1 2
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
8/4/15 10:36 a.m.
aircooled wrote: Doing a reasonable depiction of a Puppeteer would have been almost impossible until recently:

Without CGI, you'd have had to make the Puppeteer a puppet.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/4/15 10:39 a.m.

David Eddings "Belgariad" series. Piers Anthony Xanth series. Terry Brooks Shannara series.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
8/4/15 10:59 a.m.

Time and Again, Jack Finney.

They have butchered his "invasion of the body snatchers" enough times...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/4/15 11:19 a.m.

I never knew there were other Niven geeks on here.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
8/4/15 11:46 a.m.

Adrian's Undead Diary.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
8/4/15 1:00 p.m.

I second The Mote in God's Eye and it's first sequel The Gripping Hand.

But mostly, I want an anime adaptation of the Night's Dawn trilogy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night%27s_Dawn_Trilogy

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
8/4/15 1:52 p.m.

Came here to say Neuromancer but was beaten to the punch.

That said, the Dark Tower series needs to make it to film.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
8/4/15 3:58 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Lucifer's Hammer would be good, but I am not sure it would be much different then any other world disaster movie. I think Ringworld or The Mote in God's Eye would be interesting. Kind of large subjects though that would be hard to cover in a movie. The advent of decent character CGI does make the depiction of the alien races much easier though. Doing a reasonable depiction of a Puppeteer would have been almost impossible until recently:

I was thinking Ringworld, too.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
8/4/15 4:01 p.m.

William S. Burroughs' "Naked Lunch." Oh, never mind. They already made it.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/4/15 4:10 p.m.

Patrick Obrien's Master and Commander series. They started it, with Master and Commander (took elements from quite a few books of the series, was very well done) and it really should have been a whole series of at least 3 movies. Unfortunately it appears to be pigeon holed.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/4/15 4:12 p.m.

Oh, and not sure that it can be done--it is said to have been cursed--John Belushi was to have been the lead role, then John Candy to fill his spot, then Chris Farley--but I would love to see A Confederacy of Dunces put on the screen.

Keith_Goodrich
Keith_Goodrich New Reader
8/4/15 4:30 p.m.

Foot Fall. Intelligent baby elephants invading from space.

The Great Zoo of China by Matthew Rielly. Or anything by Matthew Rielly.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/4/15 4:34 p.m.

Pride, prejudice and zombies.

I berkeleying hate Jane Austen. I berkeleying hate all the movie versions. I still have resentment at a college professor that failed me for a paper drawing parallells between this book and the de-maculinization of men. The zombie version of the book made all that much better.

My wife also added the dragon riders of pern to the list that were great books but Hollywood would turn into a clusterberkeley.

My other choice would be damn near anything neil stephenson. The baroque cycle was my favorite books ever.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/15 4:35 p.m.

Not a movie but I just finished Girls of Atomic City and I could see that being one of those short series that History of A&E does.

NOHOME
NOHOME UberDork
8/4/15 4:47 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: The Mission Earth Series By L Ron Hubbard. (Before he became a Scientology freak) I enjoyed the heck out of that series and always thought it would make a good Sci-Fi movie franchise.

Ditto. But can you imagine what that freak-show of a religion would do if someone tried?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
8/4/15 4:49 p.m.

The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/4/15 8:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

I can't say too much bad about the Keira Knightly / Matthew McFayden version, because I get lucky damn near every time we watch it.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/15 8:27 p.m.

I came in here to say Snow Crash. Every few years, I Google around to see if something is going on. There is almost always something, but it never produces a movie. I just need it to not be another Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy.

Anyhow, teh googlez gave me this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2224100/ (In development, most isn't visible for free, though something said updated May 2015. There are IMDB user comments from 2013 though.

http://www.geek.com/news/snow-crash-movie-to-be-written-and-directed-by-joe-cornish-1496727/ (Joe Cornish?)

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/15 9:06 p.m.

In response to NOHOME:

Please...no That is the stuff nightmares are made of.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
8/4/15 9:08 p.m.

"Blood Crazy" by Simon Clark. Another "post-apocolyptic" tale. Kind of a zombie tale, all the adults go nuts, and the kids have to survive. He's an English guy, read it with that sensibility. And then think of what the movie would look like if the folks that made "28 Days Later" had picked Mr. Clark's book instead.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/5/15 12:14 a.m.

Starship Troopers. And no, they didn't make a movie out of it already -- they made a stupid movie that had nothing to do with the book, and then slapped the book's name on it.

Oh, and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress would be awesome to. I gather they're working on it, although I expect they'll screw it up

e46potenza
e46potenza Reader
8/5/15 6:46 a.m.

I've been wishing for a snow crash movie and a good omens movie for years. Good omens will get made eventually because of the success of gaimans other films from (stardust, paranorman, etc) but snow crash probably won't. The question will be whether sandman gets made before good omens

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
8/5/15 7:17 a.m.
mtn wrote: Oh, and not sure that it can be done--it is said to have been cursed--John Belushi was to have been the lead role, then John Candy to fill his spot, then Chris Farley--but I would love to see *A Confederacy of Dunces* put on the screen.

Clearly, they did not approach the movie with the proper theology and geometry. But if they did, I'd like to see that one too.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/5/15 8:14 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
mtn wrote: Oh, and not sure that it can be done--it is said to have been cursed--John Belushi was to have been the lead role, then John Candy to fill his spot, then Chris Farley--but I would love to see *A Confederacy of Dunces* put on the screen.
Clearly, they did not approach the movie with the proper theology and geometry. But if they did, I'd like to see that one too.

How timely? Posted yesterday: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Nick-Offerman-Led-CONFEDERACY-OF-DUNCES-Premiere-Headed-to-Broadway-the-Big-Screen-20150804

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2RZTEGoMcMbW4v8W5kQBwW7JfoVyLtFo6Hdjc5Lbgy8kIJSXwqUt2QSP79CyNfeq