1 2 3
VanillaSky
VanillaSky HalfDork
8/17/10 4:56 p.m.

I'm a Five Guys burger guy. I understand they are kind of spendy, but I never order the regular burger (2 patties), and my wife and I share a regular fry. We both order a little bacon and cheese with mushrooms and grilled onions.

I tried the Angus at Mickey D's, and it was crap. A Quarter Pounder with Cheese is a better burger IMO.

I REALLY like Hardee's/Carl's Jr. burgers. Their mushroom swiss on a Frisco roll is hard to beat.

There's not really a burger I've had from BK that I didn't like. I do think anything with more than one patty of meat is a bit too much, though.

We have a pretty sketchy diner here in town called Angel's that's got a really good burger. It's been there since the 30's and should be a destination for anyone that passes through town. Order a cheeseburger platter with a side of fried pickles. Put the onion rings and some of the fried pickles on the burger. One of the best things you'll ever eat.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 New Reader
8/17/10 5:26 p.m.

I can't be objective about the In N Out thing. I'm one of those guys who left CA and about a month later said "wait, there's no In N Out here". I've been on a mission ever since. The closest In N Out to Denver is in St. George Utah. I have it in the "favorites" in my Garmin. When we're in CA, on the first day we'll sometimes do it twice. So it's taken on epic stature for me that probably is beyond what it deserves. But it is a dang fine burger. And the fries! Oh, the fries! Why doesn't everyone do fries like that?! It so simple and so good!

(edit) Oh! We have one of these 5 Guys here in Denver(ish!) Going tonight.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/17/10 5:57 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Went to a 5 Guys a month ago for the first time. That was the nastiest burger I have ever had. The fries were soggy. The building was so noisy you couldn't talk to the person sitting across from you. Having some grease slinger shout over the PA every time someones order was ready didn't help. They had their one chance and blew it. I'll go to McDonalds and get a Big Mac before I set foot in there again. As far a the best fast food burger I would have to go with Hardee's. Best chain restaurant burger, Chilies Classic Bacon Burger. Best burger over all probably Center Point Bar and Grill. Medium rare please with the works please. The best in the world are cooked on my grill in the backyard.

you are 100% insane. You live in Charleston and do not mention "seasme burger" in North Chuck.

http://www.sesameburgersandbeer.com/

You are forthwith commanded to go there as soon as possible. This is not a drill.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
8/17/10 6:00 p.m.

As we have cut out fast food for this year, I haven't tried the McAngus or the 5 guys (but I'd like to go to the latter).

I liked Fuddrucker's, mainly for the toppings and Wendy's dollar menu used to do in a pinch...but I've been on a lifelong quest for the bacon cheeseburger.

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
8/17/10 6:00 p.m.

A Sonic (that's one) opened here in the entire state of Ct. and it made the local nightly news....

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
8/17/10 6:22 p.m.

Lick's on Queen St. in Toronto has a big, heavy, two-hander that's better than home-made.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/17/10 6:31 p.m.

I had my first Hardee's burger in years just this past weekend. As far as I'm concerned , Hardee's used the loosest definition of "meat" the government would allow when they slapped together those abominations and sold them to an unsuspecting public. but apparently they've revamped their beef recently, and coupled with the fact that I was towing and the only place that looked like the van and trailer would fit was a Hardee's I crossed my fingers and gave them some money.

Success. Apparently the new recipe worked, and I'd have to rank it as one of the finest fast food burgers currently available. Hopefully it wasn't an aberration.

Of course, we have what I believe to be the best single burger I've ever had right here in the Daytona area at The Brickyard, but it doesn't qualify for fast food really. I would proudly stack their burgers up against any in the world, however.

jg

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 New Reader
8/17/10 6:32 p.m.

Best burger I ever had was a bar and grill in San Francisco called Grumpy's. It was just around the corner from where I worked at the time. Something perfect about them. Fries were those really thin cut with spicy salt. Crap, I want that.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
8/17/10 7:32 p.m.

Hardees for a chain (also Fudruckers)

Daytona= Brickyard

locally = backyard and cook out (both are chains just not as big as the top)

there used to be a little hole in the wall road side type place out side of Clayton Ga that was in-berkley-credable... it's gone now darn it....

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
8/17/10 8:51 p.m.

I vote 5 guys over i/o.
I will say though that I do not like the 5 guys prices or deceptive ways. A regular burger is two giant patties (one patty is called a small.) Order the small. A small order of fries is enough for two people (and priced like it should fed two people.) Amazingly, they sell a large also; my guess is 4 peoples worth.

If you are lucky enough to have J. Alexander's Restaurant near you, I amazingly recommend the burger! Sure, it is not cheap at around $10 but I think it is worth it.
http://www.jalexanders.com/index.php
This chain of "sit down" medium priced restaurants is not "fast food" but it is darn good and surprisingly consistent. I regularly eat at 4 locations while traveling and it is always fine. Also try their lemonade made at the bar with a real lemon juicing machine, simple syrup and soda water. Very much like the lemonade you get at a county fair.
Pair your burger with the house special Gruyere Mac & Cheese for the full artery clogging experience!

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/17/10 9:21 p.m.

