JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
6/30/13 11:43 a.m.

ABF U-ship

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/30/13 11:43 a.m.

I've used Penske and Uhaul for in-town moving, and the Penske trucks were far newer and were in better mechanical condition. I think they're all individual franchises, though - so a lot comes down to how well the person runs it.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/30/13 11:50 a.m.

Penske.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/30/13 2:14 p.m.

PODS?

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/30/13 4:07 p.m.
mndsm wrote: PODS?

given the option this would be the way I would go...

that being said... I've used Uhaul, Budget, and Penske... given the option I would go Penske and then Budget (uhaul no longer does one way as mentioned above)... Uhaul trucks can vary significantly but I've always gotten a near new truck from Penske (international diesel no less) and a new enough one from budget.

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/30/13 9:51 p.m.

Penske is what I have used in the past. Nearly new both times.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
6/30/13 10:21 p.m.

U-haul is the devil. I have more negative experiences with them than any other company I have ever used for anything in my entire life.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
7/1/13 7:18 a.m.

Penske or Ryder everytime. Uhaul blows.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
7/1/13 7:19 a.m.

I will never use U-Haul if there is any other option. This stems back to the day our rental blew up on I-20 with all my worldly possessions on it, right after I got laid off and sold my home. Of course, this was that old fleet they ran that still had manual transmissions and Armstrong power steering.

The Penske van I rented two years ago to move my daughter home was like a freaking Cadillac compared to anything I've ever gotten from U-Haul.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
7/1/13 7:49 a.m.

Penske is much better than Uhaul. Ryder was bought by Penske so they are one company now.

The only advantage Uhaul has is more locations. Which is a good thing when you realize how crappy some of their vehicles are.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/1/13 8:25 a.m.

Penske with a lift-gate.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
7/1/13 9:19 a.m.

Well, as someone who is moving from TN to FL at the end of this week I can lay some firsthand knowledge.

It all depends on how much crap they have. I have a 3000sq ft house with a boat, and 3 cars to move, so YMMV.

I'm renting two 26' Penske trucks. Cheaper than Budget and U-Haul. If you have AAA or are a Student don't forget your discounts. It's running me right at 2 grand for the 2 trucks and a car trailer, for a one way with unlimited miles.

I got two professional moving companies to price out the move for me, they came and looked at all my stuff and both quoted me 7 grand for the move. I said no thanks, I'll do this myself.

I have done the ABF U-Pack from Houston to TN and was pretty satisfied with them, pretty cheap at the time as I was moving a small apartment, but I would need two trailers now and it was 5 grand for that extra fuel surcharge, same as PODS, 4 grand if you can fit it into one container, 6 grand if you have to get two, like I was going to have to do.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/1/13 11:59 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: U-haul is the devil. I have more negative experiences with them than any other company I have ever used for anything in my entire life.

This.

Penske seems to be the right answer, but they charge accordingly.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
7/1/13 12:03 p.m.

Another vote for Penske; when I moved from CA to AZ I rented the midsize truck and a car trailer. Truck was practically brand new, and didn't have any issues (until I fought a tree while parking. BUY THE INSURANCE!! )

I went with them based on reviews and because they actually reserve a vehicle unlike Uhaul, and I didn't want to show up at Uhaul to find they only had vans or something like that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yDWXawwm2nyQqZo4adAPgUVpENPciCDjjHsQbtIjAX95FgWkV9sIGxgEaVJHSmnb