional parasite; whereas, if he places his work first, there is no conflict between his work and his enjoyment of human relationships..

lady is crackalacking crazy.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/28/11 8:02 a.m.

All in the interpretation Iggy. You see placing work above family ties as saying "My job is all that is important to me, FU family." I interpret it as "To truly be happy you must achieve personal happiness through creative work. Only after you have created personal happiness can you purely enjoy the happiness of human companionship." Basically you get your inner needs for success filled and you don't have to rely on the false praise of others to feel self worth.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WFqx8ZReHjdLxkVc5sbCYcEZihTg3DFbTYsBu2wQwLfZ8vEAuEUWOTYMm4tOwDGk