I love 5 Guys. It's the best burger money can buy...period...

When I am really hankering for a Turkey Burger, FatBurger makes a good one...

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
8/17/10 9:24 p.m.

Never had a chain burger that could beat a Culver's Butter Burger... too bad they are only regional. Other areas of the countries could use a little of their awesome custard as well!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/17/10 9:55 p.m.

I'm going to put White Castles in a class all by themselves. For the rest of the merely mortal, fast food burgers, Whataburger and In N Out would have to be at the top of my list. Sonic would be up there, too. Hmmmm, suddenly just got hungry.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
8/17/10 10:59 p.m.

5 guys is better than in n out, but not for the money. In n out rocks!

driver109x
driver109x Reader
8/18/10 12:02 a.m.

Another vote for In n Out. I also like Tommy's...chili cheese burger or hot dog with chili cheese fries with everything on it and a large rootbeer...mmmmm yummy and messy good times.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/18/10 12:25 a.m.

Don't forget A&W. The drive up locations are TOTALLY different from the regular fast food ones.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 New Reader
8/18/10 1:35 a.m.

Okay, we went to Five Guys tonight. It was good! They need to toast the buns. The four of us got a large fry. The girl at the counter said it would feed four and she was right.

The burger was good! I will go back. Dang the lame bun. Otherwise pretty good. Not the same as In N Out. I just like it better. But close enough for those of us who aren't in California (anymore).

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/18/10 7:11 a.m.

a few I forgot to mention are Frischs - Big Boy on Rye and if youre in the north cincinnati area (Landen/Loveland), try the Red Rock Tavern (Old 20 Mile Stand) - they serve a double bacon burger on a pretzel roll and have the best onion rings evar, and also in the West Chester area, Win, Place or Show (horse racing themed sports bar) they have a great burger and I suggest the slaw

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/10 7:57 a.m.

Guess what we don't have in Pittsburgh? In N Out, 5 Guys, or Checkers. For good burgers, we go local, although I do love Red Robin for a chain.

I went to In N Out when I was in Cali and it was OK, but definitely not worth the hype. You expect burgers handed down from heaven by the almighty himself by the way people rave about them! It was a meat patty on a bun, not a religious experience.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
8/18/10 8:27 a.m.

Though I like Five Guys, they're not even close to my favorite burger. There's a great chain called Cheeseburger Bobby's here in Atlanta where I usually take the fam (we'd go to Red Robin if it was closer). But The Counter is the joint that makes heaven on a bun.

Hailfire97x
Hailfire97x New Reader
8/18/10 9:02 a.m.

For fast food, I'd have to rank In n' Out as godliness. Unfortunately, that's only a 3-days every other year experience for me, so I have to settle elsewhere.

As for large chains, Carl's Jr./Hardees is probably the best I get. Two that are close and tie for second are Wendy's and Sonic. Otherwise, a regular McDouble is enough for me

Chili's burgers are pretty good, though, but expensive. Arby's has/had those Roast Beef "burgers" I would get when we went there, too.

But nothing beats what my dad makes.

TJ
TJ SuperDork
8/18/10 9:26 a.m.

Anyone like veggie burgers with bacon?

I've been to in and out a few times when I had to be in California for other reasons. It was pretty good I guess, but I don't understand making a big deal out of them.

I like 5 guys - get the small bacon cheesburger and small fries. I only like their fries when they are covered in vinegar. I don't go there too often. The wife is not a fan and if I go for lunch I am still full at dinner time. The 5 guys burgers are nothing special - they taste pretty much like what you could make at home - that's why I like them.

I haven't had a burger from Hardees, BK, McD's, Wendy's, or other fast food place in so long I can't really comment one way or the other on them. I only eat them in an emergency and don't really consider them food so my expectations are so low that they don't usuall dissapoint. I did go to a Steak and Shake this week. It was a burger. Not my favorite.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
8/18/10 9:51 a.m.

Found the photos my wife took the last time we went to The Counter. It was so good we took pix: You're looking at a blue cheese burger with tzakziki sauce and pepperonicis, and their Parmesan and garlic rosemary aioli fries. Drool.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/10 9:57 a.m.

Went to a class near Orlando and was told by the instuctor we had to try the local 5 Guys. It was good and now we have one here (SW Ohio), so that's a win. Wendy's, oddly enough, still has a decent burger IMO. Haven't had a Hardee's in a while, but remember their angus was pretty good if a bit greasy (needed a LOT of napkins).

Worse burger ever (that I had): BK. Literally tasted like warm, wet cardboard with mayo. With all of the kudos for BK it probably just goes to show you that your burger experience depends on location and maybe even owners/workers.. (Y-BE-MV)

Let's see...almost 11:00....maybe I'll go to lunch early as suddenly I'm real hungry...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/18/10 10:00 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Guess what we don't have in Pittsburgh? In N Out, 5 Guys, or Checkers. For good burgers, we go local, although I do love Red Robin for a chain.

There are a few 5 guys in teh pittsburgh area.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zPHKTu7fj7okB2byg143sE948svrxD4a1X99Ebvhl1AsUzVOJYSdCSpzICxtHN1p