1 2 3
Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/20/11 11:40 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Audi RS6 Avant? Fast, handles well, practical, has AWD so it can go in any weather, super-lux interior.

That's what I was thinking. If I was only allowed to own a single car (purchase cost not a real factor), that would be it, for all the reasons you mention. If I am trying to pick a "BEST" car, it will definitely have to be an all-rounder, even though that inevitably means it will not be best ant any particular thing.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/11 11:48 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Either the one you just bought, or the one you just got running.

+1

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/20/11 12:15 p.m.

That's like asking about a man's taste in women—there's a million different answers and they're all right.

For me, it's an Odyssey towing a LeGrand, or a 6' blonde. Depending on which question you're asking.

Per

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/20/11 12:25 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: That's like asking about a man's taste in women—there's a million different answers and they're all right. For me, it's an Odyssey towing a LeGrand, or a 6' blonde. Depending on which question you're asking. Per

You are wrong.

It is an Exige S towing an R 1200 GS Adventure on the way to take Kate Beckesale to bed.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/20/11 12:25 p.m.

If i had to live with ONE car for the rest of my life.....

Sorry, the answer is NOT Miata.

Either ST205 Celica GT4.

Or an Audi RS2. Because ZOMG.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/20/11 12:29 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: It is an AMC Rebel Machine towing a Caterham 7 R500 on the way to take Kate Beckesale to bed.

Fixed for you. You got one thing right.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/20/11 12:31 p.m.

Full Race R14 - RB26DETT swapped S14 with ATTESA AWD, and the steering wheel on the proper side of the trans tunnel ...yeah, Id be happy for eternity with that car!

...oh, and Jessica Biel in volleyball shorts

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
10/20/11 12:40 p.m.

MKII GTI.

I don't think there is anything I can say that almost every car publication hasn't already said about it.

Utility, handling, fun, cheap, economical, dependable, and potential to be stupid fast.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
10/20/11 1:59 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: For me, it's an Odyssey towing a LeGrand, or a 6' blonde. Depending on which question you're asking. Per

A blonde? I'll see your blonde and raise you one red head. Not 6' tall though, I like the average height ones myself...I'm only 5'9".

I agree there are a million variables to define "best". That's what caught my eye when I saw that headline online yesterday. But I was posing the question using criteria I thought up. Has to be a new car. And pick one that hits its' intended target market/audience perfectly. That would be a combination of performance, price, versatility if it's meant to be so, luxury if it's a luxury oriented car, etc...

alex
alex SuperDork
10/20/11 2:19 p.m.

Per's right - I'll take an Odyssey towing a 6' blonde.

...wait...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/11 2:27 p.m.

The best car in the world is pretty easy: Toyota Camry or Corolla. They are sold worldwide and they are almost ideally suited to the definition of being a car. Will they beat a 911? No, but the 911 is a "sports" car. Is an S-Class better engineered? Sure, but cost is no object so that is easy. Do they haul as much as an F-150? No, but that's a truck, not a car. For hitting the target of "car" they are hard to beat.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
10/20/11 2:28 p.m.

A midsize sporty sedan or a big gt coupe with at least a 6 cyl...

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
10/20/11 2:56 p.m.

The "best" car is the first one you own. Because no matter how crappy, run down or goofy it was, every one of us would like to have it back. Maybe to restore, or to hop up now that we are older and have the money.

-Rob

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
10/20/11 3:29 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: The "best" car is the first one you own. Because no matter how crappy, run down or goofy it was, every one of us would like to have it back. Maybe to restore, or to hop up now that we are older and have the money.

Yeah, I didn't like my first car. I liked the experience of driving, but I didn't like that car. Or my second car. It wasn't until my 4th or 5th (I think) that I got something that actually clicked with me.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
10/20/11 3:35 p.m.

If a Sportmobile got 50mpg I don't think I'd need another car...I'd be too busy exploring the world.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
10/20/11 3:43 p.m.

That answer obviously depends on how much money you have. I would contend that the best car gives the best "bang" for the buck. What the "bang" is of course varies by person. I guess you could figure out an average.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
10/20/11 4:10 p.m.

1979 Trans Am 400 4spd ws6 no contest I win this game!!!

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
10/20/11 4:21 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic: And the Caterham has its own Matchbox car.

Mine, a four door Mirage with Lorraine in it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/11 4:27 p.m.

Subaru WRX Sti Wagon.

It hauls 5 people + stuff. Can get good mileage. Has a 6-speed manual. Is AWD with a rally suspension so you can go off-pavement. Also, it's fast. Kinda hard to beat as the best "all-around" car.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Reader
10/20/11 4:40 p.m.

You guys keep trying but clearly I've already won this game

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
10/20/11 5:20 p.m.

One that always starts and nothing ever wears out on it.

But that doesn't exist, so Miata.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
10/20/11 5:52 p.m.

V-Tec mini and a small bore two stroke motorcycle.

redrabbit
redrabbit Reader
10/20/11 6:36 p.m.

Tardus & Amy Pond, oh wrong forum. After my week driving in cleveland I think I need a ZAV. I actually saw a van in my rear view mirror flip over. It was about 8 to 10 car lengths behind me. It sounded like a tool box half full of wrenches being dropped on the floor. That was only Monday.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/20/11 8:02 p.m.
EdenPrime wrote: In reply to poopshovel: You lost me at bench seat.

Judging from the looks of your front bumper, I can't say I'm the least bit surprised. And damn those of you who said I'm right. The stack needs to get a little thicker before I can justify any more toys for daddy.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
10/20/11 8:14 p.m.
redrabbit wrote: Tardus & Amy Pond, oh wrong forum. After my week driving in cleveland I think I need a ZAV. I actually saw a van in my rear view mirror flip over. It was about 8 to 10 car lengths behind me. It sounded like a tool box half full of wrenches being dropped on the floor. That was only Monday.

This week on Midweek Motorsport, they mentioned that they had their own TARDIS. I imagine theirs looks a bit like a Porsche 962 so it blends in in the pits.

That's the one I want.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C4nBWbvjqpup3Z7liwc8zwOrhkErCw5FxSjALDGxHZ0cztZusxArZmatUa6j9HXg