1 2
Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/23/13 8:46 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Okay, so the term "man cave" is out the door. How about "Zen Room?" "Battle Dome?"

"The Bar". Coworker has a self described man cave that is a converted shed in his back yard with all his (very nice) brewing equipment, a 4 tap kegerator, and bar.

His parties are fun.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/23/13 8:50 a.m.
PHeller wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: A man cave needs a urinal, some way to play music and a fridge that makes ice. everything else is pretty much optional.
You put ice in your beer?

I put ice in my bourbon.

And I'll call it whatever I like because people who get worked up over names are the sort of people who can't tell a pollack joke because it's inappropriate. So berkeley you (not you as in YOU, but the "you" who went off about what we call things). My MAN CAVE has two race cars, two welders, two jacks, four scales, 16 jack stands, a tool chest, a beer fridge, bourbon, a cement floor, and a bar with one stool (I call it a berkeleying workbench... but names again). I still need to put in that urinal.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
7/23/13 8:52 a.m.

I have a man-cave. It is a recliner in front of a big screen tv.

When I move into my own place (currently renting a room from a friend) I will have the same exact setup, except with my stereo set up (because it is better, although not nearly as loud), about 15 guitar stands around as well as capos everywhere, and a better tv. And by better tv, I mean that it will not be one of those giant ones that sits on the floor, it will be whatever the best tv I can buy with $300 is. I might throw a kegerator in as well, but I might want that in the kitchen.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
7/23/13 8:58 a.m.
beans wrote: Mans caves are for little boys who don't want to get dirty and feel the need to flex nuts with other guys. I sit in a fold out chair out front of oil-stained-floor-garage and drink Coors Light, watching what is basically the world of Mad Max unfold up and down my street. The only downside is the fridge/pisser/microwave/TV is inside. Probably a good thing, otherwise, I'd never leave the garage.

What happened to this thread? This is not how GRM operates.

Hey beans. You have a man cave. It's your garage. If your lucky, one day you'll have a spot inside the house, too.

My garage doesn't define me, nor does HGTV.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
7/23/13 9:11 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Garage is a bit too hot right now, and cramped. Texas heat gets the garage up to 90+ degrees, and it's filled with cardboard boxes/SWMBO's crap, 2 cars. Trust me, I've had a beer in the garage on Sunday, trying to look at the Civic. By the time the beer was done, my shirt was off and sweat was pouring. Had to get back inside the house to cool off.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
7/23/13 9:12 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: In reply to RossD: Garage is a bit too hot right now, and cramped. Texas heat gets the garage up to 90+ degrees, and it's filled with cardboard boxes/SWMBO's crap, 2 cars. Trust me, I've had a beer in the garage on Sunday, trying to look at the Civic. By the time the beer was done, my shirt was off and sweat was pouring. Had to get back inside the house to cool off.

Solution: Worlds best man cave. A pole barn with 1.5 bays walled off, insulated, and an AC unit.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
7/23/13 9:17 a.m.

Dunno what's the big deal about a berkeleying name.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/23/13 9:24 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: In reply to RossD: Garage is a bit too hot right now, and cramped. Texas heat gets the garage up to 90+ degrees, and it's filled with cardboard boxes/SWMBO's crap, 2 cars. Trust me, I've had a beer in the garage on Sunday, trying to look at the Civic. By the time the beer was done, my shirt was off and sweat was pouring. Had to get back inside the house to cool off.

I hear you - in PA we have been in the 90s and humid for weeks. I'm losing weight doing race car prep. Nothing like a welding jacket, gloves and a hard deadline to make you reconsider your priorities.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/23/13 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
7/23/13 9:43 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Ian F wrote: Man Cave = Home Theater Room w/ cheesy decor. Of course, I have a house and live alone. Just about every room is filled with bikes, guitars and car parts.
Because it takes a real man to watch TV. wait...

Ah... I still don't have TV...

...I do have a window A/C unit in the garage for when I'm out there wrenching, although at 5200 btu's, it's about 50% undersized. Tunes are provided by a DeWalt jobsite radio/battery charger.

I've gotten to the point where a/c is an absolute must anymore... I don't mind sweating when I'm exercising, but sweat dripping on my glasses when I'm working annoys the piss out of me.

