GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 10:44 a.m.

Not only do they not work well with human eyes, it now turns out that, contrary to earlier reports, they don't work with speed cameras either!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-licence-plate-toronto-photo-radar-1.5467640

I'm going to look into plate transferability and the possibility of getting some fresh plates for my DD today laugh

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/19/20 10:47 a.m.

This will be devastating to their revenue. Err, I meant public safety....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/20 10:50 a.m.

The 407 just went toll-free!

That's a shame, the old plates were clear and looked good.

GameboyRMH
2/19/20 10:56 a.m.

OK, so if your plates were to get damaged in a terrible accident that only affected the plates themselves perhaps involving a bench vice and an angle grinder, you could take them in for replacement for $60CAD:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/replace-lost-stolen-or-damaged-licence-plate-or-personalized-licence-plate

And you can keep your plates after you sell a vehicle, leaving them available to be put on a newly registered vehicle. Apparently they produce the new plates on the spot so your car won't have to be off the road. Personalized plates will retain their content while regular plates will get a new random number.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/19/20 11:02 a.m.

I bet a heat gun would have the plastic coating separate off of your current plate, then it's a warranty exchange and free (provided the plates aren't too old). 

I'll stick with my current plates though, the blue on the new ones is a bit too political for me.

Adam

GameboyRMH
2/19/20 11:07 a.m.
adam525i said:

I'll stick with my current plates though, the blue on the new ones is a bit too political for me.

I'm a bit conflicted about that as well, but I could tell myself that it's a practical choice laugh

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/19/20 11:07 a.m.

I love it when one government bureaucracy quarrels with another.  yes

GameboyRMH
2/19/20 11:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The Canadian Rich Guy Weekend Wangan is now The Canadian People's Weekend Wangan! devillaugh

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
2/19/20 11:40 a.m.

"Activist who want the new plate program scraped" I wonder who those are? 

"Dark ages of free reign" had me literally laughing out loud. 

I love being able to chose my own license plate here in the states. The Endless Summer Florida plate is the best. 

Also my dashcam picked up a car in front of me with a ton of IR leds surrounding the plate. Ingenious idea to obfuscate your plate to traffic cams.

NGTD
NGTD PowerDork
2/19/20 7:37 p.m.

I have a set on the Pathfinder. I know what vehicle I'm taking on the 407 next time!!!

GameboyRMH
2/19/20 9:13 p.m.

Saw one IRL tonight, at certain angles the letters disappear into the background.

GameboyRMH
2/28/20 7:32 p.m.

Damn, apparently the beginning of the end of the party came the same day I made this thread:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6574801/new-ontario-licence-plates-recall/

Those of you who got stealth plates will get replacements in the mail. How long you'll be able to put off the installation of your non-stealth replacement plates is another matter devil

GameboyRMH
8/27/21 8:18 a.m.

Thread resurrection: Any of you who got these plates are very lucky, they're still legal and replacements haven't been sent out yet to those who got them:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-licence-plate-foi-findings-1.6154105

When I registered my Toyobaru a couple months ago I got a previous-design plate, which I prefer if I'm not getting a plate with stealth capability...

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/21 10:09 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Whaaa?  The ETR is now just the ER?

I wonder where they replaced that revenue.  If you take it the whole way across Toronto it was like a $46 toll (which is what... $2.65 US)  laugh

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/27/21 10:24 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Whaaa?  The ETR is now just the ER?

I wonder where they replaced that revenue.  If you take it the whole way across Toronto it was like a $46 toll (which is what... $2.65 US)  laugh

It's only free if it can't read your plates, I have a friend that makes sure there's a bike on the back whenever he has to take the 407 lol

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/21 10:46 a.m.

Yeah, it was a joke about the stealth plates.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dozt5vgaKBwV6RbqQnSWmIDvegt5I2HwnygpZoXpFOq04mpf0NqT4sEwf79iNOPK