Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/12 3:59 p.m.

I find that I can no longer live without a band saw.

My grandfather's old 1940's era Delta was the first power tool that I was ever allowed to use. He kept it in top shape since he depended on it. I inherited it a long time ago, but it got used hard and neglected. Its bearings were going bad, the wheels were worn and it began to throw it's blades with such regularity I got rid of it. It was probably salvageable, but I had too many other projects going on.

I'm debating now between buying a newer used one or restoring an old one. Since that machine was the only one that I ever used, I'm wondering if there would be anything that I would be missing by going vintage versus new(er). The heavy weight and likelihood of coming mounted to a solid stand is pushing me toward an old one, though I'm concerned about parts availability and reliability.

Thoughts?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
11/19/12 4:19 p.m.

RESTORE THE OLD ONE. YES I AM YELLING!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/19/12 4:35 p.m.

I have a badass old Do-All from the 50's that is in pieces, half way through a restoration. It is available.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
11/19/12 4:37 p.m.

Restore the old one - but unless it's been modified w/ a jackshaft or a tiny pulley on motor - huge pulley on the machine - it's going to be WAY too fast to cut metal beyond thin aluminum.

I bought my vertical band saw first, and wanted one machine to do everything - it took forever, but I found a 14" Walker-Turner that has a 2-range gearbox + 4-step pulleys. The band speeds are from 40-3000 feet per minute.

It's alright for steel, but the little 4x6" horizontal Jet was better, and the 7x12" horizontal I have now is great.

So, a nice old iron vertical is very useful - I use mine all the time. But for cutting steel rods, angles, bars, aluminum extrusion and bar - the horizontal is king.

One more thing - the tires on the band saw wheels are probably old, dried up rubber. Replace them with the new urethane kind. After installation they need to be crowned so the blade tracks properly - it's easy to do with a small angle grinder and a tricky technique. If you get there, shoot me a message and I'll share.

slopecarver
slopecarver New Reader
11/19/12 4:40 p.m.

owwm.org I have an atlas that is very similar to that, a pleasure to use. Delta did make a low speed version of that saw for metal guys.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/19/12 4:51 p.m.

I have an old 14" Delta of about similar vintage. I also have a big 20" Grizzly, and a older horizontal metal cutter.

The Delta is king. By far.

Yeah, the Grizzly will re-saw or cut timbers bigger than anything the Delta can ever consider. And the horizontal is the pips for whacking metal stock to length.

But the Delta has a soul.

Rebuild one.

And if you decide to make a trip for Dave's Do-All, let me know. I might make you a deal on the horizontal if you'd like to consider 2.

Woody
11/19/12 4:55 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I have a badass old Do-All from the 50's that is in pieces, half way through a restoration. It is available.

That's a little too far away for me. Besides, if I were that close to Atlanta, I'd have to start dragging cars home.

Woody
11/19/12 5:00 p.m.
motomoron wrote: One more thing - the tires on the band saw wheels are probably old, dried up rubber. Replace them with the new urethane kind. After installation they need to be crowned so the blade tracks properly - it's easy to do with a small angle grinder and a tricky technique. If you get there, shoot me a message and I'll share.

I think that the old rubber, combined with dull blades, was the main problem with my old saw.

I recently read about urethane wheels and I'll contact you about how to crown them when the time comes.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine New Reader
11/19/12 5:59 p.m.

Another vote for restore- I have a 1944 craftsman that is in perfect order and far better construction than most anything out there. The wheels are typically standard sizes on these old machines, so switching to urethane tires is easy. Be sure to check blade sizes though- I need to make a shim for mine so I can use common blade sizes.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
11/20/12 4:38 a.m.

There's really no improvements with a new bandsaw over an old bandsaw. The design hasn't changed.

A larger named tool will have more accessory support. But beyond a rip fence and a miter, the other jigs and fixtures are easily made at home in your own shop.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
11/20/12 7:10 a.m.

Where do you get parts for the old ones? I have a delta very much like the one in the picture, but it too throws blades. It sits in a corner of the shop with other barely useable old tools. A drill press that wobbles, a lathe with only a 4 jaw chuck and no tool rest, a dust collector and a radial arm saw that run on three phase 220, etc.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fwwrx6XThGh2GmC2AgiV8pkO2Vq85LtVVBErmTaG9PppE89f7SbSeUQuIbaas7ft