Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
2/28/11 1:06 p.m.

And now back to your previous discussion

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/28/11 1:28 p.m.
Ignorant wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: All in the interpretation Iggy. You see placing work above family ties as saying "My job is all that is important to me, FU family." I interpret it as "To truly be happy you must achieve personal happiness through creative work. Only after you have created personal happiness can you purely enjoy the happiness of human companionship." Basically you get your inner needs for success filled and you don't have to rely on the false praise of others to feel self worth.
I don't know how you can be a parent and put the satisfaction and joy of yourself above that of your children. Just not possible.

I argue with your assumed definitions of personal satisfaction and joy. I think most people have no clue what makes them happy and assume you are talking about food/boobs/beer/money when you mention personal satisfaction. Personal satisfaction can come from the "creative work" of raising children if that is your true desire.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
2/28/11 1:47 p.m.

Interesting. I didn’t know they were making a movie. Maybe it will bring more attention to the short I’m working on: “Atlas Shrugged When He Got Pwned In His Porsche GT By A Guy In A Miata.” Name might be too long.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox HalfDork
2/28/11 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Karl La Follette:

Why is this poor fellow so sad? Now I am going to cry.

Beyond that, I've had a copy of Atlas Shrugged sitting on my bookcase for 15 years but I haven't read it yet.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
2/28/11 1:56 p.m.
wcelliot wrote: "Give in to your overlords; they are better than you"

Yeah! That's what the guy in the Porsche yells as the Miata flies by!

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/28/11 2:21 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I argue with your assumed definitions of personal satisfaction and joy. I think most people have no clue what makes them happy and assume you are talking about food/boobs/beer/money when you mention personal satisfaction. Personal satisfaction can come from the "creative work" of raising children if that is your true desire.

based upon the rest of the interview what you have said above flies in face of her beliefs.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/28/11 2:26 p.m.
Ignorant wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Personal satisfaction can come from the "creative work" of raising children if that is your true desire.
based upon the rest of the interview what you have said above flies in face of her beliefs.

Not at all, but thanks for insisting the Ayn "Fascist" Rand is the correct interpretation. One of the best characters in Atlas Shrugged is a short-order cook. He's just a damned good short-order cook. Pride comes from doing what you choose to do, well.

madmallard
madmallard Reader
2/28/11 2:35 p.m.
Ignorant wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: I argue with your assumed definitions of personal satisfaction and joy. I think most people have no clue what makes them happy and assume you are talking about food/boobs/beer/money when you mention personal satisfaction. Personal satisfaction can come from the "creative work" of raising children if that is your true desire.

Imma have to go with iggy on this one. In her world view, its not subject to interpretation what 'creative work' is. It is specifically self-realisation/actualization above all else thru one's personal struggles.

She rejected religion and favored absolute reasoning, which is impossible with faith-based belief. With that in mind, you may develop a personal meaning from her works, but what SHE specifically felt on the issue is pretty clear.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/28/11 2:40 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Ignorant wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Personal satisfaction can come from the "creative work" of raising children if that is your true desire.
Not at all, but thanks for insisting the Ayn "Fascist" Rand is the correct interpretation. One of the best characters in Atlas Shrugged is a short-order cook. He's just a damned good short-order cook. Pride comes from doing what you choose to do, well.

did you read the whole interview? Her views are very clear.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/28/11 2:44 p.m.

I've read it many times, as well as most of her nonfiction.

Leach
Leach GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/11 2:52 p.m.
Duke wrote: One of the best characters in Atlas Shrugged is a short-order cook. He's just a damned good short-order cook. Pride comes from doing what you choose to do, well.

I hope they get Kenan to play him. He kills me

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/28/11 2:57 p.m.
Leach wrote:
Duke wrote: One of the best characters in Atlas Shrugged is a short-order cook. He's just a damned good short-order cook. Pride comes from doing what you choose to do, well.
I hope they get Kenan to play him. He kills me

Holy hell. I'd watch that!

