1 2
Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/19/13 1:59 p.m.

Rain + someone driving too fast on the Interstate. Based on the fact that he passed multiple other cars before losing control and the presence of an uber-cool Euro license plate, I'd assume we're dealing with someone who was an "enthusiast" of fast driving.

http://www.herald-mail.com/news/hm-vehicle-bursts-into-flames-after-crash-on-i70-near-big-pool-westbound-lanes-closed-20130219,0,2611100.story

Seriously, slow down when it's wet out. Who cares if it takes you an extra 5 minutes to get wherever you're going.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/19/13 2:07 p.m.

Wow I like how he cleanly peeled the side of the car off.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/19/13 2:16 p.m.

Every time it snows/turns to ice, the majority of vehicles I see plowed into one another or in the ditch upside down are AWD vehicles with more letters describing safety features than a harvard professor.

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
2/19/13 2:20 p.m.

AWD and 4wd give you tons more traction for accelerating,.... but you don't brake any better on snow ice or any other slick road conditions. You just get stuck quicker.

AWD just means the tow truck has farther to pull you out of the ditch, field or forest.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/19/13 2:23 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Wow I like how he cleanly peeled the side of the car off.

I think the fire crew probably did that.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/13 2:23 p.m.

I think you slow slower with AWD.. all that weight from the drivetrain over a 2wd car

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/19/13 2:37 p.m.

It probably caught on fire prior to the wreck.....

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
2/19/13 2:45 p.m.
yamaha wrote: It probably caught on fire prior to the wreck.....

probably the CEL bulb got busted in the wreck and the glowing filament ignited the gas.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/19/13 2:52 p.m.

It probably had less to do with the car having AWD and more to do with the driver being a 22 year old male. I know I did a lot of stupid driving when I was that age. I was just luckier.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/19/13 2:57 p.m.

Sorry the guy died in the crash, that's got to be a horrible way to go.

I see rubberheads all the time who are convinced their ABS/AWD/traction control/airbags will make them safe no matter what. These are the same people who look at the engine through the key hole.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/19/13 3:01 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
I think the fire crew probably did that.

He was pulled clear of the burning wreckage before the first responders got there...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/19/13 3:04 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: These are the same people who look at the engine through the key hole.

Is this early onset of dementia? I mean, it was funny a couple days ago but now you are just repeating yourself.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
2/19/13 3:12 p.m.
HappyJack wrote: AWD just means the tow truck has father to pull you out of the ditch, field or forest.

I also like: AWD just means you hit the guardrail at a higher speed.

No one drives safer then someone who knows they are in an unsafe car. So what happens when you give them a super safe one....

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/13 3:20 p.m.

The side panel is one big piece that can be removed and replaced. I've never seen one peel off like that before though. Makes me wonder if that car's been wrecked before and poorly repaired.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
2/19/13 3:35 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: These are the same people who look at the engine through the key hole.
Is this early onset of dementia? I mean, it was funny a couple days ago but now you are just repeating yourself.

Hello. Hey, did you see my slippers? I used to carry an onion in my pocket because that was the style of the times. Good bye.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
2/19/13 3:47 p.m.

Maybe the ownership of an aging Audi drove him to suicide?

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/19/13 3:50 p.m.
Ian F wrote: It probably had less to do with the car having AWD and more to do with the driver being a 22 year old male. I know I did a lot of stupid driving when I was that age. I was just luckier.

agreed

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
2/19/13 4:27 p.m.

To be fair, it wasn't just rain on the roads. A wintry mix was falling in this area at this time, and a slight buildup was depositing on the outside edges of either lane.

I saw quite a few cars turn a bit too hard into the fast lane and fishtail because of the conditions.

Its too bad this lesson had to be learned the hard way.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
2/19/13 4:33 p.m.

B5 S4 2.7T?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/13 5:00 p.m.

AWD and good tires, on the other hand, does.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
2/19/13 5:44 p.m.

Dumbass kid driving waaaay too fast on public roads. Thank god he didn't hurt anyone else. Darwin at work.

jhaas
jhaas HalfDork
2/19/13 5:56 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: B5 S4 2.7T?

wheels and chrome window trim say 12v V6, but you never know...article says its a 1997, so probably just an A4. engine looks to be V6.

they have finally become afforable to idiots.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/19/13 6:07 p.m.

When 4Xs went mainstream the average Joe or Jane could go anywhere.. great selling point by dealers but they must have forgotten to mention the part of using caution and driving to the limitations of the road.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Intern
2/19/13 6:09 p.m.

Meh. Trooper could have done it.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/19/13 6:21 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Meh. Trooper could have done it.

If you mean, burned to the ground and killed its occupants, probably.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NiE57q1Xc5uWrbkAUOF4qpsRzCq4xl2EvY6dnkykLXee35DCOkUqVYt0gGJjqsBI