Protege2886
Protege2886 Reader
7/23/13 9:44 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: So we have an unused room at the house that so far has been a storage unit for boxes and junk. Since I'm super bored at home and SWMBO won't allow me to buy a project car or bike, I have turned to making a "Man Cave". I need a list of stuff for this room. Here is what I have come up with: Big Screen TV for football, racing... Monster fridge or Redbull fridge for beverages A collection of racing posters Some light up beer signs or wall nic nacs Surround Sound system Anything I am missing. Trying to do this on the cheap and in time for foosball season!

Speaking of manly decor, aside from ebay, where can I find cool vintage racing posters?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/23/13 9:53 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Ian F wrote: Man Cave = Home Theater Room w/ cheesy decor. Of course, I have a house and live alone. Just about every room is filled with bikes, guitars and car parts.
Because it takes a real man to watch TV. wait...
Ah... I still don't have TV... ...I do have a window A/C unit in the garage for when I'm out there wrenching, although at 5200 btu's, it's about 50% undersized. Tunes are provided by a DeWalt jobsite radio/battery charger. I've gotten to the point where a/c is an absolute must anymore... I don't mind sweating when I'm exercising, but sweat dripping on my glasses when I'm working annoys the piss out of me.

We have amazon prime on two monitors in the whole house, neither of which is in the garage. I am not super proud of my garage, given the kids toys littering it. I have an old boombox with a broken CD player hooked to an ancient amp with an aux input for a MP3 player. Yeah, way clumsy, but it was free. Other than tools and lights (and parts and toys), that's all I have in my garage.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/23/13 10:09 a.m.

I have a window AC unit in my detached 5ish car workshop. It drops the temp down to about 78 deg on the hot and humid days. I also have a oil fired furnace for the cold days.

I am working on getting the shop re-organized. Right now, I have messes everywhere! I need to build some shelves and actually throw some junk away!

I don't call my shop a "man-cave" I call it: "The place where magic happens".

Rob R.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
7/23/13 7:06 p.m.

I have a "man cave" set up in my living room. If it fits through the front door, it's fair game to come inside to be worked on. The wife gets to deal with it, since she's not the one that takes care of the floors.

My advice is to skip anything beyond 2 channels of sound. Better to work with 2 good speakers than 6 cheapies.

If you're looking to put E36 M3 on the walls, build it like you would build your garage. Turn it into a clean room for assembly. Crank the tunes, chill with the AC, and get to building that engine inside.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/23/13 7:18 p.m.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one that hates the term man cave. Ima keep my E36 M3 wherever I feel like it. That being said, you need a pinball machine.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/23/13 8:51 p.m.

I just call mine The Shop. The garage is for all the other crap and the lawn mowers. The Shop is all mine. 676 square feet of manly bliss. A 2 ton heat pump does a pretty good job of keeping it comfortable all year. It has a V8 Splash cooler that will hold about 15 cases of assorted drinks. A decent stereo to keep the toes tapping. A TV that hasn't been turned on since I moved in. Most improtant, it's got tools, just about everything you would need to cut or reattach just about anything to anything.

What I would really love to have in the house, is a library. That would be my kind of Zen. Just a place to go and forget about the rest of the world. A place to veg out. As soon as the next kid moves out, it might just happen in the FROG, or I might convert the front garage. Books, a killer stereo, a projector or monster TV and a couple of very comfortable chairs. Mahogany shelves and paneling and carpet thick enough to sleep on. Something like this.

No kids allowed, though I might let the wife use it as long as I'm not home.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
7/23/13 9:14 p.m.

Your personal space should have cold beer, a hammer and a lighter. From these three elements everything else is attainable.

fujioko
fujioko Reader
7/23/13 10:19 p.m.

I’m building a man cave out of an old camper, but seriously I’m the last person who needs a man cave.

I’ve been divorced for over ten years and my entire house in a man cave. I have motorcycle parts in my kitchen cabinets and I use the oven to preheat small parts for painting and curing

This picture was taken in my living room about nine years ago. It’s a long story but it involved a catholic nun, a chain saw, motorcycle and somebody’s mom. … It was a bizarre day.

I have since put in hardwood floors and I try to keep the motorcycles in the master bathroom.

…However when I was married, I probably would have been a lot happier with some personal space that included a TV , couch, mini fridge….. and space for a motorcycle.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
7/23/13 11:30 p.m.
fujioko wrote: It’s a long story but it involved a catholic nun, a chain saw, motorcycle and somebody’s mom. …

It's only kinky the first time..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DMoEoVPqWslPc1ShPunPPY6Cowu5NR91JRPb8m6uPQAIVoJceipWMkAr1Py3NEvB