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/28/11 2:58 p.m.
Duke wrote: I've read it many times, as well as most of her nonfiction.

so then how do you explain the fact that she does not believe that a woman who stays with her children is immoral? (when pressed though, she gives an out and says some glib crap about.. I guess it's OK if the kids are young but beyond that.. Blah blah blah..)

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/28/11 3:05 p.m.
Ignorant wrote:
Duke wrote: I've read it many times, as well as most of her nonfiction.
so then how do you explain the fact that she does not believe that a woman who stays with her children is immoral? (when pressed though, she gives an out and says some glib crap about.. I guess it's OK if the kids are young but beyond that.. Blah blah blah..)

I've been around this ring with you too many times to think another lap is worth the effort. Call me what you will.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/28/11 3:21 p.m.
Duke wrote: I've been around this ring with you too many times to think another lap is worth the effort. Call me what you will.

I won't call you names... I will say that Rand has transcended from author to psuedo-religion.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
2/28/11 3:30 p.m.
Ignorant wrote: I won't call you names... I will say that Rand has transcended from author to psuedo-religion.

Well, that's OK, Reagan doesn't mind company....

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/11 3:58 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Thankfully, I grew up once I reached adulthood. Sad that she didn't. Her real-life story, by the way, shows the kind of fruit her ideas bear. Sour stuff.

Just read her Wikipedia entry, with copious citations, and you're right. She ended up being a hot mess.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/28/11 3:59 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Ignorant wrote: I won't call you names... I will say that Rand has transcended from author to psuedo-religion.
Well, that's OK, Reagan doesn't mind company....

bwahahahahahaha

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/28/11 4:36 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Thankfully, I grew up once I reached adulthood. Sad that she didn't. Her real-life story, by the way, shows the kind of fruit her ideas bear. Sour stuff.
Just read her Wikipedia entry, with copious citations, and you're right. She ended up being a hot mess.

I disagree that her personal life shows the kind of fruit her ideas bear. I do, however, agree that she failed to live up to her own ideas in relatively spectacular fashion and yeah, "hot mess" is a pretty valid description. But you can see big traces of that weirdness in the fiction anyway, particularly Fountainhead.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/28/11 5:42 p.m.

another case of "Do as I say, not as I do" ????

All the best people are like that..

wbjones
wbjones Dork
2/28/11 7:08 p.m.
Ignorant wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: All in the interpretation Iggy. You see placing work above family ties as saying "My job is all that is important to me, FU family." I interpret it as "To truly be happy you must achieve personal happiness through creative work. Only after you have created personal happiness can you purely enjoy the happiness of human companionship." Basically you get your inner needs for success filled and you don't have to rely on the false praise of others to feel self worth.
I don't know how you can be a parent and put the satisfaction and joy of yourself above that of your children. Just not possible.

I'm not a parent....

read the book 4 - 5 times and have yet to get through the entire Gault speech......... but then I've never made it through "War and Peace" either

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
2/28/11 7:53 p.m.
Ignorant wrote:

please note that I mean.. You as "anyone". I just realized that this could be interpreted as an attack and it was not meant that way in the least.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/28/11 8:15 p.m.

In reply to Ignorant:

I am too arrogant to believe that I am a bad parent so I dismissed the perceived attack as nonsense.

Really though, Thank you for clarifying.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/28/11 8:54 p.m.

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmm. Boobs.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/28/11 9:02 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Oh that's right. Let me edit that. Fountainhead could make a good movie, but there's certainly no guarantees. See also: any Stephen King movie adaptation.

As it was - I saw Salem's Lot when I was 9yrs old. It berkeleyed me up pretty good for a whole year of looking under toilet seats and closing curtains before going to bed.

He should have stopped himself when it suddenly became hard to write the 2nd half of a book. IMO that would have been anything after Dead Zone. The Shining was the only one that really was a good movie - and it took Stanley Kubrick to pull that off.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7udsoFKRZNucIi3QbculvriShwqgbIGwEdWI2nQlWdnpny03ay9NKJlqRwr7KW7a