1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/24 7:49 p.m.

I'm looking for an M13x1.5 bottoming tap with an extra-long shaft, has to operate on a 30mm long thread that's on the end of a 110mm long bolt shaft, does such a thing exist? It looks like M13x1.5 is pretty rare in general.

GameboyRMH
6/13/24 7:56 p.m.

Think I found the first one that matches the specs, only problem is that it looks like the fastest shipping will get it to me in July, and I needed this thing earlier today ideally:

https://www.amazon.com/Aceteel-M13X1-5X130-Extra-Thread-Right/dp/B0CQJW954Z

GameboyRMH
6/13/24 8:05 p.m.

Found another one that looks like it might be long enough with slightly faster delivery, not sure if it's hard enough to work on a crankshaft though:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006177296978.html

GameboyRMH
6/13/24 8:37 p.m.

I think those might be the only options, no M13 taps on McMaster-Carr or Grainger...

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/13/24 8:53 p.m.

Did you try MSC?

i wouldnt tap a crank with an Ali Express tap/Amazon, that's just me. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/13/24 8:55 p.m.

MSC has limited options, and this doesn't seem long enough. 

MSC

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
6/13/24 8:55 p.m.
porschenut
porschenut Dork
6/13/24 9:05 p.m.

Can you get a regular tap and cut it to make it bottoming?  Then an 8 point socket and extensions for length?

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/13/24 9:08 p.m.

Are there threads there, or just drilled and ready to tap?

GameboyRMH
6/13/24 9:19 p.m.

There are already threads there, this is an attempt to fix them. There may be a way for 80-90mm taps to reach with the crank spacer removed, but otherwise it will need to reach with nothing being wider than the 12mm bolt shaft, so socket extensions would be too wide.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/13/24 9:28 p.m.

Do you have a welder?  When I've needed long taps in the past I welded an extension on the shank.

GameboyRMH
6/13/24 9:31 p.m.

Yeah welding an extension on could be an option. I'm looking at ordering that 89mm long one from MSC, there wouldn't be any problems cleaning up 30mm of threads with a tap that has 22mm of cutting length right?

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/24 9:43 p.m.

Does Fastenal have anything?

GameboyRMH
6/13/24 9:46 p.m.

Fastenal only has this, specs are similar to the one MSC has:

https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/3157661

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/13/24 9:54 p.m.

Are you certain it's 1.5?  I'm finding a decent few from my normal suppliers in m13x1.0, but not anything in 1.5?

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/13/24 9:55 p.m.

It sounds like you really want a thread chaser. You could also look into a thread repair tool.

For this application though, I wouldn't worry about using a 22mm-long tap to clean a 30mm hole provided that you allowed for it to bottom and had an extension. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/13/24 10:04 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Yeah welding an extension on could be an option. I'm looking at ordering that 89mm long one from MSC, there wouldn't be any problems cleaning up 30mm of threads with a tap that has 22mm of cutting length right?

Just take your time when removing it so it doesn't bind up. 

How bad are the threads damaged? Could you add a groove or v notch to the first 3-4 threads of the bolt to chase the thread rather than risking cutting them?

GameboyRMH
6/13/24 10:10 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Are you certain it's 1.5?  I'm finding a decent few from my normal suppliers in m13x1.0, but not anything in 1.5?

That looks like the closest measurement and it's also what Subaru used on the EJ25's crank bolt, this is for an FA20/4UGSE crank bolt. If I try 1mm it fits slightly inside the threads:

Edit: Dividing the threaded length by the number of thread rotations gives around 1.4~1.6 depending on how I count threads as well

GameboyRMH
6/13/24 10:13 p.m.

As to whether to use a chaser or tap, the mechanic requested a tap but if I could get a chaser as well that might be helpful. We don't know how bad they're messed up yet. If we try to put the original bolt back in, it goes in for about 3 turns, then jams off to a side.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/13/24 11:00 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Yep, that sure looks 1.5 to me!  Odd!

I checked emuge, osg, kennametal, and iscar...

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
6/14/24 6:28 a.m.
Welly
Welly New Reader
6/14/24 1:41 p.m.

https://www.tryhardindustrial.ca

Give these guys a call.

Or this one.

https://www.sowatool.com

Welly
Welly New Reader
6/14/24 1:46 p.m.
GameboyRMH
6/14/24 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Welly :

No luck on the first two, Taylor Tool could fabricate me a tap but that won't save money. I'll have to check with Cambridge Tap.

I ordered one of the Amazon specials as a fallback option, I've got a tip on a local machine shop that might lend out a tool...

Edit: tried to order one from MSC first but they can't give any shipping estimates, in cost or time, outside of the US...

No Time
No Time UberDork
6/14/24 5:45 p.m.

Have you looked into getting a cheap borescope from the jungle site? 

If you can see what's going on with the threads you might be able to see what the problem is and avoid needing the tap. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J400B16njR4KKTVHZUbPfTapFwHrpglNFaXoKkzEvJV9CdyuKaxohKdfLD6IqcHi