JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
5/26/10 6:46 a.m.
Haggerty Insurance's website said: For years, car guys have been speculating about the hordes of automotive treasures hidden away on the communist island. We’re not talking about the ’58 Chryslers and ’55 Chevys that hide in plain sight on every side street in Havana, but the really rare stuff — the playthings of the former moneyed elite of Cuba . Finally, there’s something more than rumor and innuendo. These photographs clearly show – albeit in rough and somewhat incomplete shape – a Mercedes 300SL Gullwing; a 300SL roadster (with Volkswagen Beetle tail lights); what appears to be an Abarth Zagato 750 Double Bubble; and el coche de misterio: some sort of apparently Vignale-bodied roadster with portholes and Borrani wire wheels.
Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
5/26/10 7:13 a.m.

Link?

kcmoken
kcmoken New Reader
5/26/10 7:15 a.m.

http://www.hagerty.com/lifestyle/hobby_article.aspx?id=68872

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
5/26/10 8:32 a.m.
kcmoken wrote: http://www.hagerty.com/lifestyle/hobby_article.aspx?id=68872

Thanks. I had meant to include it. Sorry about that.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
5/26/10 1:33 p.m.

I found one of those back in teh early '90s in a Penny Saver ad up in Washington state. Was looking for a motorcycle and there was a "'55 Mercedes GoldWing" listed in the motorcycle section, not running, for $5k.

Called the guy up and he said yes, it was a 1955 Mercedes, but it was in ratty shape and I'd have to tow it out of there. I quickly got a buddy of mine and we scrounged up the money, and drove over to where it was at (up by North Bend), and there in a dilapidated garage next to the guys old farmhouse was a Gullwing much in the shape as the one pictured. No rust because it was an aluminum body, though it was beat up, tore up interior, and the rubber was weathered real bad. And there was a person there already with cash in hand, who also had brought along more than enough to out-bid us.

And that's my csb.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
5/26/10 1:52 p.m.

Explain this: After seeing this thread I clicked the link and flipped through it really quickly, didn't even read the story, just scrolled the pics and clicked back to GRM-land. So I check my email and I had a message in my junk folder from Hagerty asking me if I'm looking for insurance. I've never gotten any emails from them before and I never signed up for anything or clicked anything one their site, just scrolled down and then clicked the back arrow. How the hell did they get my email address from that?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 3:13 p.m.

I got the same e-mail, but I'm a satisfied Hagerty customer.

Yavuz
Yavuz New Reader
5/26/10 3:28 p.m.

Whoa. I got that hagerty email today too... well before I clicked on this thread. Maybe it went out to all GRM members?

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
5/26/10 3:32 p.m.

I got it as well...before I checked this thread.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 3:53 p.m.

Got it too, but don't remember the timing vs. this thread.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
5/26/10 3:58 p.m.

Just once I would like to stumble across one of these "finds"...just once...4-5 cars...owner just wants them out of the barn...

kcmoken
kcmoken New Reader
5/26/10 4:25 p.m.

Hmmm, I didn't get the message. I even checked my junk email folder, not in there either.

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
5/26/10 4:42 p.m.

I got a message from hagerty too, but long before I checked this thread

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
5/26/10 8:01 p.m.

FWIW, I got the message from Hagerty, too....that's where I found the story about the barn find. I posted the link here after reading it on their website.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
5/26/10 9:44 p.m.

I also recieved "that" email from Hagerty, a day before ever clicking on this thread.

Splain, please............

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
5/26/10 9:48 p.m.

Obviously, someone on some website we frequently visit shared our email addresses....

Powar
Powar Dork
5/27/10 1:15 p.m.

I just figured that I got it because they insure my 96, but then I realized that I have that policy tied to a different email address. Odd.

JaysonAllen
JaysonAllen
6/1/10 8:51 a.m.

Hi everyone, A co-worker sent me a link to this thread. I am the Digital Marketing Manager @ Hagerty and I wanted to let you to know that we did recently send emails that included this article. The first one, our regular monthly newsletter, was sent to customers/email newsletter subscribers. If you are a Hagerty customer and have not unsubscribed or you found our site and subscribed on your own, you would have received this email. The second was sent on our behalf by Raceway Media (RacingJunk.com) as part of an advertising deal we have with them. If you have registered with their site and/or participated in an event that subscribed you to their email offering, you would have received that email. It was a sales email but also included newsletter sneak-peeks. I assure you that there is no funny business going on here, just coincidence. We have a very strict privacy policy. We would never share your information and we follow email laws to the letter. All of our emails have unsubscribe links in the footer. Hopefully that explains everything. Sorry for the annoyance that the timing of these may have caused. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. We really appreciate your business and your dedication to the hobby!

Jayson Allen (jcallen@hagerty.com or 231-933-3789)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/10 9:01 a.m.

Thumbs up to Hagerty for following up on this.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/1/10 11:53 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: I found one of those back in teh early '90s in a Penny Saver ad up in Washington state. Was looking for a motorcycle and there was a "'55 Mercedes GoldWing" listed in the motorcycle section, not running, for $5k. Called the guy up and he said yes, it was a 1955 Mercedes, but it was in ratty shape and I'd have to tow it out of there. I quickly got a buddy of mine and we scrounged up the money, and drove over to where it was at (up by North Bend), and there in a dilapidated garage next to the guys old farmhouse was a Gullwing much in the shape as the one pictured. No rust because it was an aluminum body, though it was beat up, tore up interior, and the rubber was weathered real bad. And there was a person there already with cash in hand, who also had brought along more than enough to out-bid us. And that's my csb.

Oh man, those aluminum bodies are really rare(r). The guy at the shop where I get my racing parts had an aluminum bodied one until recently.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
6/1/10 1:32 p.m.

My friends and I were talking about the amount of money you could make smuggling rare cars like those out of Cuba.

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
6/1/10 4:23 p.m.
Woody wrote: Thumbs up to Hagerty for following up on this.

Yeah, now I know what happened. I entered a toolbox contest at racingjunk.com....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yiFXRpUUCELxLOUYQeFUxilE6NVX3AwuliS7JXBs60x4ISe21crohj5gREC90L0M